How to Fix Overscan in Windows 10 — Quick 10 Solutions
Imagine you are all set for a family movie night. But when you connect your TV to your laptop to broadcast a movie on a bigger screen, it doesn’t fit your TV screen. All you could see is the movie taking up a smaller area on your TV, and the rest of the screen is plain black space.
Guys, this is an Overscreen issue. Mostly, your monitors, TV screens, and all Windows 10 devices can auto-detect display settings and resolutions. Sometimes, simple miscommunication between Windows 10 PC and other connected display devices can cause an overscan problem.
To be honest, Windows 10 overscan isn’t a big issue. With a little tweak here and there, you can fix overscan Windows 10. For your ease, the TC team has found ten ways to fix overscan Windows 10. So, let’s dig into how to fix the overscan Windows 10 guide now!
How to Fix Overscan Windows 10
Whether your TV or Windows 10 device is causing the overscan issue, you can try the following ten methods to fix overscan:
1. Fix Overscan on Windows 10 by Changing the Screen Resolution
Once you have connected your laptop to your TV screen, you should experiment with different screen resolutions to adjust the screen. To tweak with Windows 10 screen resolution, go to:
- Control Panel from the Start Menu or using Win+X keyboard shortcut.
- Click open the Appearance and Personalisation.
- Select Display and then click on the Change Display Settings. Also, select the Advanced Display Settings link.
- From the drop-down menu next to Resolution, select a different resolution setting.
- Once you find the preferred screen resolution, click to Apply.
2. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Adjusting Display Scaling
If the resolution setting change didn’t work for you, the next step is to check out Windows 10 display scaling. Almost every desktop over scaling issues can be fixed by:
- Go to Start Menu > Settings > System > Display.
- Under the Scale and Layout section, look for the Change the size of text, apps, and other items. Here, you can select different options like 125% or 150% to increase the display items scale.
- To customize the display scale size, you can select the Advanced scaling settings.
3. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using the Intel Graphics Control Panel
If you have a traditional Windows 10 PC running on an Intel CPU, you can use the Intel Graphics Control Panel to fix overscan on Windows 10. You can experiment with numerous options until you get a desirable screen preview, such as:
- Open the Windows search box and enter Intel. You can press CTRL+ALT+F12 keys to launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
- On the Intel Graphics Control Panel screen, you have multiple options to adjust your screen size.
4. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with the Nvidia Control Panel
If you aren’t an Intel CPU user, you will probably be the Nvidia CPU user. In that case, you have to modify Nvidia Control Panel settings to solve the overscan problem. To do so:
- Open the Windows search box and type Nvidia in it.
- Click on the Display and Adjust desktop size and position.
- Check off the Enable desktop resizing option and then select Resize while connected to the monitor.
5. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Calibrating your Monitor
To fix various display issues, Windows 10 comes with a built-in calibration tool. There’s always the option to use third-party calibration tools too. If you want to move ahead with Windows 10 calibration tool, you simply have to:
- Open the Windows 10 Settings and then System.
- Select the Display tab, scroll down to the Advanced display settings.
- Click open the Display adapter properties for the display that you want to calibrate.
- Go to the Color Management > Advanced > Calibrate Display.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration process.
6. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating OS
Updating Windows 10 OS can almost fix all the bugs-related issues. So, if your overscan issue has something to do with outdated OS and bugs, you gotta update your system. You can check system updates from:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates to find new Windows 10 updates for your PC.
- If there’s an update available for you, download and install it immediately. It might take some time to update OS, so be patient.
7. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating Drivers
Another way to squash bugs and glitches in Windows 10 is by updating the system drivers. If your monitors and display adapter drivers are outdated or unreliable, you need to fix them.
To update drivers, you can opt for a straight manual method. However, locating an outdated driver, finding the latest one, and updating it could be a slightly technical and time-consuming task. Therefore, many people prefer to use automatic driver updater to ease their workload. There are plenty of different driver updates available in the market that you can select as per your requirements.
For this guide, we will show you how to update drivers using AVG Driver Updater:
- You can quickly download AVG Driver Updater online. If you already have a tool downloaded on your system, launch it.
- Click on the Scan Drivers.
- Now, AVG Driver Updater will scan your entire system and detect outdated drivers.
- Select the monitors and display adapter if it is on the list.
- Click Update Selected, and the software will automatically update the driver for you.
8. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using Registry
If you have full confidence in your technical abilities, you can adjust Registry settings to fix the overscan Windows 10 problem. Remember one thing, tweaking with Registry can cause irrecoverable damage to your PC, so be cautious. You can follow these steps to safely edit Registry on your computer:
- Click on the Start button, write regedit and enter.
- On the Registry Editor, follow this path — HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
- Here, you will see a few Registry keys. Expand all the keys and look for keys that have 0000 and 0001, 0002, and video subkeys together.
- Take 0000 0001 and 0002 keys backup.
- Choose 0000 key and search HDMI resolution in the right pane.
- Now, select the key that is matching your resolution, right click and select Modify binary data.
- Change all binary values to zero and click OK. Do the same with 0001 and 0002 subkeys and change binary data to zero.
- Next, go to Settings > System > Advanced display settings.
- From the Resolution drop-down menu, first, change resolution other than 1920×1080 and then change back again. Now, when you start TV, the overscan problem won’t annoy you.
9. Fix Overscan Windows 10 from Monitor’s or TV’s Settings
You can tweak your monitor’s and TV’s display settings to resize the screen. For every TV and monitor brand, the display settings menu functions differently. So, you should go through your device’s manual before adjusting the display settings.
10. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with HDMI Cable
You can always use good old disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable method to fix overscan on Windows 10. Sometimes, when the HDMI cable isn’t properly plugged in, it can disturb the connection between your TV and computer. So, recheck the HDMI cable connection to fix the problem. Also, try to use a different HDMI cable to connect display devices.
After exploring ten awesome ways to fix overscan Windows 10, you can now easily save your family movie night. Overscan is a simple problem that can bug you anytime, so always remember these solutions. For more guides like this, keep on following us, and don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments!
Introduction There have been significant technological improvements, including the gadgets and hardware configurations people use for their work. Different upgrades have happened from desktop computers to laptops and using WiFi adapters to the Ethernet. However, while you may experience the best network connectivity and speed with Ethernet connections, failures are still imminent. And that […]
Introduction On the phone, there are different applications that people use daily. Most of them have an in-built alerting system that constantly sends push notifications to phones, from information related to software upgrades to text alerts. While these are useful, getting notifications from all of the apps on your phone can become troublesome after a […]
Introduction While using your computer or laptop daily, you might notice some issues in its functioning. You can use reliable software like CCleaner to check the PC for any system-based issues. However, in many cases, the bad external condition of the PC, like a dirty, grime-filled keyboard, can cause problems. In the case of the […]
iPhone and iPad come with exclusive features offering multiple advantages for the users. The parent company Apple promises ease of use with these features with reduced time and effort. The in-built search engine names Spotlight Search offers a quick and powerful method to access any feature on iPhone and iPad. Spotlight Search can be quickly […]
Do you want to make some beautiful photo collages for Insta stories and posts but cannot understand the best way to do so? If that’s the case, you are certainly in a big trouble. Creating a perfect picture edit for Insta is itself difficult and tricky due to the fact that the response from your […]
Introduction People who enjoy gaming have many high-quality game choices to choose between with PC compatibility. Some are accessible online, while others come in the form of software or apps they have to download. You are in luck if you have a high-powered Windows PC with a modern OS version that supports high-grade games like […]
Introduction New updates come up for software and operating systems consistently, at least under Microsoft. However, the Microsoft Defender update failure can make it difficult to apply improvements. Multiple reasons block the updating process for Windows Defender in devices running on Windows 10 or 11. These include problems like corrupted Windows Update components, partial damage […]
iPhone users enjoy the benefits of advanced camera features. Many love to create fantastic photo collages using the same. These photo collages are a fun and entertaining way of expressing your story on social media or other platforms. It is easy to gain followers with some high-quality photo collages on iPhone. However, iPhone users may […]
Graphics are necessary for any high-performing system. The dedicated video cards on systems are necessary for different personal and professional users. The amazing NVIDIA Graphics GPU installed on the system can offer the benefits of the much-required graphic to the users. Thus, many professionals and beginners need to install NVIDIA drivers on their systems. However, […]
Introduction Smartphones are one of the essential tools practically everyone has in their pocket. These communication devices are also helpful due to additional features like location tracking for safety purposes, instant internet connection, etc. Therefore, many parents decide to provide a smartphone for kids. Multiple high-quality options are available from different brands suitable for younger […]