How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10?
You are all set to start your new WFH day. But, when you fire up your computer, you realize that your Ethernet is not working.
OMG! Now what to do now?
Wait for a second, don’t go frantic yet as you can easily fix the Ethernet cable not working on your PC. Usually, Ethernet port not working issues occur due to a faulty driver or internal Windows settings. The reason could also vary, but nothing that can’t be fixed quickly.
Based on our team’s research and readers’ questions, we have created LAN not working quick fixes. Just try these methods and fix the Ethernet connected but no internet issue.
How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10 — 11 Quick Fixes
Ethernet cable not working issues can cripple your internet connectivity in many ways. Common scenarios are:
- Ethernet connected but no internet connection
- Ethernet cable connection fluctuation
- Ethernet not detected, etc.
You can fix LAN not working on Windows with ease by using the following methods:
1. Check Connection
It is a very obvious solution that people sometimes forget to try. Make sure that the network connection is enabled and not causing Ethernet connected but no internet problem.
- Right-click on the Start button and choose the Network Connections option.
- If Ethernet is disabled, right-click over it and click on the Enable.
2. Disable and Enable Ethernet
If your Ethernet is enabled in the Network Connection Settings, but the internet isn’t working, you can try to disable and enable it. This old disable and enable trick can fix Ethernet ports not working in most cases.
- Press Windows and I keys together to open Settings.
- Click on the Network & Internet option from the Settings window.
- Select the Ethernet option from the left pane. Then, click on the Change Adapter option.
- At the Network Connection window, navigate for the Ethernet Connection. Right-click to disable it and then enable it.
3. Enable Ethernet Driver
In many cases, Ethernet drivers are disabled on PCs, causing Ethernet not to work. Go and simply enable it.
- Press Windows and X keys together. Click on the Device Manager option.
- On the Device Manager window, expand the Network Adapters option. Navigate for Ethernet driver and right-click and Enable it. You can also first disable it and then enable it again.
4. Update Ethernet Driver
If you haven’t updated your Windows drivers in a long time, it can cause LAN not working trouble. You can try to update your old Ethernet driver to fix your internet connection.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand the Network Adapter option and identify the Ethernet card.
- Right-click on it and choose the Properties option.
- Under the Device Status window, it will show that your device is working properly.
- If the Ethernet controller shows a question mark or exclamation, you should update the driver from the vendor’s website.
5. Switch Back To Previous Drive
If you have recently updated your Ethernet driver and since then the Ethernet not working problem starts, you should switch back to the previous driver version. When your latest driver version doesn’t support Windows OS or Ethernet cable, it raises errors.
- Launch Device Manager, go to Network Adapters, and select the network adapter.
- Right-click on it and click on the Properties.
- Select the Driver tab and click on the Roll Back Driver.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install a previous driver version.
- If this option is unavailable, that means there’s no driver to roll back to.
6. Examine Connection Details
Sometimes wrong connection details can cause the Ethernet not working problem.
- Right-click on the Ethernet Connection and select the Properties.
- Once the Ethernet Properties window opens, double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 option.
- Now, you can enter the correct connection details.
- Mostly, enabling the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically is sufficient. But, in some situations, you have to manually input the details. To do so, you have to consult your router configuration manual.
7. Change Power Management Settings
Your system power management settings can raise the Ethernet port not working issue.
- Open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapter, right-click on the Ethernet device, and select Properties.
- Under the Ethernet Properties window, click on the Power Management tab.
- Now, uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
- Click on Apply and reboot your PC to save changes.
8. Reset Network
When Ethernet is connected, but no internet connection is showing on your device, you can reset network settings.
- Navigate to the Settings, click on the Network & Internet, and then Status.
- Look for the Network Reset option to reset your network components to default.
- Click on the Resent Now button and confirm it with Yes.
9. Switch Off Antivirus and VPN Software
If you are using VPN, firewall, or antivirus software to secure your network, try to turn them off. Sometimes the problem is with third-party tools that make your LAN not working.
- Launch Windows Firewall from the Start menu.
- Select the Turn Windows Firewall on and off.
- Click on the Disable button.
- Reconnect Ethernet to see results.
10. Use Internet Troubleshooter
A Windows 10 troubleshooter has solutions for everything. It can indeed fix Ethernet not working on your device too.
- Open the Start menu and type Settings.
- Move to Update & Security and click on the Troubleshooter.
- Launch the internet connection troubleshooter. Restart your computer and check the Ethernet connection now.
11. Miscellaneous Fixes
By now, you must have a working Ethernet connection. But, if luck isn’t on your side, try some miscellaneous fixes:
- Change Computer: If nothing fixes Ethernet not working on your PC, maybe the problem is related to the PC. Try to connect networks on a different computer and ensure if the problem is the same on it.
- Update Windows OS: If you have a Windows OS update available, do it. Updating software can fix many minor issues on Windows 10.
- Check Ethernet Cable: Check your Ethernet port physical connection to fix the problem. Ensure that the cable isn’t damaged or broken from anywhere.
- Replace Router: Home-based users can try to change the router to fix LAN not working issues.
Ethernet is working! If you follow our certified solutions, you will exclaim that with joy. For further queries, we are always open. So, comment, like, and share if you find our post useful.
Introduction: Cryptocurrencies have exploded in popularity in recent years. Driving mainstream adoption are crypto exchanges – online platforms that allow investors to easily buy, sell, and trade digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Crypto exchanges provide the critical infrastructure that allows individuals and institutions seamless entry into the crypto ecosystem. But how exactly do these […]
Introduction: The “Preparing automatic repair” loop is a common issue that affects Windows 10 and 11 users when the operating system fails to boot properly. This automatic repair process tries to diagnose and fix boot issues but often gets stuck repeatedly restarting and checking for problems, creating an endless loop. There are several potential causes […]
Table Of Contents: Introduction What is Disk Partitioning Why is disk partitioning needed? How to do disk partitioning? Best Disk Partition Software for Windows 11/10/8/7 in 2024 EaseUS Partition Master MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro Paragon Partition Manager AOMEI Partition Assistant Active@ Partition Manager Tenorshare Partition Manager GParted Cute Partition Manager Macrorit Partition Expert IM-Magic Partition […]
Introduction: Using a Mac password manager app is one of the best ways to stay secure online. A good password management app generates strong, unique passwords for all your accounts, remembers them for you, and helps you log in quickly and easily. When choosing a password manager for your Mac, you’ll want one that is […]
Introduction: Managing passwords is a major challenge in the digital era. With the proliferation of online accounts, we’re expected to create and remember many complex, unique passwords. This poses a significant burden on our memory. Fortunately, Android password managers offer a convenient solution. These applications store passwords securely, generate strong random passwords, and auto-fill login […]
Introduction: Having strong and unique passwords for all your online accounts is essential for good digital security and privacy. Reusing the same passwords on multiple sites is a risky practice as a breach on one site puts all your accounts at risk. This is where a dedicated password manager comes in very handy. These apps […]
Introduction: In today’s digital age, we have loads of accounts – like email, social media, online banking, and shopping sites. That means we’ve got tons of passwords to remember. It’s risky to use the same password for everything, but keeping track of unique ones for each account can be tough. A password manager proves invaluable […]
Introduction: A clean and optimized Android device performs better, lasts longer, and runs faster. With time, caches, residual files, and unneeded data can clutter up your Android smartphone or tablet and slow it down. That’s why having a quality cleaner app is essential. The Google Play Store has hundreds of Android cleaner and optimization apps […]
The mobile gaming industry has experienced exponential growth, with an increasing number of users turning to their Android devices for immersive gaming experiences. With this surge in mobile gaming, the demand for efficient and effective apps to boost Android gaming has also risen. Game optimizer apps are designed to optimize the performance of Android devices, […]