How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways.
Why Uninstall Cortana?
It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too much space or is filled with issues. Some users want to keep the “All Apps” list clean; hence, they want to remove Cortana. In addition to this, some users don’t like Cortana running in the background. Therefore, they want to remove it.
Whatever the reason, whether it is to keep the Start menu clean, stop Cortana from running in the background, or you are concerned about your privacy, if you are looking for ways to uninstall Cortana, here you go.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to disable & uninstall Cortana in Windows 11.
- Press Windows + X > select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. In the terminal window, paste the following command:-
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter key.
- Wait for Windows 11 to remove Cortana.
- Press Windows + X > Select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. Copy and paste the following command in the Terminal Windows: Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage.
3. This will remove Cortana for all users on Windows 11.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 11
1. Click Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
2. Select Apps from the left pane > Apps and Features from the right side.
3. Search for Cortana > click the three dots icon and select Advanced options.
4. Select turn off the “Run at Log-in” from the context menu and move the slider from right to left to disable it.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and launch Windows Task Manager.
- Click the ‘Startup’ tab and scroll down to look for ‘Cortana.’
- Right-click > and from the context menu select Disable. (Refer to the screenshot below)
This doesn’t mean if you want, you cannot use Cortana. You can use it by pressing Windows + C keys.
- In the Windows search bar, type Cortana > select the best search result and open the app.
- Open Settings by clicking the three-dot menu (···) present in the top left-top corner.
- This will open the Settings window here; click the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option.
- Disable the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option and reboot the PC to save changes. This will keep you away from accidentally activating Cortana by pressing Windows + C keys.
- Once the PC restarts, again go to the Cortana Settings page, using the steps explained above. This time select the ‘Microphone’ option this time.
- Click the ‘Microphone Permissions’ link.
- Search for Cortana here and disable Microphone access to Cortana.
This will disable the Voice Activation option to open Cortana.
If you want Cortana to be disabled forever, you will need to make certain changes in Windows Registry.
Before following these steps, as Windows Registry is a crucial part of the operating system, we suggest backing up the registry. In addition to this, you can also create a System Restore Point. This will help undo changes.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command window.
- Type regedit > Enter.
- Navigate to:
- Right-click the ‘Windows Search’ folder > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- The new DWORD entry that is created in the right pane, name it “AllowCortana.”
- Double-click the ‘AllowCortana file’ and here change the Value data to 0. Ensure Base is selected as ‘Hexadecimal’ > Ok.
Note: If there is no ‘Windows Search’ folder under the Windows directory, then right-click the ‘Windows’ directory > ‘New’ > ‘Key’.
Name the new key as “Windows Search” and follow the steps mentioned above.
Restart PC to save changes. Cortana will now be permanently disabled.
To re-enable Cortana, change the Value data of ‘AllowCortana’ to ‘1’.
Using the above steps, you can uninstall and disable Cortana on Windows 11. However, if at any given point of time you feel like restoring Cortana, follow these steps.
- Go to Microsoft Store > search for Cortana and look for the setup provided by “Microsoft Corporation.”
- Alternatively, you can click this link to install Cortana on your Windows 11.
- Click Install and wait for the process to finish. Once done, the voice assistant will be restored on Windows 11.
Now, you can use it to search files and folders and perform other operations.
That’s it; you now have Cortana back.
A few users love the Cortana app, while some want to remove Cortana as it collects personal information. If you don’t like Cortana, follow the steps explained in this post to uninstall Cortana from Windows 11.
Using these simple steps, you can remove Cortana and save your system from slowing down due to Cortana running in the background and keep All Apps clean.
We hope you enjoyed reading the post and found the information helpful. Please share your feedback in the comments section below.
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]
Finally, iOS 15 is now available to download, and it has brought many surprises along. The biggest iOS 15 surprise is that now Apple users can FaceTime with non-Apple users. Yep, you no longer need to use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to make video calls. Instead, Apple has allowed people to join a FaceTime call […]
We all want to secure our remote access for daily needs & projects. But how to get it done is a big question. Using a VPN this problem can be easily solved as it creates an encrypted tunnel to secure network connection. Acronym for Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides IP addresses allowing users to navigate […]
Are you looking for the best lead generation software? Then don’t look for the tool that can boost your sales or customer base. In fact, search for the tool that can integrate your CRM software for better KPIs and analytics. Lead capture software can do a lot more than improving your sales or traffic. It […]
Be it product branding or marketing; labels play a significant role in selling a product. In fact, the label helps to distinguish your products from others. Therefore, the designing and printing of your product label need to be perfect. And for this, we will talk about the best 5 label designing and printing software in […]
The following apps are tops. They have become popular with Android, so if you’re on the lookout for good and useful applications, it may be that you have a few of these apps already. There are many amazing apps for Android in the market but a few outshine the rest. Just about everyone finds these […]
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]