How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways.
Why Uninstall Cortana?
It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too much space or is filled with issues. Some users want to keep the “All Apps” list clean; hence, they want to remove Cortana. In addition to this, some users don’t like Cortana running in the background. Therefore, they want to remove it.
Whatever the reason, whether it is to keep the Start menu clean, stop Cortana from running in the background, or you are concerned about your privacy, if you are looking for ways to uninstall Cortana, here you go.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to disable & uninstall Cortana in Windows 11.
- Press Windows + X > select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. In the terminal window, paste the following command:-
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter key.
- Wait for Windows 11 to remove Cortana.
- Press Windows + X > Select Windows Terminal (Admin).
2. Copy and paste the following command in the Terminal Windows: Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage.
3. This will remove Cortana for all users on Windows 11.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 11
1. Click Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
2. Select Apps from the left pane > Apps and Features from the right side.
3. Search for Cortana > click the three dots icon and select Advanced options.
4. Select turn off the “Run at Log-in” from the context menu and move the slider from right to left to disable it.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and launch Windows Task Manager.
- Click the ‘Startup’ tab and scroll down to look for ‘Cortana.’
- Right-click > and from the context menu select Disable. (Refer to the screenshot below)
This doesn’t mean if you want, you cannot use Cortana. You can use it by pressing Windows + C keys.
- In the Windows search bar, type Cortana > select the best search result and open the app.
- Open Settings by clicking the three-dot menu (···) present in the top left-top corner.
- This will open the Settings window here; click the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option.
- Disable the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ option and reboot the PC to save changes. This will keep you away from accidentally activating Cortana by pressing Windows + C keys.
- Once the PC restarts, again go to the Cortana Settings page, using the steps explained above. This time select the ‘Microphone’ option this time.
- Click the ‘Microphone Permissions’ link.
- Search for Cortana here and disable Microphone access to Cortana.
This will disable the Voice Activation option to open Cortana.
If you want Cortana to be disabled forever, you will need to make certain changes in Windows Registry.
Before following these steps, as Windows Registry is a crucial part of the operating system, we suggest backing up the registry. In addition to this, you can also create a System Restore Point. This will help undo changes.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command window.
- Type regedit > Enter.
- Navigate to:
- Right-click the ‘Windows Search’ folder > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- The new DWORD entry that is created in the right pane, name it “AllowCortana.”
- Double-click the ‘AllowCortana file’ and here change the Value data to 0. Ensure Base is selected as ‘Hexadecimal’ > Ok.
Note: If there is no ‘Windows Search’ folder under the Windows directory, then right-click the ‘Windows’ directory > ‘New’ > ‘Key’.
Name the new key as “Windows Search” and follow the steps mentioned above.
Restart PC to save changes. Cortana will now be permanently disabled.
To re-enable Cortana, change the Value data of ‘AllowCortana’ to ‘1’.
Using the above steps, you can uninstall and disable Cortana on Windows 11. However, if at any given point of time you feel like restoring Cortana, follow these steps.
- Go to Microsoft Store > search for Cortana and look for the setup provided by “Microsoft Corporation.”
- Alternatively, you can click this link to install Cortana on your Windows 11.
- Click Install and wait for the process to finish. Once done, the voice assistant will be restored on Windows 11.
Now, you can use it to search files and folders and perform other operations.
That’s it; you now have Cortana back.
A few users love the Cortana app, while some want to remove Cortana as it collects personal information. If you don’t like Cortana, follow the steps explained in this post to uninstall Cortana from Windows 11.
Using these simple steps, you can remove Cortana and save your system from slowing down due to Cortana running in the background and keep All Apps clean.
We hope you enjoyed reading the post and found the information helpful. Please share your feedback in the comments section below.
Introduction There have been significant technological improvements, including the gadgets and hardware configurations people use for their work. Different upgrades have happened from desktop computers to laptops and using WiFi adapters to the Ethernet. However, while you may experience the best network connectivity and speed with Ethernet connections, failures are still imminent. And that […]
Introduction On the phone, there are different applications that people use daily. Most of them have an in-built alerting system that constantly sends push notifications to phones, from information related to software upgrades to text alerts. While these are useful, getting notifications from all of the apps on your phone can become troublesome after a […]
Introduction While using your computer or laptop daily, you might notice some issues in its functioning. You can use reliable software like CCleaner to check the PC for any system-based issues. However, in many cases, the bad external condition of the PC, like a dirty, grime-filled keyboard, can cause problems. In the case of the […]
iPhone and iPad come with exclusive features offering multiple advantages for the users. The parent company Apple promises ease of use with these features with reduced time and effort. The in-built search engine names Spotlight Search offers a quick and powerful method to access any feature on iPhone and iPad. Spotlight Search can be quickly […]
Do you want to make some beautiful photo collages for Insta stories and posts but cannot understand the best way to do so? If that’s the case, you are certainly in a big trouble. Creating a perfect picture edit for Insta is itself difficult and tricky due to the fact that the response from your […]
Introduction People who enjoy gaming have many high-quality game choices to choose between with PC compatibility. Some are accessible online, while others come in the form of software or apps they have to download. You are in luck if you have a high-powered Windows PC with a modern OS version that supports high-grade games like […]
Introduction New updates come up for software and operating systems consistently, at least under Microsoft. However, the Microsoft Defender update failure can make it difficult to apply improvements. Multiple reasons block the updating process for Windows Defender in devices running on Windows 10 or 11. These include problems like corrupted Windows Update components, partial damage […]
iPhone users enjoy the benefits of advanced camera features. Many love to create fantastic photo collages using the same. These photo collages are a fun and entertaining way of expressing your story on social media or other platforms. It is easy to gain followers with some high-quality photo collages on iPhone. However, iPhone users may […]
Graphics are necessary for any high-performing system. The dedicated video cards on systems are necessary for different personal and professional users. The amazing NVIDIA Graphics GPU installed on the system can offer the benefits of the much-required graphic to the users. Thus, many professionals and beginners need to install NVIDIA drivers on their systems. However, […]
Introduction Smartphones are one of the essential tools practically everyone has in their pocket. These communication devices are also helpful due to additional features like location tracking for safety purposes, instant internet connection, etc. Therefore, many parents decide to provide a smartphone for kids. Multiple high-quality options are available from different brands suitable for younger […]