How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10
Voice-based virtual assistants are ruling the technology realms nowadays. Whether it’s Amazon’s Alexa or Apple’s Siri, AI-based virtual assistants are redefining the way people search online.
Despite this boom in voice assistant technologies, Microsoft’s Cortana isn’t doing too great. In fact, as of January 2020, Cortana has been removed from the Windows search bar, Xbox One, and it’s no longer even going to have its own app.
So, if you aren’t also a Cortana fan and want to fully get rid of it, this post is for you. Below we will discuss different ways to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10. So, let’s say bye to Microsoft Cortana.
Reasons to Remove Cortana Windows 10
Despite Microsoft’s constant efforts, Cortana failed to gain immense popularity like its counterparts. In Cortana’s downfall, many reasons contributed like—
- It depends upon the Bing search engine to set reminders and answer questions, which is only used by 6.78% of online users in 2021.
- Cortana only supports eight languages, whereas Siri supports 21 languages.
- With Cortana, your personal information is shared with Microsoft to enhance user experience, but many people aren’t comfortable with this.
- Along with your Windows update, you will be forced to update the Cortana app too.
- Integration with some third-party tools isn’t up to par.
- Cortana is often reported to slow down a PC’s performance and speed.
So, there are many reasons to remove Cortana on your Windows 10 today. Let’s not wait any longer and get Cortana uninstalled/disabled on your PC now.
Disable Cortana on your Windows 10
Unlike other default Microsoft software, you can’t fully uninstall Cortana from your device. So, you can start by temporarily disabling Cortana, such as:
- Go to the Taskbar and select Cortana.
- Once the Cortana app opens on your screen, click on the three vertical dots in the upper left corner.
- Go to Settings > Keyboard Shortcut.
- Now, turn off Keyboard Shortcut and restart your PC to apply the changes.
- After rebooting, open the Cortana app again and select the Voice activation.
- Select Voice activation permissions > Turn off Let Cortana respondto the “Cortana” keyword.
Cortana won’t respond to keyboard shortcuts or voice commands with this method, but it won’t prevent Cortana from impacting your search experience.
Uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 Using Registry
Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have the privilege to permanently uninstall Cortana using the Registry Editor or Group Policy Editor. If you absolutely want to remove Cortana, use the Registry Editor this way:
- Use Windows + R keys or right-click the Windows icon to open the Run command prompt.
- Type regedit and press enter.
- Next, go to HKEY_Local_Machine > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows and then right-click on the Windows directory and navigate to New > Key.
- Name your new folder Windows Search and right-click on it.
- Then, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Create a new file with the name AllowCortana.
- Double-click on the file and set the value to 0, and press OK.
- Close the Registry Editor window, reboot your computer, and Cortana is successfully uninstalled.
If you aren’t comfortable with the Registry method, you can also remove Cortana from Windows 10 using the Group Policy Editor as:
- Prompt the Run command and type gpedit.msc into the command field and hit Enter.
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search and then open Allow Cortana with a double-click.
- Tick on Disabled and then click on OK.
- Get out of the Group Policy Editor, restart your PC, and you are done.
Remove Cortana on Windows 10 Using PowerShell
Today, you can find special uninstallers to remove almost all types of software from your computer. But unfortunately, you can’t uninstall Cortana with any tool. However, there’s still a way to remove Cortana with PowerShell. Let’s see how:
- Open the Start Menu and enter PowerShell in the search box.
- Select Windows PowerShell app and click open Run as Administrator.
- You need to bring up a list of all the active apps in the PowerShell app window. To do that, type Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName command.
- Copy PackageFullName value of Cortana and run the following command—
Get-AppxPackage PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
- Its output will be something like this—
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_18.104.22.16862_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy | Remove-AppxPackage.
- However, if you wish to remove Cortana for every user, type this command—
Get-AppxPackage -allusers PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
How to Stop Cortana from Accessing your Search History
If your only problem with Cortana is that it keeps track of search history and cloud habits. Then, you don’t need to go through the trouble of editing the Windows registry or using various commands in the PowerShell app. You can simply stop Cortana from recording your data as:
- Enter Permissions and history in the Windows Run command and press Enter.
- Navigate to History and turn off Search history on this device. Next, select the Clear device search history to clear Cortana search history.
- Go to the Finding a setting search and enter speech privacy settings.
- Once it opens, switch off the Use your voice for dictation and other apps using Microsoft’s online speech recognition technology option.
After this, Cortana will stay on your system but won’t gather information and report back to Microsoft.
Reinstall Cortana on Windows 10
If you have uninstalled Cortana as Registry Editor, you have a heart change, and now you want Cortana back. Since the Cortana app is no longer available on Microsoft Store, you have to use a system restore point. You can also go back into the Registry Editor and remove the AllowCortana file you have earlier created.
There you go, peeps; disabling, uninstalling, or permanently removing Cortana on Windows 10 is just a few minutes’ process. You can use any of the above-mentioned methods to uninstall Cortana on Windows 10 at your convenience and stop Cortana from bugging you forever.
To become a Windows pro, you can check out other blogs on our website too. And don’t forget to like our posts!
A New Immersive Experience: Apple Vision Pro Complete Review
Introduction: Are you ready to step into the future with Apple’s most groundbreaking creation to date—the Apple Vision Pro? Unveiled on June 6, 2023, at the WWDC 2023 conference, this mixed reality headset marks a pivotal moment as Apple steps into the world of spatial computing. Brace yourself for an unparalleled immersive journey as we […]
How to Fix PDF Not Opening in Chrome Browser
Introduction: Is PDF not opening in Chrome? We’ve got you covered. PDF (Portable Document Format) files have become an essential part of our lives, allowing us to easily share and access documents across different platforms. However, encountering issues with PDF files not opening in the Chrome browser can be incredibly frustrating, hindering our productivity and […]
How to Protect Your Electronics From Power Outages
Introduction: Our heavy reliance on electronics has become increasingly profound. From smartphones and laptops to home entertainment systems and valuable appliances, these devices play an indispensable role in our daily lives. However, the vulnerability of these electronics to unexpected power outages can lead to costly damages and data loss. Whether you live in an area […]
10 Best Screen Sharing Apps for iOS and Android
Introduction: Screen sharing has become crucial for seamless interaction in today’s interconnected world. With remote work, project collaborations, and staying connected being our everyday essentials, screen-sharing apps have evolved to meet our on-the-go needs, aligning perfectly with our constant companions. Well, you guessed it right, our smartphones and tablets. In this blog post, we have […]
How to Format an External Storage Device in macOS
Introduction: Are you ready to supercharge your Mac’s capabilities by connecting an external hard drive? Well, before you can embark on this storage adventure, there’s an important task at hand: formatting your external hard drive to work seamlessly with your Mac. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you […]
How to Install and Use PuTTY for Mac
Introduction: In the realm of remote server management and secure network communication, PuTTY has earned a reputation as a reliable and versatile tool. Originally designed for Windows, PuTTY has expanded its reach to include other operating systems, including macOS, to cater to the needs of a wider user base. Hence, if you’re a Mac user […]
How to Fix Black Screen at Boot on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Whether as an individual or a professional, we are all strictly reliant on technology in some or the other way. And amidst this, encountering frustrating issues like a black screen at boot hits us like a roadblock. The black screen boot issue can affect both laptops and desktop computers running various versions of Windows. […]
How to Fix the “Network Discovery is Turned Off” Error on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Among many common Windows errors, the “network discovery is turned off” error is an annoying obstacle that disrupts your workflow. Whether you’re trying to share files, stream media, or access shared printers, encountering this error can be perplexing and disruptive. The good news is that understanding the causes and solutions for this error can […]
How to Use the New Bing With ChatGPT
Introduction: Gone are the days of sifting through endless search results. With Bing, powered with ChatGPT, you can now ask questions in plain language and receive instant, personalized answers tailored to your needs. It’s like having a conversation with a knowledgeable search assistant right at your fingertips. So, agree or not, you are definitely in […]
How to Use Split Screen on a Mac
Introduction: In today’s fast-paced digital world, maximizing productivity is the key. Period. And being able to juggle multiple tasks seamlessly is a skill worth mastering. If you’re a Mac user looking to boost your multitasking abilities, you’re in luck. Apple’s macOS offers a powerful feature known as Split Screen, which allows you to effortlessly divide […]