Device drivers play an important role to keep your system performance intact. Drivers help operating system communicate with hardware on your PC. Device drivers require regular updates to perform seamlessly.
Outdated, missing, corrupt, or incompatible device drivers could cause a real trouble on your PC. It not only affects your system performance negatively, but it also causes security issues. Issue with device driver could make device perform strange and cause performance issues.
Windows offers built-in feature to help you update all outdated drivers effortlessly. Though, it is one of the easiest methods to update drivers in Windows 10, but it consumes a lot of time and efforts. To deal with this issue some professionals suggest using best driver updater software for instant results.
Before you update drivers:
Create a Restore Point: Before you update drivers in Windows 10, it is suggested to create a restore point on your PC. It will help you restore old settings, if something goes wrong with driver update.
- To do this, search Create a restore point in the search box on the taskbar and select the corresponding result.
- Now you will be on System Properties window. Now select the drive for which you want to create a restore point. Make sure the Protection for the drive is ON. You can do this by clicking on Configure option below.
- Once you have selected the drive, simply click Create button and follow the onscreen instructions.
Windows Update: Various devices on your PC including monitors, network adapters, video cards, and printers are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows update. Thus, you can consider updating Windows to update all outdated drivers. To update Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- On Settings window, select Update & Security.
- On the next window, select Windows Update from the left pane.
- In the right pane, click on Check for updates.
- Let the process finish, restart PC and check if drivers are updated.
How to update drivers in Windows 10?
The next solution to update drivers in Windows 10 is to do it using Device Manager. To update drivers using Device Manager, follow these steps.
- Right click on Start menu icon and select Device Manager.
- Now expand one of the categories to see names of devices.
- Now right-click the device name and select Update Driver.
Now you will find two options:
First, Search automatically for updated driver software using which Windows will search your PC and the Internet for the latest driver software for your system. You can’t use this option, if you have disabled this feature in the device installation settings.
Second, Browse my computer for driver software using which you can update drivers through driver installation file. Remember you need to download & install driver package from manufacturer website first before you use this option.
Note: If the driver isn’t available through first option as if the driver is too recent or available only in beta, then you can consider to download and install the package from the manufacturer’s support website.
Use Best Driver Updater Software
If you find updating drivers manually to complex task, then you can consider using best driver updater software for instant and effective results. Working on smart algorithms these powerful tools help you update outdated, corrupt, missing, and incompatible drivers automatically to save time. It not only reduces manual intervention, but it also provides effective results.
How to check if drivers installed properly?
To do this, open the Device Manager and select the device category whose driver has just been updated. Right-click on it and select Properties. On the next window, select Driver tab and verify driver date and driver version fields. If they are align with the details available on device manufacturer site, then consider it is updated properly.
How to reinstall the device driver?
To do this, open Device Manager, select the device type, right-click on it and select Uninstall. Restart your PC. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver automatically.
Now this was a quick discussion on how to update drivers in Windows 10. Do try these steps and share your experience in the comments below.