How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10?
You are all set to start your new WFH day. But, when you fire up your computer, you realize that your Ethernet is not working.
OMG! Now what to do now?
Wait for a second, don’t go frantic yet as you can easily fix the Ethernet cable not working on your PC. Usually, Ethernet port not working issues occur due to a faulty driver or internal Windows settings. The reason could also vary, but nothing that can’t be fixed quickly.
Based on our team’s research and readers’ questions, we have created LAN not working quick fixes. Just try these methods and fix the Ethernet connected but no internet issue.
How to Fix Ethernet Not Working on Windows 10 — 11 Quick Fixes
Ethernet cable not working issues can cripple your internet connectivity in many ways. Common scenarios are:
- Ethernet connected but no internet connection
- Ethernet cable connection fluctuation
- Ethernet not detected, etc.
You can fix LAN not working on Windows with ease by using the following methods:
1. Check Connection
It is a very obvious solution that people sometimes forget to try. Make sure that the network connection is enabled and not causing Ethernet connected but no internet problem.
- Right-click on the Start button and choose the Network Connections option.
- If Ethernet is disabled, right-click over it and click on the Enable.
2. Disable and Enable Ethernet
If your Ethernet is enabled in the Network Connection Settings, but the internet isn’t working, you can try to disable and enable it. This old disable and enable trick can fix Ethernet ports not working in most cases.
- Press Windows and I keys together to open Settings.
- Click on the Network & Internet option from the Settings window.
- Select the Ethernet option from the left pane. Then, click on the Change Adapter option.
- At the Network Connection window, navigate for the Ethernet Connection. Right-click to disable it and then enable it.
3. Enable Ethernet Driver
In many cases, Ethernet drivers are disabled on PCs, causing Ethernet not to work. Go and simply enable it.
- Press Windows and X keys together. Click on the Device Manager option.
- On the Device Manager window, expand the Network Adapters option. Navigate for Ethernet driver and right-click and Enable it. You can also first disable it and then enable it again.
4. Update Ethernet Driver
If you haven’t updated your Windows drivers in a long time, it can cause LAN not working trouble. You can try to update your old Ethernet driver to fix your internet connection.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand the Network Adapter option and identify the Ethernet card.
- Right-click on it and choose the Properties option.
- Under the Device Status window, it will show that your device is working properly.
- If the Ethernet controller shows a question mark or exclamation, you should update the driver from the vendor’s website.
5. Switch Back To Previous Drive
If you have recently updated your Ethernet driver and since then the Ethernet not working problem starts, you should switch back to the previous driver version. When your latest driver version doesn’t support Windows OS or Ethernet cable, it raises errors.
- Launch Device Manager, go to Network Adapters, and select the network adapter.
- Right-click on it and click on the Properties.
- Select the Driver tab and click on the Roll Back Driver.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install a previous driver version.
- If this option is unavailable, that means there’s no driver to roll back to.
6. Examine Connection Details
Sometimes wrong connection details can cause the Ethernet not working problem.
- Right-click on the Ethernet Connection and select the Properties.
- Once the Ethernet Properties window opens, double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 option.
- Now, you can enter the correct connection details.
- Mostly, enabling the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically is sufficient. But, in some situations, you have to manually input the details. To do so, you have to consult your router configuration manual.
7. Change Power Management Settings
Your system power management settings can raise the Ethernet port not working issue.
- Open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapter, right-click on the Ethernet device, and select Properties.
- Under the Ethernet Properties window, click on the Power Management tab.
- Now, uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
- Click on Apply and reboot your PC to save changes.
8. Reset Network
When Ethernet is connected, but no internet connection is showing on your device, you can reset network settings.
- Navigate to the Settings, click on the Network & Internet, and then Status.
- Look for the Network Reset option to reset your network components to default.
- Click on the Resent Now button and confirm it with Yes.
9. Switch Off Antivirus and VPN Software
If you are using VPN, firewall, or antivirus software to secure your network, try to turn them off. Sometimes the problem is with third-party tools that make your LAN not working.
- Launch Windows Firewall from the Start menu.
- Select the Turn Windows Firewall on and off.
- Click on the Disable button.
- Reconnect Ethernet to see results.
10. Use Internet Troubleshooter
A Windows 10 troubleshooter has solutions for everything. It can indeed fix Ethernet not working on your device too.
- Open the Start menu and type Settings.
- Move to Update & Security and click on the Troubleshooter.
- Launch the internet connection troubleshooter. Restart your computer and check the Ethernet connection now.
11. Miscellaneous Fixes
By now, you must have a working Ethernet connection. But, if luck isn’t on your side, try some miscellaneous fixes:
- Change Computer: If nothing fixes Ethernet not working on your PC, maybe the problem is related to the PC. Try to connect networks on a different computer and ensure if the problem is the same on it.
- Update Windows OS: If you have a Windows OS update available, do it. Updating software can fix many minor issues on Windows 10.
- Check Ethernet Cable: Check your Ethernet port physical connection to fix the problem. Ensure that the cable isn’t damaged or broken from anywhere.
- Replace Router: Home-based users can try to change the router to fix LAN not working issues.
Ethernet is working! If you follow our certified solutions, you will exclaim that with joy. For further queries, we are always open. So, comment, like, and share if you find our post useful.
The train journey is a wholesome experience. Getting to know different places, meeting new people, lazy talks, speed rush, and so much more. Now, imagine what if you get all the train experience while sitting at your home? Cool, right? By playing train games on your iOS gadgets, you can ride, drive or perform stunts […]
The simulation gaming genre is hard to ignore in 2021. A game that can lift the barrier between real life and virtual life. These games can stimulate your senses and let you live your gaming fantasies. Simulator games are a perfect combination of fun and technology that you can’t afford to miss out on. Today, […]
Are you finally ready to optimize your website? Ready to create a user-friendly website that can dramatically increase your sales? Then, you must have already gone through all the amazing A/B testing tools available in the market. You know the UX A/B testing software market wasn’t that crowded a few years back. There were only […]
Are you running an online store? Then, dispatching items, tracking deliveries, taking returns, and managing stock must give you a terrible migraine. But, not anymore! With the best warehouse management software in 2021, you can efficiently manage all warehouse operations with ease. WMS software will reduce manual labor and improve customer services in no time. […]
Are you an architect, interior designer, or just a hobbyist? You need 3D architecture software to conceptualize your building or home design ideas. Plus, do you know how quick and accurate models you can create with 3D printing? If not, let us help you find the best architecture design software in 2021. With the right […]
Billing and invoicing is a hard business. Creating invoices, sending them, and following up on unpaid bills can take up a lot of time. On the top, recurring bills and invoices can definitely lose you money without even realizing it. Billing and invoicing software are the perfect alternatives to your old accounting system. Using billing […]
Accounting is a very broad spectrum revolving around numerous financial operations. Accounts payable management is one of the crucial accounting operations to maintain a proper cash flow system. AP teams processes, records, and ensure to pay vendors on time. The accounts payable software can fully automate manual data entry work. Additionally, AP software helps with […]
Whether you are a solopreneur or a corporate leader, undoubtedly, you need the best payroll management software to smoothly run your business. HR payroll software helps in saving time, efforts and keeping your staff happy. Plus, payroll software ensures that you meet all the tax compliance. If you haven’t yet selected the suitable payroll software […]
Health is Wealth — we all know that! Unfortunately, not many people still pay attention to their medication and take their prescribed pills on time. Often work schedules and home chores take all your attention that you don’t remember to take your medicines on time. If that always happens with you, technology has invented a […]
Now that your iPhone storage is almost full and the easiest way to free up some space is to move your large files from iPhone to your Mac. Videos occupy fair share of total storage space and it is wise to move these large files to your Mac so that you give your iOS device […]