How to Fix Laptop Keys Not Working
Due to various reasons laptop keyboard stops working. Thankfully, there are few quick hacks you can follow to fix this issue. Let’s discuss how to fix laptop keys not working following below steps.
How to fix laptop keys not working?
1. Restart your PC
The first quick hack to fix laptop keys not working is to restart your laptop. A quick restart could help you fix various performance issues effortlessly. It could kill the processes that hamper laptop keys from functioning. To do this, simply click Start menu > Power > Restart. If mouse or touchpad isn’t working, then you need to press & hold power button for few seconds to turn the device off. Once done, press power button again to restart it.
2. Update or Rollback laptop keyboard drivers
You may encounter various performance issues if you are running on outdated, corrupt, missing, or incompatible drivers. Updating drivers is next best solution you can try if laptop keyboard isn’t working. To update keyboard drivers, follow these steps:
- Right click on Start menu icon and select Device Manager.
- On Device Manager window, expand Keyboards category.
- Right click on device type and select Update Driver.
Now you will find two options:
- First, Search automatically for updated driver software. If you choose this option, then Windows will search for latest drivers on your PC and the Internet and install it on your device. This feature may not work if you have disabled this feature in your device installation settings.
- Second, Browse my computer for driver software. You can use this option to locate and install driver software manually. Before, you use this option; you need to download the driver installation file from the device manufacturer website.
Let the process complete and restart your PC.
Note: If you want to update drivers automatically, then try best driver updater software. These powerful tools help you update & install outdated, missing, corrupt, and incompatible drivers automatically.
If updating drivers don’t work, then you need to uninstall the device and install it again. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Start > Device Manager.
- On Device Manager window, expand Keyboards category.
- Right click on device type and select Properties.
- Select Driver tab.
- Now click Uninstall Device and press Ok.
- Restart your PC. It will reinstall drivers automatically.
Check if laptop keys have started working again.
Note: If the device fails after updating the driver, click Roll Back Driver option to return back to the previously installed driver.
3. Power reset your laptop
You can consider power reset your laptop to fix laptop keys not working. To do this, follow these steps:
- Turn of your laptop.
- Now disconnect all peripherals and power cable from your laptop.
- Remove device battery (if it is removable).
- Next is to press & hold the power button for 15 seconds.
- Install the battery again and connect the power cable.
- Turn on your laptop and see if issue is fixed.
Note: If it doesn’t work, then you need to check the bottom surface of your device to find pinhole reset button. You need to press this pinhole button to power reset your laptop.
4. Fix specific key not working
If you find specific keyboard key isn’t working, then it can be fixed easily changing language settings. To ascertain the issue is with specific key, open a text editor and press the key in question. If you find the output is different than desired, then you should change the language settings. To do this, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- On Settings window, select Time & Language.
- On the next window, select Region & Language option.
- Click Add a language and select the correct language option for your keyboard.
- Click Next and then Install to set the language.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
5. Check for hardware issues
In addition to other steps, you should consider checking for hardware issues to fix laptop keys not working. To do this, you should restart your PC and enter the BIOS. To enter the BIOS, you need to press compatible key mentioned on the screen during reboot process. It is usually F2 or Delete key. You need to press this key until you enter BIOS mode. If you are able to enter BIOS, then the issue is with software. If you find issue is with hardware, then consider cleaning keyboard or replacing it as needed.
So, this was a detailed discussion on how to fix laptop keys not working. Do try these steps and share your experience in the comments below.
Explore a comprehensive comparison between CCleaner VS Advanced SystemCare, two leading system optimization tools. Discover their features, functionalities, and performance to make an informed choice.
Discover the top 10 CCleaner alternatives for Mac in 2023. Explore a range of efficient, user-friendly programs like CCleaner for Mac tailored for a seamless macOS experience.
Discover the top 15 free live wallpaper apps for Windows 10 & 11 PC! Elevate your desktop experience with these dynamic and stunning wallpapers. Find the perfect app to personalize your desktop.
How to fix Unknown USB Device error which is also famous as Device Descriptor Request Failed error on Windows 11 and Windows 10 PC.
When you secure college admission to pursue a degree or diploma of your choice, what often comes to your mind? Except for those who got a chance to study in a specific university due to talent, especially sports, a significant proportion of students will want to land a well-paying job, whereas a few might opt […]
Fix the error “Windows Has Stopped this Device because it has Reported Problems” or Code 43 error on Windows 11 and Windows 10.
Here are the best script writing software which can help you write amazing stuff. These software to write scripts can make the process convenient for you.
n: CleanMyMac X is offering an exclusive 30% discount for Black Friday only. Get the top Mac optimization software at an unbeatable price. Learn about the powerful features of CleanMyMac X and why you should grab this 1-day deal.
Unsure when it’s time to seek professional help for resolving the application error (0xc0000005)? This blog post has got you covered with clear guidance and solutions.