How to Fix Start Menu not Working in Windows 10
Recently, due to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709, many users have faced that the Start Menu is not working at all. Sometimes, there may be other reasons too. When this type of problem occurs the first thing ping to our mind is that this might be the worst Operating System. But that’s not true, this is one of the best Operating Systems we have ever used. Also, you don’t need to worry because there are several ways to fix this problem.
Start menu not working in Windows 10?
Don’t stress your nerves, there are several ways to resolve the start menu not working crisis-
1.Re-login into your account
If the Start Menu is not working then this method is one of the best and the quickest methods to apply.
Steps to Re-login into your account: –
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del buttons simultaneously.
- Tap on Sign Out
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination again and insert your credentials (if any).
- You will log in again and your problem should be solved.
2.Create a new local account
This method could possibly end your trouble. But before heading with this method you should always back up your settings and files.
Steps to create a new local account: –
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Then click on File and tap on ‘Run new task’
- A dialog box appears saying ‘create new task’
- Type in ‘Powershell’ and put a check mark on ‘Create this task with administrative privileges’.
- Click on the OK button.
- On the Powershell Window, insert net user NewUsername NewPassword /add in the box.
- Restart your computer.
- Log in with the new user ID and password created.
3. Uninstall third-party antivirus software
In your system, if the Start Menu is not working appropriately then you should perhaps uninstall third-party malware software. To do so, the user needs to follow these steps: –
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Then, click on Setting > Apps > Apps and Features.
- Click on the Uninstall button to uninstall your installed antivirus.
- Check if the problem is fixed or not.
4. Launch a hidden Taskbar
We can apply this solution when the Windows button is not working or it is not visible on the taskbar or the whole taskbar is not visible.
Steps to launch a hidden taskbar-
- Press the Windows logo button and ‘I’ together.
- Tap on Personalization > Taskbar.
- Click on ‘Lock the Taskbar’ option.
- Also, check on ‘Automatically hide the taskbar’.
- Check if the Windows button is working or not.
5. Restart Windows Explorer
Restarting the Windows Explorer is one of the smart moves to fix the start menu not working in Windows 10 bug.
Steps to Restart Windows Explorer
- Simultaneously, press Alt + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Tap on more details if it is collapsed.
- Select the ‘Processes’ tab on the top of the window.
- Select ‘Windows Explorer’ and then click on the ‘Restart’ button.
- After completion of the process, close the Task Manager.
6. Update Drivers
Sometimes, the start menu not working problem emerges when the drivers of your PC get outdated. So, to fix this problem, update the graphics and audio drivers.
Steps to update drivers
- Open device manager, through the taskbar search box or you can press (Win + R), type ‘devmgmt.msc’, and press enter.
- Right-click Sound, video and game controllers category from the list and right click on device to select Update Driver.
- Tap on Search automatically for updated driver software to let Windows search and install all latest driver updates on your PC automatically.
- Alternatively, select Browse my computer for driver software and locate and install driver software manually from your device storage.
Note: Before you browse for latest driver software on your PC, you need to download it from manufacturer’s website.
If you can’t find an updated driver, you can also try using Smart Driver Care to update all outdated drivers automatically.
7. Restart Your Computer
After updating your computer’s drivers, if the problem is still unsolved then you should probably try to restart your device. This is one of the basic methods to fix any issue. To restart your PC, press Alt + F4 simultaneously or Click on the Start button and click on the ‘Power’ option. Then select the restart option from the dropdown menu to restart your computer.
8. Run SFC SCANNOW
The next option is one of the most preferred options. SFC SCANNOW is a System File Checker command that fixes corrupt files and settings and restores the computer in proper state.
- Press (Win + R) to open the Run command box.
- Type ‘CMD’ and press enter to open the command prompt.
- Type SFC SCANNOW and press enter.
- You can also try another command DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- to scan and restore a healthy image of the computer. This command enables the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool. DISM Online Cleanup command can fix errors that even SFC command couldn’t fix.
9. Reset Your Device
If none of the above methods worked to fix your Start Menu problem then you should Reset your PC. This is the most effective solution to solve this issue. This feature will delete all your saved files, apps, and settings. Hence, we recommend you take a backup before doing so. In Windows 10, you can reset your system by using Recovery options.
The Start Menu not working in Windows 10 is a very common bug to fix. Above all the shared methods are the best-selected methods. Therefore, users can try any of them according to their convenience. You can comment below if you are facing any other issue pertaining to the Start Menu. Please give your feedback so that we can serve you better.
Since its launch in 2016, WhatsApp desktop has become an internal part of the personal and professional lives of the modern population. As a result, users often need to open WhatsApp desktop to keep in touch with crucial notifications and messages without using mobile. However, this transition of WhatsApp from mobile to desktop is not […]
Most modern operating systems, like Windows 10, work smoothly on different devices. However, some errors may enter the device, which may cause it to malfunction or start creating issues with its features. For example, while every Windows 10 device offers seamless internet connectivity through Wi-Fi, users may have to face the issue of Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting […]
Web designers have been used for decades now to help companies and individuals build an online presence. They are different from programmers since they are the ones that make a website usable and don’t really deal with the code that makes it run. They can be quite expensive to hire to help you make a […]
You wrote an awesome idea in the Notes app, but when you try to access it on your Mac or iPhone, it’s gone! So, what is the reason for this? It’s primarily due to Apple Notes not syncing data between iPhone and Mac. Don’t be concerned. We faced a similar issue and were able to […]
Windows offer an in-built feature of remote desktop to allow a seamless connection between a remote PC and host system. It is widely used in remote assistance and remote working. Windows 11 and 10 users often feel the need to use a remote desktop which may create issues due to different reasons. Hence, many face […]
Introduction Gaming is among the most popular activities for many people, and multiple options are available across devices. Among them, racing simulation, be it extreme car racing themed or arcade/cart-based games, are one of the top sub-categories. On PlayStation PS4, users can expect a high-quality experience with these games, with detailed visuals and top-grade performance/speed. […]
Connecting to the internet is the primary need of multiple Windows 11 and 10 devices. Systems facing issues connecting with Wi-Fi need to look for the alternatives like mobile data. With USB tethering as the key alternative to the seamless Wi-Fi connection, USB tethering, when not working, can be highly irritating and must be immediately fixed. […]
Every app, simple or complex, goes through a specific development process. This process ensures that the app meets the client’s needs and satisfies the end user. Ultimately, each step—no matter how small—is essential to the app’s overall success. Read on for six must-do processes when building a successful application. Test the app Testing is a […]
With multiplayer games becoming increasingly popular worldwide, many game developers have focused on the Action and Adventure genres. Among these, Battle Royale games like PubG have gotten much attention, which is why Kinetic Games has released Phasmophobia, a multiplayer horror game. This game has been prereleased as an early access game, which means that specific […]
Google Chrome includes a file downloader module that allows you to download various types of files (images, documents, zips, executables, audio files, and so on) from the internet. Chrome not only downloads files but also performs a quick virus and malware scan on them. Unfortunately, the virus scan feature can begin to behave strangely and […]