How to Fix a Camera or Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 and Mac?
With the rise in remote work culture, video meetings and online presentations are ingrained in our lives. If your webcam is not working, you can’t properly communicate with your colleagues or family members.
The problem of “Window 10 camera not working” or “Mac camera not working” is still pretty common even after decades of camera technology invention. There are several reasons that can malfunction webcams, like incorrect OS settings, viruses, or disabled webcam options.
Luckily, fixing a webcam not working on both Windows 10 and Mac computers is simple. You can easily fix your webcams without technical assistance by following this guide. So, let’s fix your computer’s camera now!
5 Ways Fix Windows 10 Camera Not Working
When Windows 10 camera not working on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can fix it as:
1. Check Camera Button on your Device
A physical camera button is available on some laptops and portable devices to switch on and off the webcam. If the camera button is turned off, your device won’t recognize the camera, and you can’t use it. You need to make sure that the button is on before using the camera.
2. Update your Camera Driver
The webcam not working problem arises when your camera drivers are outdated. The simple way to fix this problem is to update your camera driver:
- Use the Start menu to open the Device Manager.
- Navigate to the Imaging Devices and look for your camera.
- Right-click on the camera and click on the Update Driver Software.
- Or, you can open your manufacturer’s website and automatically update the camera driver by following the installation instructions.
3. Provide a Permission to the App
Suppose your webcam was perfectly working with Skype until you switch to WhatsApp. This Windows 10 camera is not working issue may be due to camera access permission to the specific app. So, you should check camera access settings to clear your doubt.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Camera.
- Under the Allow access to the camera device on this device select Change, turn on Camera access for this device, and Allow apps to access your computer.
- To grant access to WhatsApp or other apps, scroll down to Choose which Microsoft Store app can access your camera and turn on the video conferencing app.
4. Analyze your Incompatible Camera Driver
If you are using an older camera that is not designed for Windows 10, your webcam will not work for you. To check incompatible camera driver, do follow these steps:
- Go to the Device Manager, navigate for your Camera or Imaging Devices tab.
- Right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab, select the Driver Details button and look for a file name. If your camera was designed before Windows 7, you have to replace your camera.
5. Uninstall your Camera Driver
When nothing fixes Windows 10 camera not working for you, on the last resort, you can uninstall your camera driver, and scan for hardware changes before that do take backup for your camera driver settings.
- Open the Device Manager, right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab and then Uninstall Device. Select the check box for Delete the driver software for this device, then select OK.
- Next, click on the Action menu from the Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes.
- You have to wait for the scan to complete and reinstall updated drivers on your PC.
5 Ways to Fix Mac Camera Not Working
On your powerful Mac devices, webcam not working is possible and can be fixed easily with:
1. Close Other Camera Apps
If you are using multiple camera apps on your Mac, switching from one app to another can cause the Mac camera not working issues. For instance, if you open the Zoom app without closing the FaceTime camera, your Zoom camera will not work. Therefore, close all other camera apps before using your camera.
- Press hold ⌘ Cmd + on the keyboard.
- Type Activity and select the Activity Monitor.
- Double click on all other apps using the camera and select Quit on the window that pops up.
2. Reset your System Management Controller
If you are facing a webcam not working issue along with some other issues on your Mac, resetting SMC is a good idea. The resetting method depends on your Mac type. The SMC on MacBook containing Apple T2 Security Chip is:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold the following keys for seven seconds — ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- While holding these keys, hold the power button for another seven seconds. If your Mac has turned on, it will turn off now.
- After a few minutes, turn on your Mac.
To reset SMC on all the Macs released in 2010 or later:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold together ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- Also, hold the power button for ten seconds.
- Power on your Mac.
3. Stop the VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant Processes
The VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant are two processes that perform webcam duties in the background on your Mac. If these processes stop working correctly, it can cause the Mac camera not working issue.
Mostly, when a process crashes, the system automatically restarts. Sometimes, the automatic restart won’t work, and you have to manually kill processes with a terminal command, either searching for it in Spotlight or going to Applications > Utilities. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
sudo killall VDCAssistant;sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
You need to enter your admin password and then try to use the webcam again. If you aren’t comfortable with terminal commands, you can also restart your Mac.
4. Check Screen Time Permissions
Screen Time is a core macOS feature that monitors your Mac’s usage. It is a macOS parental control handler, which includes restricting access to the webcam. If you have restricted webcam access, your Mac camera will not work.
To confirm the Screen Time restriction problem, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences > Screen Time > Content and Privacy and click on Camera.
- If the Camera is disabled under the Apps tab, you can authenticate or change the settings.
5. Evaluate the Camera Indicator Light
When your Mac camera is not working after all your attempts, you should closely observe the camera indicator light. If the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, you should immediately contact Apple support to get help.
5 Quick Tips to Fix Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 & Mac
Apart from the above-mentioned solutions, you can try common webcam not working on Windows 10 and Mac tips:
- Reinstall the camera app or try another software to use the camera feature.
- Update your operating systems from the settings on your Windows 10 and Mac devices.
- Look for any covering or physical damage to your webcam.
- Run an antivirus scan in your system because many viruses affect the webcams.
- As a last resort, you can reinstall your system settings if you are facing more than just camera troubles.
The Mac camera not working or Windows 10 camera not working is a common issue that you can easily fix using vivid methods. Our team already lays down the top fifteen webcam not working reasons, so quickly fix your webcam and start video calling smoothly.
The simulation gaming genre is hard to ignore in 2021. A game that can lift the barrier between real life and virtual life. These games can stimulate your senses and let you live your gaming fantasies. Simulator games are a perfect combination of fun and technology that you can’t afford to miss out on. Today, […]
Are you finally ready to optimize your website? Ready to create a user-friendly website that can dramatically increase your sales? Then, you must have already gone through all the amazing A/B testing tools available in the market. You know the UX A/B testing software market wasn’t that crowded a few years back. There were only […]
Are you running an online store? Then, dispatching items, tracking deliveries, taking returns, and managing stock must give you a terrible migraine. But, not anymore! With the best warehouse management software in 2021, you can efficiently manage all warehouse operations with ease. WMS software will reduce manual labor and improve customer services in no time. […]
Are you an architect, interior designer, or just a hobbyist? You need 3D architecture software to conceptualize your building or home design ideas. Plus, do you know how quick and accurate models you can create with 3D printing? If not, let us help you find the best architecture design software in 2021. With the right […]
Billing and invoicing is a hard business. Creating invoices, sending them, and following up on unpaid bills can take up a lot of time. On the top, recurring bills and invoices can definitely lose you money without even realizing it. Billing and invoicing software are the perfect alternatives to your old accounting system. Using billing […]
Accounting is a very broad spectrum revolving around numerous financial operations. Accounts payable management is one of the crucial accounting operations to maintain a proper cash flow system. AP teams processes, records, and ensure to pay vendors on time. The accounts payable software can fully automate manual data entry work. Additionally, AP software helps with […]
Whether you are a solopreneur or a corporate leader, undoubtedly, you need the best payroll management software to smoothly run your business. HR payroll software helps in saving time, efforts and keeping your staff happy. Plus, payroll software ensures that you meet all the tax compliance. If you haven’t yet selected the suitable payroll software […]
Health is Wealth — we all know that! Unfortunately, not many people still pay attention to their medication and take their prescribed pills on time. Often work schedules and home chores take all your attention that you don’t remember to take your medicines on time. If that always happens with you, technology has invented a […]
Now that your iPhone storage is almost full and the easiest way to free up some space is to move your large files from iPhone to your Mac. Videos occupy fair share of total storage space and it is wise to move these large files to your Mac so that you give your iOS device […]
Today, you can open Spotify or iTunes apps anytime on your phone and listen to unlimited music. But, if you want a full listing experience, your good old radio is the best option. For some witty talks, meaningful entertainment, and lighthearted programs, online radio stations are the right place. It doesn’t matter where you are […]