How to Fix Overscan in Windows 10 — Quick 10 Solutions
Imagine you are all set for a family movie night. But when you connect your TV to your laptop to broadcast a movie on a bigger screen, it doesn’t fit your TV screen. All you could see is the movie taking up a smaller area on your TV, and the rest of the screen is plain black space.
Guys, this is an Overscreen issue. Mostly, your monitors, TV screens, and all Windows 10 devices can auto-detect display settings and resolutions. Sometimes, simple miscommunication between Windows 10 PC and other connected display devices can cause an overscan problem.
To be honest, Windows 10 overscan isn’t a big issue. With a little tweak here and there, you can fix overscan Windows 10. For your ease, the TC team has found ten ways to fix overscan Windows 10. So, let’s dig into how to fix the overscan Windows 10 guide now!
How to Fix Overscan Windows 10
Whether your TV or Windows 10 device is causing the overscan issue, you can try the following ten methods to fix overscan:
1. Fix Overscan on Windows 10 by Changing the Screen Resolution
Once you have connected your laptop to your TV screen, you should experiment with different screen resolutions to adjust the screen. To tweak with Windows 10 screen resolution, go to:
- Control Panel from the Start Menu or using Win+X keyboard shortcut.
- Click open the Appearance and Personalisation.
- Select Display and then click on the Change Display Settings. Also, select the Advanced Display Settings link.
- From the drop-down menu next to Resolution, select a different resolution setting.
- Once you find the preferred screen resolution, click to Apply.
2. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Adjusting Display Scaling
If the resolution setting change didn’t work for you, the next step is to check out Windows 10 display scaling. Almost every desktop over scaling issues can be fixed by:
- Go to Start Menu > Settings > System > Display.
- Under the Scale and Layout section, look for the Change the size of text, apps, and other items. Here, you can select different options like 125% or 150% to increase the display items scale.
- To customize the display scale size, you can select the Advanced scaling settings.
3. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using the Intel Graphics Control Panel
If you have a traditional Windows 10 PC running on an Intel CPU, you can use the Intel Graphics Control Panel to fix overscan on Windows 10. You can experiment with numerous options until you get a desirable screen preview, such as:
- Open the Windows search box and enter Intel. You can press CTRL+ALT+F12 keys to launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
- On the Intel Graphics Control Panel screen, you have multiple options to adjust your screen size.
4. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with the Nvidia Control Panel
If you aren’t an Intel CPU user, you will probably be the Nvidia CPU user. In that case, you have to modify Nvidia Control Panel settings to solve the overscan problem. To do so:
- Open the Windows search box and type Nvidia in it.
- Click on the Display and Adjust desktop size and position.
- Check off the Enable desktop resizing option and then select Resize while connected to the monitor.
5. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Calibrating your Monitor
To fix various display issues, Windows 10 comes with a built-in calibration tool. There’s always the option to use third-party calibration tools too. If you want to move ahead with Windows 10 calibration tool, you simply have to:
- Open the Windows 10 Settings and then System.
- Select the Display tab, scroll down to the Advanced display settings.
- Click open the Display adapter properties for the display that you want to calibrate.
- Go to the Color Management > Advanced > Calibrate Display.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration process.
6. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating OS
Updating Windows 10 OS can almost fix all the bugs-related issues. So, if your overscan issue has something to do with outdated OS and bugs, you gotta update your system. You can check system updates from:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates to find new Windows 10 updates for your PC.
- If there’s an update available for you, download and install it immediately. It might take some time to update OS, so be patient.
7. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating Drivers
Another way to squash bugs and glitches in Windows 10 is by updating the system drivers. If your monitors and display adapter drivers are outdated or unreliable, you need to fix them.
To update drivers, you can opt for a straight manual method. However, locating an outdated driver, finding the latest one, and updating it could be a slightly technical and time-consuming task. Therefore, many people prefer to use automatic driver updater to ease their workload. There are plenty of different driver updates available in the market that you can select as per your requirements.
For this guide, we will show you how to update drivers using AVG Driver Updater:
- You can quickly download AVG Driver Updater online. If you already have a tool downloaded on your system, launch it.
- Click on the Scan Drivers.
- Now, AVG Driver Updater will scan your entire system and detect outdated drivers.
- Select the monitors and display adapter if it is on the list.
- Click Update Selected, and the software will automatically update the driver for you.
8. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using Registry
If you have full confidence in your technical abilities, you can adjust Registry settings to fix the overscan Windows 10 problem. Remember one thing, tweaking with Registry can cause irrecoverable damage to your PC, so be cautious. You can follow these steps to safely edit Registry on your computer:
- Click on the Start button, write regedit and enter.
- On the Registry Editor, follow this path — HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
- Here, you will see a few Registry keys. Expand all the keys and look for keys that have 0000 and 0001, 0002, and video subkeys together.
- Take 0000 0001 and 0002 keys backup.
- Choose 0000 key and search HDMI resolution in the right pane.
- Now, select the key that is matching your resolution, right click and select Modify binary data.
- Change all binary values to zero and click OK. Do the same with 0001 and 0002 subkeys and change binary data to zero.
- Next, go to Settings > System > Advanced display settings.
- From the Resolution drop-down menu, first, change resolution other than 1920×1080 and then change back again. Now, when you start TV, the overscan problem won’t annoy you.
9. Fix Overscan Windows 10 from Monitor’s or TV’s Settings
You can tweak your monitor’s and TV’s display settings to resize the screen. For every TV and monitor brand, the display settings menu functions differently. So, you should go through your device’s manual before adjusting the display settings.
10. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with HDMI Cable
You can always use good old disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable method to fix overscan on Windows 10. Sometimes, when the HDMI cable isn’t properly plugged in, it can disturb the connection between your TV and computer. So, recheck the HDMI cable connection to fix the problem. Also, try to use a different HDMI cable to connect display devices.
After exploring ten awesome ways to fix overscan Windows 10, you can now easily save your family movie night. Overscan is a simple problem that can bug you anytime, so always remember these solutions. For more guides like this, keep on following us, and don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments!
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]
Correctly, get back deleted or lost pictures from the hard drive or SD card. To relive happy moments spent with family and friends we capture them, and nobody wants to lose these digital memories, right? Yet due to unforeseen situations like accidentally deleting pictures, hard drive failure, natural disaster, corrupt hard disk, and formatting the […]
Since the Internet has grown to be the main source for entertainment, socializing, news, information, and more, we hardly ever think about how it works. It is informative and helpful, however just like a physical playground, there’s scope for harm within the online world, particularly for children who may not be absolutely aware of the […]
Whether you wish to share your Macintosh with your kids, friends, or colleagues, it’s better to create a new user account to maintain your privacy. With separate Mac accounts, every person can have their own settings like application preferences, iCloud account details, and password-protect their personal data. Most importantly, the process of adding users to […]
The PDF formats have extremely important uses nowadays. One of the main reasons that pdf format is used is because it cannot be modified by others. They are easy to transfer and are commonly used in business, education, and health. We can convert a whole book and lengthy reports into pdfs. Sometimes the size of […]
Are you preparing for an IT certification course? If yes, you need to install Visual Certification Exam software in your system right away. Why? That’s because online IT course materials and certifications are available in VCE file format. So, if you have an exam coming up soon, you need a VCE suit to open the […]
Restore lost or deleted files from any storage media using Tenorshare 4DDiG. Losing important files, images, videos, or for that matter any data is no fun. It leaves us all anxious, frustrated, and stressed. What’s worse, when we don’t have a backup and the same file is urgently required. This creates panic and makes you […]