How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways.
Why Uninstall Cortana?
It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too much space or is filled with issues. Some users want to keep the “All Apps” list clean; hence, they want to remove Cortana. In addition to this, some users don’t like Cortana running in the background. Therefore, they want to remove it.
Whatever the reason, whether it is to keep the Start menu clean, stop Cortana from running in the background, or you are concerned about your privacy, if you are looking for ways to uninstall Cortana, here you go.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to disable & uninstall Cortana in Windows 11.
- Press Windows + X > select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. In the terminal window, paste the following command:-
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter key.
- Wait for Windows 11 to remove Cortana.
- Press Windows + X > Select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. Copy and paste the following command in the Terminal Windows: Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage.
3. This will remove Cortana for all users on Windows 11.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 11
1. Click Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
2. Select Apps from the left pane > Apps and Features from the right side.
3. Search for Cortana > click the three dots icon and select Advanced options.
4. Select turn off the “Run at Log-in” from the context menu and move the slider from right to left to disable it.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and launch Windows Task Manager.
- Click the ‘Startup’ tab and scroll down to look for ‘Cortana.’
- Right-click > and from the context menu select Disable. (Refer to the screenshot below)
This doesn’t mean if you want, you cannot use Cortana. You can use it by pressing Windows + C keys.
- In the Windows search bar, type Cortana > select the best search result and open the app.
- Open Settings by clicking the three-dot menu (···) present in the top left-top corner.
- This will open the Settings window here; click the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option.
- Disable the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option and reboot the PC to save changes. This will keep you away from accidentally activating Cortana by pressing Windows + C keys.
- Once the PC restarts, again go to the Cortana Settings page, using the steps explained above. This time select the ‘Microphone’ option this time.
- Click the ‘Microphone Permissions’ link.
- Search for Cortana here and disable Microphone access to Cortana.
This will disable the Voice Activation option to open Cortana.
If you want Cortana to be disabled forever, you will need to make certain changes in Windows Registry.
Before following these steps, as Windows Registry is a crucial part of the operating system, we suggest backing up the registry. In addition to this, you can also create a System Restore Point. This will help undo changes.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command window.
- Type regedit > Enter.
- Navigate to:
- Right-click the ‘Windows Search’ folder > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- The new DWORD entry that is created in the right pane, name it “AllowCortana.”
- Double-click the ‘AllowCortana file’ and here change the Value data to 0. Ensure Base is selected as ‘Hexadecimal’ > Ok.
Note: If there is no ‘Windows Search’ folder under the Windows directory, then right-click the ‘Windows’ directory > ‘New’ > ‘Key’.
Name the new key as “Windows Search” and follow the steps mentioned above.
Restart PC to save changes. Cortana will now be permanently disabled.
To re-enable Cortana, change the Value data of ‘AllowCortana’ to ‘1’.
Using the above steps, you can uninstall and disable Cortana on Windows 11. However, if at any given point of time you feel like restoring Cortana, follow these steps.
- Go to Microsoft Store > search for Cortana and look for the setup provided by “Microsoft Corporation.”
- Alternatively, you can click this link to install Cortana on your Windows 11.
- Click Install and wait for the process to finish. Once done, the voice assistant will be restored on Windows 11.
Now, you can use it to search files and folders and perform other operations.
That’s it; you now have Cortana back.
A few users love the Cortana app, while some want to remove Cortana as it collects personal information. If you don’t like Cortana, follow the steps explained in this post to uninstall Cortana from Windows 11.
Using these simple steps, you can remove Cortana and save your system from slowing down due to Cortana running in the background and keep All Apps clean.
We hope you enjoyed reading the post and found the information helpful. Please share your feedback in the comments section below.
Google Chrome is the most popular, clean, and fast web browser of all time. On the top, several Google Chrome extensions are available to improve your browsing experience. Using the Chrome extensions, you can perform multiple operations without downloading a full program like password storage, control mouse gestures, run antivirus scans, and more. However, downloading […]
People use their Mac devices for various reasons, one of the most prominent ones being for browsing purposes. However, after visiting any website on the device, the browser version stores cache and other records of the query in the system. This affects the performance of the system as the excess records can lag the disk […]
Videos are one of the most popular media types among consumers currently, for posting promotional or informative content. This is why YouTube has one of the biggest user-bases currently, and people search for tools to easily download these files. However, YouTube features a strong algorithm and legal guidelines that stop people from downloading or using […]
ONLYOFFICE delivers the newest Docs v.7.0 with additional features, new upgrades, and a host of revisions for professional collaboration uses. (21 January, 2022)- Having a high-quality feature-rich office suite invigorates the productivity rate of companies, professionals, and even homeowners. ONLYOFFICE developers have therefore come up with the latest version of the DOCS online office suite. […]
Ever since WhatsApp launched its own Status feature, people are loving it. As we can add interesting images and videos to our WhatsApp Status to show it to others and also watch others’ status. But the problem often faced by the users is that WhatsApp does not have a Status saver option. So what do […]
It’s no secret that Covid-19 caught numerous businesses off guard in 2020, forcing employers to rapidly transition their staff from working on location to working remotely from home. Along with that transition will come the cybersecurity risks. Did you know that your company’s information can unintentionally be put at risk by you and your employees […]
For the continued safety of the digital system and files, many people download a third-party antivirus program into their device. These keep the system safe from security issues after an intricate scanning process. Windows devices can install options like Norton, Avast, or AVG for quick and efficient malware/virus detection. In many cases, the tag FileRepMalware […]
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is expanding very quickly in the entire IT business. SaaS models are the first preferences of many enterprises because of their flexibility, cost-effectiveness and subscription-based model. In the pandemic, companies required the cloud network; thus, SaaS has only got growth and will be growing. Gartner and BMC have given highly optimized reports, according […]
In 2020, Apple’s M1 chip debuted and blew us all away with how much it improved performance and efficiency in the MacBook Air M1, Mac Mini M1, and MacBook Pro M1. Mac users were still on the M1 performance hangover when Apple launched M1 Pro and M1 Max with better performance promise. Both chips are […]
The ability to expand your product abroad requires software localization. Machine translators or proxy services can provide you with a surface level translation of your content, but this will not be nearly enough to make your product culturally appropriate or authentic in new markets. It’s also not a long-term answer if you want to expand […]