How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10
Voice-based virtual assistants are ruling the technology realms nowadays. Whether it’s Amazon’s Alexa or Apple’s Siri, AI-based virtual assistants are redefining the way people search online.
Despite this boom in voice assistant technologies, Microsoft’s Cortana isn’t doing too great. In fact, as of January 2020, Cortana has been removed from the Windows search bar, Xbox One, and it’s no longer even going to have its own app.
So, if you aren’t also a Cortana fan and want to fully get rid of it, this post is for you. Below we will discuss different ways to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10. So, let’s say bye to Microsoft Cortana.
Reasons to Remove Cortana Windows 10
Despite Microsoft’s constant efforts, Cortana failed to gain immense popularity like its counterparts. In Cortana’s downfall, many reasons contributed like—
- It depends upon the Bing search engine to set reminders and answer questions, which is only used by 6.78% of online users in 2021.
- Cortana only supports eight languages, whereas Siri supports 21 languages.
- With Cortana, your personal information is shared with Microsoft to enhance user experience, but many people aren’t comfortable with this.
- Along with your Windows update, you will be forced to update the Cortana app too.
- Integration with some third-party tools isn’t up to par.
- Cortana is often reported to slow down a PC’s performance and speed.
So, there are many reasons to remove Cortana on your Windows 10 today. Let’s not wait any longer and get Cortana uninstalled/disabled on your PC now.
Disable Cortana on your Windows 10
Unlike other default Microsoft software, you can’t fully uninstall Cortana from your device. So, you can start by temporarily disabling Cortana, such as:
- Go to the Taskbar and select Cortana.
- Once the Cortana app opens on your screen, click on the three vertical dots in the upper left corner.
- Go to Settings > Keyboard Shortcut.
- Now, turn off Keyboard Shortcut and restart your PC to apply the changes.
- After rebooting, open the Cortana app again and select the Voice activation.
- Select Voice activation permissions > Turn off Let Cortana respondto the “Cortana” keyword.
Cortana won’t respond to keyboard shortcuts or voice commands with this method, but it won’t prevent Cortana from impacting your search experience.
Uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 Using Registry
Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have the privilege to permanently uninstall Cortana using the Registry Editor or Group Policy Editor. If you absolutely want to remove Cortana, use the Registry Editor this way:
- Use Windows + R keys or right-click the Windows icon to open the Run command prompt.
- Type regedit and press enter.
- Next, go to HKEY_Local_Machine > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows and then right-click on the Windows directory and navigate to New > Key.
- Name your new folder Windows Search and right-click on it.
- Then, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Create a new file with the name AllowCortana.
- Double-click on the file and set the value to 0, and press OK.
- Close the Registry Editor window, reboot your computer, and Cortana is successfully uninstalled.
If you aren’t comfortable with the Registry method, you can also remove Cortana from Windows 10 using the Group Policy Editor as:
- Prompt the Run command and type gpedit.msc into the command field and hit Enter.
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search and then open Allow Cortana with a double-click.
- Tick on Disabled and then click on OK.
- Get out of the Group Policy Editor, restart your PC, and you are done.
Remove Cortana on Windows 10 Using PowerShell
Today, you can find special uninstallers to remove almost all types of software from your computer. But unfortunately, you can’t uninstall Cortana with any tool. However, there’s still a way to remove Cortana with PowerShell. Let’s see how:
- Open the Start Menu and enter PowerShell in the search box.
- Select Windows PowerShell app and click open Run as Administrator.
- You need to bring up a list of all the active apps in the PowerShell app window. To do that, type Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName command.
- Copy PackageFullName value of Cortana and run the following command—
Get-AppxPackage PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
- Its output will be something like this—
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_184.108.40.20662_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy | Remove-AppxPackage.
- However, if you wish to remove Cortana for every user, type this command—
Get-AppxPackage -allusers PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
How to Stop Cortana from Accessing your Search History
If your only problem with Cortana is that it keeps track of search history and cloud habits. Then, you don’t need to go through the trouble of editing the Windows registry or using various commands in the PowerShell app. You can simply stop Cortana from recording your data as:
- Enter Permissions and history in the Windows Run command and press Enter.
- Navigate to History and turn off Search history on this device. Next, select the Clear device search history to clear Cortana search history.
- Go to the Finding a setting search and enter speech privacy settings.
- Once it opens, switch off the Use your voice for dictation and other apps using Microsoft’s online speech recognition technology option.
After this, Cortana will stay on your system but won’t gather information and report back to Microsoft.
Reinstall Cortana on Windows 10
If you have uninstalled Cortana as Registry Editor, you have a heart change, and now you want Cortana back. Since the Cortana app is no longer available on Microsoft Store, you have to use a system restore point. You can also go back into the Registry Editor and remove the AllowCortana file you have earlier created.
There you go, peeps; disabling, uninstalling, or permanently removing Cortana on Windows 10 is just a few minutes’ process. You can use any of the above-mentioned methods to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 at your convenience and stop Cortana from bugging you forever.
To become a Windows pro, you can check out other blogs on our website too. And don’t forget to like our posts!
Internet connectivity is a mandated requirement for many routine works on Windows 10 systems. Whether it is some official work or personal work, having a smooth internet connection is important for both. However, internet connectivity is not so smooth for all Windows 10 users. This is due to multiple reasons like geographical issues, increased traffic, […]
Windows 11 offers the ultimate experience to the users and comes with multiple features. Hence, all devices require an updated version of Windows for seamless operations. Many times a user has to go to purchase the costly Windows 11. Due to the cost constraints, it is not feasible for all Windows users to purchase the […]
The finest encryption software enables keeping your files private and safe for security considerations, as well as protecting them against intrusion. When it relates to securing your data and documents, encryption software seems to have become increasingly vital. Hacking attempts and privacy breaches have made it simpler for total strangers to access the most private […]
Have you often pondered how to display your desktop on whether you’re a Windows 11,10 user or recently updated towards the beta windows version 11? It is a question that almost all of us have asked. Using a display capturing app is the most straightforward approach to record a screen. And TweakShot is one of […]
Windows 11 is the leading operating system that is used on multiple systems globally. Many times users have the issue of recovering the permanently deleted files in Windows 11. There can be multiple reasons that may lead to the permanent deletion of files on this operating system. The good news is that technology helps the […]
Are you looking for a way to save movies on DVD, Blu-ray discs and share them with loved ones? You are at the right place; we will share steps to burn DVDs on Mac. Need of Burning Movies to DVD In pursuit of moving users to iCloud, Apple, for some years now, has been moving […]
The world is changing. Along with the hustle and bustle, the way we perceive and adopt education is also evolving. Students don’t have to struggle as much in the olden days. Yes, they are more occupied and have deadly deadlines, so these tools are in the store for them to cope with the pressure! Mindnode […]
Plagiarism in papers can spoil your grades in college. Every student understands that it is a grave mistake and can leave them with zero. Therefore, it is a must to run a plagiarism checker on the document after you have done it. Below are given five top plagiarism tools you can reliably use for improved […]
A player’s first point of call with a new video game is its name. As such, a well chosen name can be a decisive factor in whether a title achieves commercial success or ends up in the bargain bin. The stories as to how different games get their names are as varied as the imaginary […]
Indeed, Programming Language is the main essential for pretty much every discipline whether it be Web Development, Machine Learning, Data Science, or some other. Every programming language has a huge demand in the programming field. In this article, you’ll find about the top 10 programming languages of 2021. Specifically, beginners firmly need to consider a […]
For people with color vision disabilities and vision loss, to make things easy and help them deal with issues while working on a PC, Windows 11 provides built-in color filters. So, if you are looking for a way to use color filters, follow through with the step-by-step instructions and learn how to use color filters […]
Take your YouTube stream to the next level in your living room. Are you happy with YouTube being a snack-sized place for videos? Or do you want to make it more than that? If your answer is yes, we know how you can make more out of it and make YouTube a substantial entertainment resource […]
Removing bloatware from Windows 11 is not impossible. If you know the correct instructions, it is as easy as 1-2-3. This article will explain everything clearly, thus helping get rid of bloatware from Windows 11. To begin with, we will learn how to remove bloatware using the traditional Uninstall function. Best Ways to Remove Bloatware […]
It’s literally impossible to run a business without a digital presence nowadays. Twenty years ago, the internet was just one of the ways that prospective clients could learn about your product. Now, it’s almost impossible to imagine that someone will learn about your brand somewhere else. Thus, you need to make sure that your business […]
With more than 122 million users accessing YouTube daily, the video streaming service has been an undisputed winner. However, every once in a while, a YouTube channel posts inappropriate content or something you might not like. If you understand what we are saying, we are sailing in the same boat. In this post, we will […]