How to Fix Overscan in Windows 10 — Quick 10 Solutions
Imagine you are all set for a family movie night. But when you connect your TV to your laptop to broadcast a movie on a bigger screen, it doesn’t fit your TV screen. All you could see is the movie taking up a smaller area on your TV, and the rest of the screen is plain black space.
Guys, this is an Overscreen issue. Mostly, your monitors, TV screens, and all Windows 10 devices can auto-detect display settings and resolutions. Sometimes, simple miscommunication between Windows 10 PC and other connected display devices can cause an overscan problem.
To be honest, Windows 10 overscan isn’t a big issue. With a little tweak here and there, you can fix overscan Windows 10. For your ease, the TC team has found ten ways to fix overscan Windows 10. So, let’s dig into how to fix the overscan Windows 10 guide now!
How to Fix Overscan Windows 10
Whether your TV or Windows 10 device is causing the overscan issue, you can try the following ten methods to fix overscan:
1. Fix Overscan on Windows 10 by Changing the Screen Resolution
Once you have connected your laptop to your TV screen, you should experiment with different screen resolutions to adjust the screen. To tweak with Windows 10 screen resolution, go to:
- Control Panel from the Start Menu or using Win+X keyboard shortcut.
- Click open the Appearance and Personalisation.
- Select Display and then click on the Change Display Settings. Also, select the Advanced Display Settings link.
- From the drop-down menu next to Resolution, select a different resolution setting.
- Once you find the preferred screen resolution, click to Apply.
2. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Adjusting Display Scaling
If the resolution setting change didn’t work for you, the next step is to check out Windows 10 display scaling. Almost every desktop over scaling issues can be fixed by:
- Go to Start Menu > Settings > System > Display.
- Under the Scale and Layout section, look for the Change the size of text, apps, and other items. Here, you can select different options like 125% or 150% to increase the display items scale.
- To customize the display scale size, you can select the Advanced scaling settings.
3. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using the Intel Graphics Control Panel
If you have a traditional Windows 10 PC running on an Intel CPU, you can use the Intel Graphics Control Panel to fix overscan on Windows 10. You can experiment with numerous options until you get a desirable screen preview, such as:
- Open the Windows search box and enter Intel. You can press CTRL+ALT+F12 keys to launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
- On the Intel Graphics Control Panel screen, you have multiple options to adjust your screen size.
4. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with the Nvidia Control Panel
If you aren’t an Intel CPU user, you will probably be the Nvidia CPU user. In that case, you have to modify Nvidia Control Panel settings to solve the overscan problem. To do so:
- Open the Windows search box and type Nvidia in it.
- Click on the Display and Adjust desktop size and position.
- Check off the Enable desktop resizing option and then select Resize while connected to the monitor.
5. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Calibrating your Monitor
To fix various display issues, Windows 10 comes with a built-in calibration tool. There’s always the option to use third-party calibration tools too. If you want to move ahead with Windows 10 calibration tool, you simply have to:
- Open the Windows 10 Settings and then System.
- Select the Display tab, scroll down to the Advanced display settings.
- Click open the Display adapter properties for the display that you want to calibrate.
- Go to the Color Management > Advanced > Calibrate Display.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration process.
6. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating OS
Updating Windows 10 OS can almost fix all the bugs-related issues. So, if your overscan issue has something to do with outdated OS and bugs, you gotta update your system. You can check system updates from:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates to find new Windows 10 updates for your PC.
- If there’s an update available for you, download and install it immediately. It might take some time to update OS, so be patient.
7. Fix Overscan Windows 10 by Updating Drivers
Another way to squash bugs and glitches in Windows 10 is by updating the system drivers. If your monitors and display adapter drivers are outdated or unreliable, you need to fix them.
To update drivers, you can opt for a straight manual method. However, locating an outdated driver, finding the latest one, and updating it could be a slightly technical and time-consuming task. Therefore, many people prefer to use automatic driver updater to ease their workload. There are plenty of different driver updates available in the market that you can select as per your requirements.
For this guide, we will show you how to update drivers using AVG Driver Updater:
- You can quickly download AVG Driver Updater online. If you already have a tool downloaded on your system, launch it.
- Click on the Scan Drivers.
- Now, AVG Driver Updater will scan your entire system and detect outdated drivers.
- Select the monitors and display adapter if it is on the list.
- Click Update Selected, and the software will automatically update the driver for you.
8. Fix Overscan Windows 10 Using Registry
If you have full confidence in your technical abilities, you can adjust Registry settings to fix the overscan Windows 10 problem. Remember one thing, tweaking with Registry can cause irrecoverable damage to your PC, so be cautious. You can follow these steps to safely edit Registry on your computer:
- Click on the Start button, write regedit and enter.
- On the Registry Editor, follow this path — HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
- Here, you will see a few Registry keys. Expand all the keys and look for keys that have 0000 and 0001, 0002, and video subkeys together.
- Take 0000 0001 and 0002 keys backup.
- Choose 0000 key and search HDMI resolution in the right pane.
- Now, select the key that is matching your resolution, right click and select Modify binary data.
- Change all binary values to zero and click OK. Do the same with 0001 and 0002 subkeys and change binary data to zero.
- Next, go to Settings > System > Advanced display settings.
- From the Resolution drop-down menu, first, change resolution other than 1920×1080 and then change back again. Now, when you start TV, the overscan problem won’t annoy you.
9. Fix Overscan Windows 10 from Monitor’s or TV’s Settings
You can tweak your monitor’s and TV’s display settings to resize the screen. For every TV and monitor brand, the display settings menu functions differently. So, you should go through your device’s manual before adjusting the display settings.
10. Fix Overscan Windows 10 with HDMI Cable
You can always use good old disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable method to fix overscan on Windows 10. Sometimes, when the HDMI cable isn’t properly plugged in, it can disturb the connection between your TV and computer. So, recheck the HDMI cable connection to fix the problem. Also, try to use a different HDMI cable to connect display devices.
After exploring ten awesome ways to fix overscan Windows 10, you can now easily save your family movie night. Overscan is a simple problem that can bug you anytime, so always remember these solutions. For more guides like this, keep on following us, and don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments!
10 Best Screen Sharing Apps for iOS and Android
Introduction: Screen sharing has become crucial for seamless interaction in today’s interconnected world. With remote work, project collaborations, and staying connected being our everyday essentials, screen-sharing apps have evolved to meet our on-the-go needs, aligning perfectly with our constant companions. Well, you guessed it right, our smartphones and tablets. In this blog post, we have […]
How to Format an External Storage Device in macOS
Introduction: Are you ready to supercharge your Mac’s capabilities by connecting an external hard drive? Well, before you can embark on this storage adventure, there’s an important task at hand: formatting your external hard drive to work seamlessly with your Mac. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you […]
How to Install and Use PuTTY for Mac
Introduction: In the realm of remote server management and secure network communication, PuTTY has earned a reputation as a reliable and versatile tool. Originally designed for Windows, PuTTY has expanded its reach to include other operating systems, including macOS, to cater to the needs of a wider user base. Hence, if you’re a Mac user […]
How to Fix Black Screen at Boot on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Whether as an individual or a professional, we are all strictly reliant on technology in some or the other way. And amidst this, encountering frustrating issues like a black screen at boot hits us like a roadblock. The black screen boot issue can affect both laptops and desktop computers running various versions of Windows. […]
How to Fix the “Network Discovery is Turned Off” Error on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Among many common Windows errors, the “network discovery is turned off” error is an annoying obstacle that disrupts your workflow. Whether you’re trying to share files, stream media, or access shared printers, encountering this error can be perplexing and disruptive. The good news is that understanding the causes and solutions for this error can […]
How to Use the New Bing With ChatGPT
Introduction: Gone are the days of sifting through endless search results. With Bing, powered with ChatGPT, you can now ask questions in plain language and receive instant, personalized answers tailored to your needs. It’s like having a conversation with a knowledgeable search assistant right at your fingertips. So, agree or not, you are definitely in […]
How to Use Split Screen on a Mac
Introduction: In today’s fast-paced digital world, maximizing productivity is the key. Period. And being able to juggle multiple tasks seamlessly is a skill worth mastering. If you’re a Mac user looking to boost your multitasking abilities, you’re in luck. Apple’s macOS offers a powerful feature known as Split Screen, which allows you to effortlessly divide […]
How to Disable the Lock Screen on Windows 11
Introduction: In the world of productivity, every single second counts. The last thing anyone wants is to be hindered by unnecessary obstacles while using their computer. One such obstacle is the lock screen that appears every time you wake up your Windows device. Though it may appear as a minor inconvenience, those valuable seconds spent […]
How to Find Your iPhone From an Android Device?
Introduction Mobile phones are the necessary daily gadget that functions the maximum amount of work for the user and help to communicate with people. It will be a disaster if you lose your iPhone anywhere on the street or office and have no idea how to recover it. Mostly you will panic and return to […]
How to Create a Custom Map in Google Maps
Introduction You may create Google custom maps that do not appear on anyone’s page by going to maps.google.com and using one of the many available choices. You do not need specialized software to make a unique map for you or someone else. All you require is Google Maps, which enables you to create a personalized […]