How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10
Voice-based virtual assistants are ruling the technology realms nowadays. Whether it’s Amazon’s Alexa or Apple’s Siri, AI-based virtual assistants are redefining the way people search online.
Despite this boom in voice assistant technologies, Microsoft’s Cortana isn’t doing too great. In fact, as of January 2020, Cortana has been removed from the Windows search bar, Xbox One, and it’s no longer even going to have its own app.
So, if you aren’t also a Cortana fan and want to fully get rid of it, this post is for you. Below we will discuss different ways to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10. So, let’s say bye to Microsoft Cortana.
Reasons to Remove Cortana Windows 10
Despite Microsoft’s constant efforts, Cortana failed to gain immense popularity like its counterparts. In Cortana’s downfall, many reasons contributed like—
- It depends upon the Bing search engine to set reminders and answer questions, which is only used by 6.78% of online users in 2021.
- Cortana only supports eight languages, whereas Siri supports 21 languages.
- With Cortana, your personal information is shared with Microsoft to enhance user experience, but many people aren’t comfortable with this.
- Along with your Windows update, you will be forced to update the Cortana app too.
- Integration with some third-party tools isn’t up to par.
- Cortana is often reported to slow down a PC’s performance and speed.
So, there are many reasons to remove Cortana on your Windows 10 today. Let’s not wait any longer and get Cortana uninstalled/disabled on your PC now.
Disable Cortana on your Windows 10
Unlike other default Microsoft software, you can’t fully uninstall Cortana from your device. So, you can start by temporarily disabling Cortana, such as:
- Go to the Taskbar and select Cortana.
- Once the Cortana app opens on your screen, click on the three vertical dots in the upper left corner.
- Go to Settings > Keyboard Shortcut.
- Now, turn off Keyboard Shortcut and restart your PC to apply the changes.
- After rebooting, open the Cortana app again and select the Voice activation.
- Select Voice activation permissions > Turn off Let Cortana respondto the “Cortana” keyword.
Cortana won’t respond to keyboard shortcuts or voice commands with this method, but it won’t prevent Cortana from impacting your search experience.
Uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 Using Registry
Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have the privilege to permanently uninstall Cortana using the Registry Editor or Group Policy Editor. If you absolutely want to remove Cortana, use the Registry Editor this way:
- Use Windows + R keys or right-click the Windows icon to open the Run command prompt.
- Type regedit and press enter.
- Next, go to HKEY_Local_Machine > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows and then right-click on the Windows directory and navigate to New > Key.
- Name your new folder Windows Search and right-click on it.
- Then, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Create a new file with the name AllowCortana.
- Double-click on the file and set the value to 0, and press OK.
- Close the Registry Editor window, reboot your computer, and Cortana is successfully uninstalled.
If you aren’t comfortable with the Registry method, you can also remove Cortana from Windows 10 using the Group Policy Editor as:
- Prompt the Run command and type gpedit.msc into the command field and hit Enter.
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search and then open Allow Cortana with a double-click.
- Tick on Disabled and then click on OK.
- Get out of the Group Policy Editor, restart your PC, and you are done.
Remove Cortana on Windows 10 Using PowerShell
Today, you can find special uninstallers to remove almost all types of software from your computer. But unfortunately, you can’t uninstall Cortana with any tool. However, there’s still a way to remove Cortana with PowerShell. Let’s see how:
- Open the Start Menu and enter PowerShell in the search box.
- Select Windows PowerShell app and click open Run as Administrator.
- You need to bring up a list of all the active apps in the PowerShell app window. To do that, type Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName command.
- Copy PackageFullName value of Cortana and run the following command—
Get-AppxPackage PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
- Its output will be something like this—
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_220.127.116.1162_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy | Remove-AppxPackage.
- However, if you wish to remove Cortana for every user, type this command—
Get-AppxPackage -allusers PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
How to Stop Cortana from Accessing your Search History
If your only problem with Cortana is that it keeps track of search history and cloud habits. Then, you don’t need to go through the trouble of editing the Windows registry or using various commands in the PowerShell app. You can simply stop Cortana from recording your data as:
- Enter Permissions and history in the Windows Run command and press Enter.
- Navigate to History and turn off Search history on this device. Next, select the Clear device search history to clear Cortana search history.
- Go to the Finding a setting search and enter speech privacy settings.
- Once it opens, switch off the Use your voice for dictation and other apps using Microsoft’s online speech recognition technology option.
After this, Cortana will stay on your system but won’t gather information and report back to Microsoft.
Reinstall Cortana on Windows 10
If you have uninstalled Cortana as Registry Editor, you have a heart change, and now you want Cortana back. Since the Cortana app is no longer available on Microsoft Store, you have to use a system restore point. You can also go back into the Registry Editor and remove the AllowCortana file you have earlier created.
There you go, peeps; disabling, uninstalling, or permanently removing Cortana on Windows 10 is just a few minutes’ process. You can use any of the above-mentioned methods to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 at your convenience and stop Cortana from bugging you forever.
To become a Windows pro, you can check out other blogs on our website too. And don’t forget to like our posts!
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]
Due to recent events, the way people meet and greet has totally changed. Now, you no longer find dates or make friends in social gatherings or via mutual friends. Today, everything is virtual — from work to making new friends. Therefore, virtual dating and chat apps are getting highly popular these days. Among all the […]
Do you have a genuine reason to hack someone’s Instagram password? For instance, you want to keep an eye on your teen’s Instagram activities; your friend has forgotten his or her IG password or something else. Here if you have a legitimate reason to hack Instagram password, there are numerous legal Instagram password cracker tools […]
If you are wondering that augmented reality-based applications are still very far in the future, you are wrong. Today, AR-oriented websites and mobile applications are being developed rapidly; just look at the Apple 12 or EaseUS MobiMover websites to check mind-blowing AR effects. Additionally, users are nowadays looking for more realistic and personalized experiences from […]
Whether you want to follow the latest trends or wish to engage with your Instagram followers, IG Reels can help you with everything. But what if Instagram Reels are not working for you? Sounds scary! But it is possible. Despite Instagram being one of the most popular photos sharing platforms, it still faces numerous technical […]
Wireless earbuds are hot items these days, especially after Apple’s AirPods popularity. Now, to stimulate the wireless connectivity industry, xFyro has also introduced new ANC earbuds. The company claims to develop fully waterproof, 8-hour long battery life and superior HD sound quality powered with AI-technology earbuds. The product seems amazing from the company’s briefing, but […]
We’d like to welcome you to The Elder Scrolls Online’s Nightblade leveling guide! The build is intended to assist anyone who is upgrading a Nightblade in order to become a Magicka damage dealer. This isn’t a typical “leveling procedure,” but rather a structure that shows some of the most common constructions for this role. This […]
Apple TV is one of the finest streaming devices available, supporting SD, HD, and 4K resolutions. But why should you get it? Let’s find out! Apple just upgraded the Apple TV 4K, which means you can now view models from 2017 and 2021. But what is the difference and is it worthwhile to upgrade from […]
If one thing associated with Covid-19 outbreak that made life easier for people is evolution in video & digital platforms. Working and studying from home has seen a surge in demand for more quality videos. Recorded lectures, presentations, and other forms of video content are easily available now in HD quality, thanks to video editing […]
Subtitles have established a track record as significant parts of videos. In addition to several benefits, they keep viewers comprehensively immersed in videos. While subtitles pilot viewers who can grasp the audio of a video, captions are regrettably different. Regardless, subtitles dictate an all-around video experience for all audio-visual audiences. But how can you perform […]
Are you bad at managing finances? Do you often overspend your monthly budget? Then, no need to worry! As you can appoint a personal financial advisor to help you out. No, you don’t need to spend thousands on hiring a financial advisor. Simply open your smartphone and download the best personal finance apps on it. […]
Many Mac users encounter the problem of disk space shortage sooner or later. But, how exactly does space run low on Mac devices? Take a look at the visual representation of disk storage space on your Mac. You’ll see a bar with several differently colored sections notifying you what portion of memory is occupied by […]
Do you want to get more likes, comments, and reshares on your social media posts? Then, simply create memes! That’s because everyone loves to laugh and have a bit of fun on social media. Plus, people remember sarcastic and realistic posts better than promotional or serious posts. Additionally, you don’t need to hire a professional […]
Digital marketing, or the modern version of marketing, is much different from the traditional methods. Unlike the latter, the former saves both time and money. And in conjunction with modern tools such as VPNs, it transcends geographical boundaries and expectations to deliver the best results. For instance, you can reach out to your audience in […]