How to Fix Start Menu not Working in Windows 10
Recently, due to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709, many users have faced that the Start Menu is not working at all. Sometimes, there may be other reasons too. When this type of problem occurs the first thing ping to our mind is that this might be the worst Operating System. But that’s not true, this is one of the best Operating Systems we have ever used. Also, you don’t need to worry because there are several ways to fix this problem.
Start menu not working in Windows 10?
Don’t stress your nerves, there are several ways to resolve the start menu not working crisis-
1.Re-login into your account
If the Start Menu is not working then this method is one of the best and the quickest methods to apply.
Steps to Re-login into your account: –
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del buttons simultaneously.
- Tap on Sign Out
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination again and insert your credentials (if any).
- You will log in again and your problem should be solved.
2. Create a new local account
This method could possibly end your trouble. But before heading with this method you should always back up your settings and files.
Steps to create a new local account: –
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Then click on File and tap on ‘Run new task’
- A dialog box appears saying ‘create new task’
- Type in ‘Powershell’ and put a check mark on ‘Create this task with administrative privileges’.
- Click on the OK button.
- On the Powershell Window, insert net user NewUsername NewPassword /add in the box.
- Restart your computer.
- Log in with the new user ID and password created.
3. Uninstall third-party antivirus software
In your system, if the Start Menu is not working appropriately then you should perhaps uninstall third-party malware software. To do so, the user needs to follow these steps: –
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Then, click on Setting > Apps > Apps and Features.
- Click on the Uninstall button to uninstall your installed antivirus.
- Check if the problem is fixed or not.
4. Launch a hidden Taskbar
We can apply this solution when the Windows button is not working or it is not visible on the taskbar or the whole taskbar is not visible.
Steps to launch a hidden taskbar-
- Press the Windows logo button and ‘I’ together.
- Tap on Personalization > Taskbar.
- Click on ‘Lock the Taskbar’ option.
- Also, check on ‘Automatically hide the taskbar’.
- Check if the Windows button is working or not.
5. Restart Windows Explorer
Restarting the Windows Explorer is one of the smart moves to fix the start menu not working in Windows 10 bug.
Steps to Restart Windows Explorer
- Simultaneously, press Alt + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Tap on more details if it is collapsed.
- Select the ‘Processes’ tab on the top of the window.
- Select ‘Windows Explorer’ and then click on the ‘Restart’ button.
- After completion of the process, close the Task Manager.
6. Update Drivers
Sometimes, the start menu not working problem emerges when the drivers of your PC get outdated. So, to fix this problem, update the graphics and audio drivers.
Steps to update drivers
- Open device manager, through the taskbar search box or you can press (Win + R), type ‘devmgmt.msc’, and press enter.
- Right-click Sound, video and game controllers category from the list and right click on device to select Update Driver.
- Tap on Search automatically for updated driver software to let Windows search and install all latest driver updates on your PC automatically.
- Alternatively, select Browse my computer for driver software and locate and install driver software manually from your device storage.
Note: Before you browse for latest driver software on your PC, you need to download it from manufacturer’s website.
If you can’t find an updated driver, you can also try using Smart Driver Care to update all outdated drivers automatically.
7. Restart Your Computer
After updating your computer’s drivers, if the problem is still unsolved then you should probably try to restart your device. This is one of the basic methods to fix any issue. To restart your PC, press Alt + F4 simultaneously or Click on the Start button and click on the ‘Power’ option. Then select the restart option from the dropdown menu to restart your computer.
8. Run SFC SCANNOW
The next option is one of the most preferred options. SFC SCANNOW is a System File Checker command that fixes corrupt files and settings and restores the computer in proper state.
- Press (Win + R) to open the Run command box.
- Type ‘CMD’ and press enter to open the command prompt.
- Type SFC SCANNOW and press enter.
- You can also try another command DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- to scan and restore a healthy image of the computer. This command enables the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool. DISM Online Cleanup command can fix errors that even SFC command couldn’t fix.
9. Reset Your Device
If none of the above methods worked to fix your Start Menu problem then you should Reset your PC. This is the most effective solution to solve this issue. This feature will delete all your saved files, apps, and settings. Hence, we recommend you take a backup before doing so. In Windows 10, you can reset your system by using Recovery options.
The Start Menu not working in Windows 10 is a very common bug to fix. Above all the shared methods are the best-selected methods. Therefore, users can try any of them according to their convenience. You can comment below if you are facing any other issue pertaining to the Start Menu. Please give your feedback so that we can serve you better.
Introduction: Cryptocurrencies have exploded in popularity in recent years. Driving mainstream adoption are crypto exchanges – online platforms that allow investors to easily buy, sell, and trade digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Crypto exchanges provide the critical infrastructure that allows individuals and institutions seamless entry into the crypto ecosystem. But how exactly do these […]
Introduction: The “Preparing automatic repair” loop is a common issue that affects Windows 10 and 11 users when the operating system fails to boot properly. This automatic repair process tries to diagnose and fix boot issues but often gets stuck repeatedly restarting and checking for problems, creating an endless loop. There are several potential causes […]
Table Of Contents: Introduction What is Disk Partitioning Why is disk partitioning needed? How to do disk partitioning? Best Disk Partition Software for Windows 11/10/8/7 in 2024 EaseUS Partition Master MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro Paragon Partition Manager AOMEI Partition Assistant Active@ Partition Manager Tenorshare Partition Manager GParted Cute Partition Manager Macrorit Partition Expert IM-Magic Partition […]
Introduction: Using a Mac password manager app is one of the best ways to stay secure online. A good password management app generates strong, unique passwords for all your accounts, remembers them for you, and helps you log in quickly and easily. When choosing a password manager for your Mac, you’ll want one that is […]
Introduction: Managing passwords is a major challenge in the digital era. With the proliferation of online accounts, we’re expected to create and remember many complex, unique passwords. This poses a significant burden on our memory. Fortunately, Android password managers offer a convenient solution. These applications store passwords securely, generate strong random passwords, and auto-fill login […]
Introduction: Having strong and unique passwords for all your online accounts is essential for good digital security and privacy. Reusing the same passwords on multiple sites is a risky practice as a breach on one site puts all your accounts at risk. This is where a dedicated password manager comes in very handy. These apps […]
Introduction: In today’s digital age, we have loads of accounts – like email, social media, online banking, and shopping sites. That means we’ve got tons of passwords to remember. It’s risky to use the same password for everything, but keeping track of unique ones for each account can be tough. A password manager proves invaluable […]
Introduction: A clean and optimized Android device performs better, lasts longer, and runs faster. With time, caches, residual files, and unneeded data can clutter up your Android smartphone or tablet and slow it down. That’s why having a quality cleaner app is essential. The Google Play Store has hundreds of Android cleaner and optimization apps […]
The mobile gaming industry has experienced exponential growth, with an increasing number of users turning to their Android devices for immersive gaming experiences. With this surge in mobile gaming, the demand for efficient and effective apps to boost Android gaming has also risen. Game optimizer apps are designed to optimize the performance of Android devices, […]