How to Fix Overscan in Windows 10 — Quick 10 Solutions
Imagine you are all set for a family movie night. But when you connect your TV to your laptop to broadcast a movie on a bigger screen, it doesn’t fit your TV screen. All you could see is the movie taking up a smaller area on your TV, and the rest of the screen is plain black space.
Guys, this is an Overscreen issue. Mostly, your monitors, TV screens, and all Windows 10 devices can auto-detect display settings and resolutions. Sometimes, simple miscommunication between Windows 10 PC and other connected display devices can cause an overscan problem.
To be honest, Windows 10 overscan isn’t a big issue. With a little tweak here and there, you can fix overscan Windows 10. For your ease, the TC team has found ten ways to fix overscan Windows 10. So, let’s dig into how to fix the overscan Windows 10 guide now!
How to Fix Overscan Windows 10
Whether your TV or Windows 10 device is causing the overscan issue, you can try the following ten methods to fix overscan:
1. Fix Overscan on Windows 10 by Changing the Screen Resolution
Once you have connected your laptop to your TV screen, you should experiment with different screen resolutions to adjust the screen. To tweak with Windows 10 screen resolution, go to:
- Control Panel from the Start Menu or using Win+X keyboard shortcut.
- Click open the Appearance and Personalisation.
- Select Display and then click on the Change Display Settings. Also, select the Advanced Display Settings link.
- From the drop-down menu next to Resolution, select a different resolution setting.
- Once you find the preferred screen resolution, click to Apply.
2. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Adjusting Display Scaling
If the resolution setting change didn’t work for you, the next step is to check out Windows 10 display scaling. Almost every desktop over scaling issues can be fixed by:
- Go to Start Menu > Settings > System > Display.
- Under the Scale and Layout section, look for the Change the size of text, apps, and other items. Here, you can select different options like 125% or 150% to increase the display items scale.
- To customize the display scale size, you can select the Advanced scaling settings.
3. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using the Intel Graphics Control Panel
If you have a traditional Windows 10 PC running on an Intel CPU, you can use the Intel Graphics Control Panel to fix overscan on Windows 10. You can experiment with numerous options until you get a desirable screen preview, such as:
- Open the Windows search box and enter Intel. You can press CTRL+ALT+F12 keys to launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
- On the Intel Graphics Control Panel screen, you have multiple options to adjust your screen size.
4. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with the Nvidia Control Panel
If you aren’t an Intel CPU user, you will probably be the Nvidia CPU user. In that case, you have to modify Nvidia Control Panel settings to solve the overscan problem. To do so:
- Open the Windows search box and type Nvidia in it.
- Click on the Display and Adjust desktop size and position.
- Check off the Enable desktop resizing option and then select Resize while connected to the monitor.
5. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Calibrating your Monitor
To fix various display issues, Windows 10 comes with a built-in calibration tool. There’s always the option to use third-party calibration tools too. If you want to move ahead with Windows 10 calibration tool, you simply have to:
- Open the Windows 10 Settings and then System.
- Select the Display tab, scroll down to the Advanced display settings.
- Click open the Display adapter properties for the display that you want to calibrate.
- Go to the Color Management > Advanced > Calibrate Display.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration process.
6. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating OS
Updating Windows 10 OS can almost fix all the bugs-related issues. So, if your overscan issue has something to do with outdated OS and bugs, you gotta update your system. You can check system updates from:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates to find new Windows 10 updates for your PC.
- If there’s an update available for you, download and install it immediately. It might take some time to update OS, so be patient.
7. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating Drivers
Another way to squash bugs and glitches in Windows 10 is by updating the system drivers. If your monitors and display adapter drivers are outdated or unreliable, you need to fix them.
To update drivers, you can opt for a straight manual method. However, locating an outdated driver, finding the latest one, and updating it could be a slightly technical and time-consuming task. Therefore, many people prefer to use automatic driver updater to ease their workload. There are plenty of different driver updates available in the market that you can select as per your requirements.
For this guide, we will show you how to update drivers using AVG Driver Updater:
- You can quickly download AVG Driver Updater online. If you already have a tool downloaded on your system, launch it.
- Click on the Scan Drivers.
- Now, AVG Driver Updater will scan your entire system and detect outdated drivers.
- Select the monitors and display adapter if it is on the list.
- Click Update Selected, and the software will automatically update the driver for you.
8. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using Registry
If you have full confidence in your technical abilities, you can adjust Registry settings to fix the overscan Windows 10 problem. Remember one thing, tweaking with Registry can cause irrecoverable damage to your PC, so be cautious. You can follow these steps to safely edit Registry on your computer:
- Click on the Start button, write regedit and enter.
- On the Registry Editor, follow this path — HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
- Here, you will see a few Registry keys. Expand all the keys and look for keys that have 0000 and 0001, 0002, and video subkeys together.
- Take 0000 0001 and 0002 keys backup.
- Choose 0000 key and search HDMI resolution in the right pane.
- Now, select the key that is matching your resolution, right click and select Modify binary data.
- Change all binary values to zero and click OK. Do the same with 0001 and 0002 subkeys and change binary data to zero.
- Next, go to Settings > System > Advanced display settings.
- From the Resolution drop-down menu, first, change resolution other than 1920×1080 and then change back again. Now, when you start TV, the overscan problem won’t annoy you.
9. Fix Overscan Windows 10 from Monitor’s or TV’s Settings
You can tweak your monitor’s and TV’s display settings to resize the screen. For every TV and monitor brand, the display settings menu functions differently. So, you should go through your device’s manual before adjusting the display settings.
10. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with HDMI Cable
You can always use good old disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable method to fix overscan on Windows 10. Sometimes, when the HDMI cable isn’t properly plugged in, it can disturb the connection between your TV and computer. So, recheck the HDMI cable connection to fix the problem. Also, try to use a different HDMI cable to connect display devices.
After exploring ten awesome ways to fix overscan Windows 10, you can now easily save your family movie night. Overscan is a simple problem that can bug you anytime, so always remember these solutions. For more guides like this, keep on following us, and don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments!
Apps available at Google Play Store are the best bet for you to perform numerous tasks seamlessly. Here, Android app developers are working hard to offer you futuristic solutions in your device in the form of nifty apps. Using these smart apps, you can perform from all basic to advanced tasks effortlessly. In this article, […]
Blockchain being a nascent technology is there to disrupt the traditional IT ecosystem with some improved offerings. Here, people are curious to know, access and implement this widely effective technology to gain some amazing results. Likewise, any other new technology it has its own limitations and one of them is cost-effectiveness. Here, companies are supposed […]
What makes blockchain special? Well, you may need to dig deep to understand blockchain technology as a whole but as quick perusal, the sudden rise of cryptocurrencies have definitely increased the interest of common man into blockchain technology lately. At the heart of the surge in blockchain technology is simply the quest and interest surrounding […]
Smartphones while working as a mini computer helps you to perform numerous tasks seamlessly. Further, these nifty devices are used to store plenty of your data in compiled manner. Here, you store your pictures, favorite audio & music files, personal videos, important documents, and lot more. Though smartphones are more potent today still they are […]
Duplicate files accumulate as a digital junk on your device that not only occupies precious storage space but it also affects your device performance negatively. Duplicate files accumulate on your device due to various reasons like same file downloading for multiple times, data backup, file sharing via different apps, due to thumbnails and other reasons. […]
iPhone X was much touted device of 2017 with a lot of speculations and expectations. Hence, Apple has tried to put some amazing features to it like Face ID but everything wasn’t sorted when users started using this device. Here, various iPhone X problems have started occurring over time. In this article, we have discussed […]
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a process of designing machines that have the ability to think in a certain way and react to the situation. Here, it is the intelligence of the machines which makes tasks easy for human. You may like it or not but AI could be used for anything say it for Google’s […]
Your powerful Windows computer may start crawling over time when not taken care of properly. Sluggish Windows performance is a common issue most users face after a period of time. The primary reasons behind it include a lot of junk files, obsolete apps & programs, virus issues, outdated software, outdated drivers, and more. While we […]
Lot is slated for 2018 when it comes to launch of new tech products. Here, users are waiting for new mobiles, laptops, smart TVs, smart watches, smart cars, audio & music systems, VRs, GPS devices, smart glasses and what not. Though 2017 alone have offered most advanced gadgets and gears still the wait is on […]
Duplicate contacts on any device cause a lot of trouble, as it not only increases contact search time, but it also occupies precious device resources. Here, identical contacts may accumulate due to various reasons like contacts sharing, contact backup, and other reasons. One possible way to find, delete and merge duplicate contacts is to use […]
Apple offers numerous effective security features built-in on every Mac to keep it safe from malware attacks or other cyber threats. These security features not only help you protect your system from various known & unknown cyber threats but it also helps you improve your system performance. In addition to these built-in features on your […]
The recent malware attacks around the world have made users more vigilant against this emerging threat. The best anti-malware software for Windows 10/8/7 offers an easy and secure way to keep your data safe in 2021. These advanced security tools work on smart algorithms to provide comprehensive protection against virus and malware threats. Best Anti-Malware […]
When smartphones are considered to be mini-computers that hold lot of your important data from pictures, videos to important documents, it sounds sensible to keep your smartphone device protected with all necessary features. Further, knowing the unimaginable value of data kept on your Android device, it becomes important to keep it safe from all possible […]
So, the Cryptocurrency is everywhere! Yeah! We are talking right and it is literally on boom! You can find people talking about this phenomenon all around you in the cab, school, college, office, informal chats and almost everywhere. No wonder it deserves the hype as it is not only much talked about topic but it […]
Ransomware isn’t a new threat to the cyber world as its traces goes back to more than a decade now. It has affected users around the world on mass level duping millions of dollars in ransom and causing a serious threat to data security. But what makes ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) distribution model reprehensible is, it has […]