How to Fix Start Menu not Working in Windows 10
Recently, due to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709, many users have faced that the Start Menu is not working at all. Sometimes, there may be other reasons too. When this type of problem occurs the first thing ping to our mind is that this might be the worst Operating System. But that’s not true, this is one of the best Operating Systems we have ever used. Also, you don’t need to worry because there are several ways to fix this problem.
Start menu not working in Windows 10?
Don’t stress your nerves, there are several ways to resolve the start menu not working crisis-
1.Re-login into your account
If the Start Menu is not working then this method is one of the best and the quickest methods to apply.
Steps to Re-login into your account: –
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del buttons simultaneously.
- Tap on Sign Out
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination again and insert your credentials (if any).
- You will log in again and your problem should be solved.
2.Create a new local account
This method could possibly end your trouble. But before heading with this method you should always back up your settings and files.
Steps to create a new local account: –
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Then click on File and tap on ‘Run new task’
- A dialog box appears saying ‘create new task’
- Type in ‘Powershell’ and put a check mark on ‘Create this task with administrative privileges’.
- Click on the OK button.
- On the Powershell Window, insert net user NewUsername NewPassword /add in the box.
- Restart your computer.
- Log in with the new user ID and password created.
3. Uninstall third-party antivirus software
In your system, if the Start Menu is not working appropriately then you should perhaps uninstall third-party malware software. To do so, the user needs to follow these steps: –
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Then, click on Setting > Apps > Apps and Features.
- Click on the Uninstall button to uninstall your installed antivirus.
- Check if the problem is fixed or not.
4. Launch a hidden Taskbar
We can apply this solution when the Windows button is not working or it is not visible on the taskbar or the whole taskbar is not visible.
Steps to launch a hidden taskbar-
- Press the Windows logo button and ‘I’ together.
- Tap on Personalization > Taskbar.
- Click on ‘Lock the Taskbar’ option.
- Also, check on ‘Automatically hide the taskbar’.
- Check if the Windows button is working or not.
5. Restart Windows Explorer
Restarting the Windows Explorer is one of the smart moves to fix the start menu not working in Windows 10 bug.
Steps to Restart Windows Explorer
- Simultaneously, press Alt + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Tap on more details if it is collapsed.
- Select the ‘Processes’ tab on the top of the window.
- Select ‘Windows Explorer’ and then click on the ‘Restart’ button.
- After completion of the process, close the Task Manager.
6. Update Drivers
Sometimes, the start menu not working problem emerges when the drivers of your PC get outdated. So, to fix this problem, update the graphics and audio drivers.
Steps to update drivers
- Open device manager, through the taskbar search box or you can press (Win + R), type ‘devmgmt.msc’, and press enter.
- Right-click Sound, video and game controllers category from the list and right click on device to select Update Driver.
- Tap on Search automatically for updated driver software to let Windows search and install all latest driver updates on your PC automatically.
- Alternatively, select Browse my computer for driver software and locate and install driver software manually from your device storage.
Note: Before you browse for latest driver software on your PC, you need to download it from manufacturer’s website.
If you can’t find an updated driver, you can also try using Smart Driver Care to update all outdated drivers automatically.
7. Restart Your Computer
After updating your computer’s drivers, if the problem is still unsolved then you should probably try to restart your device. This is one of the basic methods to fix any issue. To restart your PC, press Alt + F4 simultaneously or Click on the Start button and click on the ‘Power’ option. Then select the restart option from the dropdown menu to restart your computer.
8. Run SFC SCANNOW
The next option is one of the most preferred options. SFC SCANNOW is a System File Checker command that fixes corrupt files and settings and restores the computer in proper state.
- Press (Win + R) to open the Run command box.
- Type ‘CMD’ and press enter to open the command prompt.
- Type SFC SCANNOW and press enter.
- You can also try another command DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- to scan and restore a healthy image of the computer. This command enables the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool. DISM Online Cleanup command can fix errors that even SFC command couldn’t fix.
9. Reset Your Device
If none of the above methods worked to fix your Start Menu problem then you should Reset your PC. This is the most effective solution to solve this issue. This feature will delete all your saved files, apps, and settings. Hence, we recommend you take a backup before doing so. In Windows 10, you can reset your system by using Recovery options.
The Start Menu not working in Windows 10 is a very common bug to fix. Above all the shared methods are the best-selected methods. Therefore, users can try any of them according to their convenience. You can comment below if you are facing any other issue pertaining to the Start Menu. Please give your feedback so that we can serve you better.
10 Best Screen Sharing Apps for iOS and Android
Introduction: Screen sharing has become crucial for seamless interaction in today’s interconnected world. With remote work, project collaborations, and staying connected being our everyday essentials, screen-sharing apps have evolved to meet our on-the-go needs, aligning perfectly with our constant companions. Well, you guessed it right, our smartphones and tablets. In this blog post, we have […]
How to Format an External Storage Device in macOS
Introduction: Are you ready to supercharge your Mac’s capabilities by connecting an external hard drive? Well, before you can embark on this storage adventure, there’s an important task at hand: formatting your external hard drive to work seamlessly with your Mac. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you […]
How to Install and Use PuTTY for Mac
Introduction: In the realm of remote server management and secure network communication, PuTTY has earned a reputation as a reliable and versatile tool. Originally designed for Windows, PuTTY has expanded its reach to include other operating systems, including macOS, to cater to the needs of a wider user base. Hence, if you’re a Mac user […]
How to Fix Black Screen at Boot on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Whether as an individual or a professional, we are all strictly reliant on technology in some or the other way. And amidst this, encountering frustrating issues like a black screen at boot hits us like a roadblock. The black screen boot issue can affect both laptops and desktop computers running various versions of Windows. […]
How to Fix the “Network Discovery is Turned Off” Error on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Among many common Windows errors, the “network discovery is turned off” error is an annoying obstacle that disrupts your workflow. Whether you’re trying to share files, stream media, or access shared printers, encountering this error can be perplexing and disruptive. The good news is that understanding the causes and solutions for this error can […]
How to Use the New Bing With ChatGPT
Introduction: Gone are the days of sifting through endless search results. With Bing, powered with ChatGPT, you can now ask questions in plain language and receive instant, personalized answers tailored to your needs. It’s like having a conversation with a knowledgeable search assistant right at your fingertips. So, agree or not, you are definitely in […]
How to Use Split Screen on a Mac
Introduction: In today’s fast-paced digital world, maximizing productivity is the key. Period. And being able to juggle multiple tasks seamlessly is a skill worth mastering. If you’re a Mac user looking to boost your multitasking abilities, you’re in luck. Apple’s macOS offers a powerful feature known as Split Screen, which allows you to effortlessly divide […]
How to Disable the Lock Screen on Windows 11
Introduction: In the world of productivity, every single second counts. The last thing anyone wants is to be hindered by unnecessary obstacles while using their computer. One such obstacle is the lock screen that appears every time you wake up your Windows device. Though it may appear as a minor inconvenience, those valuable seconds spent […]
How to Find Your iPhone From an Android Device?
Introduction Mobile phones are the necessary daily gadget that functions the maximum amount of work for the user and help to communicate with people. It will be a disaster if you lose your iPhone anywhere on the street or office and have no idea how to recover it. Mostly you will panic and return to […]
How to Create a Custom Map in Google Maps
Introduction You may create Google custom maps that do not appear on anyone’s page by going to maps.google.com and using one of the many available choices. You do not need specialized software to make a unique map for you or someone else. All you require is Google Maps, which enables you to create a personalized […]