How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10?
You are all set to start your new WFH day. But, when you fire up your computer, you realize that your Ethernet is not working.
OMG! Now what to do now?
Wait for a second, don’t go frantic yet as you can easily fix the Ethernet cable not working on your PC. Usually, Ethernet port not working issues occur due to a faulty driver or internal Windows settings. The reason could also vary, but nothing that can’t be fixed quickly.
Based on our team’s research and readers’ questions, we have created LAN not working quick fixes. Just try these methods and fix the Ethernet connected but no internet issue.
How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10 — 11 Quick Fixes
Ethernet cable not working issues can cripple your internet connectivity in many ways. Common scenarios are:
- Ethernet connected but no internet connection
- Ethernet cable connection fluctuation
- Ethernet not detected, etc.
You can fix LAN not working on Windows with ease by using the following methods:
1. Check Connection
It is a very obvious solution that people sometimes forget to try. Make sure that the network connection is enabled and not causing Ethernet connected but no internet problem.
- Right-click on the Start button and choose the Network Connections option.
- If Ethernet is disabled, right-click over it and click on the Enable.
2. Disable and Enable Ethernet
If your Ethernet is enabled in the Network Connection Settings, but the internet isn’t working, you can try to disable and enable it. This old disable and enable trick can fix Ethernet ports not working in most cases.
- Press Windows and I keys together to open Settings.
- Click on the Network & Internet option from the Settings window.
- Select the Ethernet option from the left pane. Then, click on the Change Adapter option.
- At the Network Connection window, navigate for the Ethernet Connection. Right-click to disable it and then enable it.
3. Enable Ethernet Driver
In many cases, Ethernet drivers are disabled on PCs, causing Ethernet not to work. Go and simply enable it.
- Press Windows and X keys together. Click on the Device Manager option.
- On the Device Manager window, expand the Network Adapters option. Navigate for Ethernet driver and right-click and Enable it. You can also first disable it and then enable it again.
4. Update Ethernet Driver
If you haven’t updated your Windows drivers in a long time, it can cause LAN not working trouble. You can try to update your old Ethernet driver to fix your internet connection.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand the Network Adapter option and identify the Ethernet card.
- Right-click on it and choose the Properties option.
- Under the Device Status window, it will show that your device is working properly.
- If the Ethernet controller shows a question mark or exclamation, you should update the driver from the vendor’s website.
5. Switch Back To Previous Drive
If you have recently updated your Ethernet driver and since then the Ethernet not working problem starts, you should switch back to the previous driver version. When your latest driver version doesn’t support Windows OS or Ethernet cable, it raises errors.
- Launch Device Manager, go to Network Adapters, and select the network adapter.
- Right-click on it and click on the Properties.
- Select the Driver tab and click on the Roll Back Driver.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install a previous driver version.
- If this option is unavailable, that means there’s no driver to roll back to.
6. Examine Connection Details
Sometimes wrong connection details can cause the Ethernet not working problem.
- Right-click on the Ethernet Connection and select the Properties.
- Once the Ethernet Properties window opens, double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 option.
- Now, you can enter the correct connection details.
- Mostly, enabling the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically is sufficient. But, in some situations, you have to manually input the details. To do so, you have to consult your router configuration manual.
7. Change Power Management Settings
Your system power management settings can raise the Ethernet port not working issue.
- Open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapter, right-click on the Ethernet device, and select Properties.
- Under the Ethernet Properties window, click on the Power Management tab.
- Now, uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
- Click on Apply and reboot your PC to save changes.
8. Reset Network
When Ethernet is connected, but no internet connection is showing on your device, you can reset network settings.
- Navigate to the Settings, click on the Network & Internet, and then Status.
- Look for the Network Reset option to reset your network components to default.
- Click on the Resent Now button and confirm it with Yes.
9. Switch Off Antivirus and VPN Software
If you are using VPN, firewall, or antivirus software to secure your network, try to turn them off. Sometimes the problem is with third-party tools that make your LAN not working.
- Launch Windows Firewall from the Start menu.
- Select the Turn Windows Firewall on and off.
- Click on the Disable button.
- Reconnect Ethernet to see results.
10. Use Internet Troubleshooter
A Windows 10 troubleshooter has solutions for everything. It can indeed fix Ethernet not working on your device too.
- Open the Start menu and type Settings.
- Move to Update & Security and click on the Troubleshooter.
- Launch the internet connection troubleshooter. Restart your computer and check the Ethernet connection now.
11. Miscellaneous Fixes
By now, you must have a working Ethernet connection. But, if luck isn’t on your side, try some miscellaneous fixes:
- Change Computer: If nothing fixes Ethernet not working on your PC, maybe the problem is related to the PC. Try to connect networks on a different computer and ensure if the problem is the same on it.
- Update Windows OS: If you have a Windows OS update available, do it. Updating software can fix many minor issues on Windows 10.
- Check Ethernet Cable: Check your Ethernet port physical connection to fix the problem. Ensure that the cable isn’t damaged or broken from anywhere.
- Replace Router: Home-based users can try to change the router to fix LAN not working issues.
Ethernet is working! If you follow our certified solutions, you will exclaim that with joy. For further queries, we are always open. So, comment, like, and share if you find our post useful.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]