How to Fix a Camera or Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 and Mac?
With the rise in remote work culture, video meetings and online presentations are ingrained in our lives. If your webcam is not working, you can’t properly communicate with your colleagues or family members.
The problem of “Window 10 camera not working” or “Mac camera not working” is still pretty common even after decades of camera technology invention. There are several reasons that can malfunction webcams, like incorrect OS settings, viruses, or disabled webcam options.
Luckily, fixing a webcam not working on both Windows 10 and Mac computers is simple. You can easily fix your webcams without technical assistance by following this guide. So, let’s fix your computer’s camera now!
5 Ways Fix Windows 10 Camera Not Working
When Windows 10 camera not working on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can fix it as:
1. Check Camera Button on your Device
A physical camera button is available on some laptops and portable devices to switch on and off the webcam. If the camera button is turned off, your device won’t recognize the camera, and you can’t use it. You need to make sure that the button is on before using the camera.
2. Update your Camera Driver
The webcam not working problem arises when your camera drivers are outdated. The simple way to fix this problem is to update your camera driver:
- Use the Start menu to open the Device Manager.
- Navigate to the Imaging Devices and look for your camera.
- Right-click on the camera and click on the Update Driver Software.
- Or, you can open your manufacturer’s website and automatically update the camera driver by following the installation instructions.
3. Provide a Permission to the App
Suppose your webcam was perfectly working with Skype until you switch to WhatsApp. This Windows 10 camera is not working issue may be due to camera access permission to the specific app. So, you should check camera access settings to clear your doubt.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Camera.
- Under the Allow access to the camera device on this device select Change, turn on Camera access for this device, and Allow apps to access your computer.
- To grant access to WhatsApp or other apps, scroll down to Choose which Microsoft Store app can access your camera and turn on the video conferencing app.
4. Analyze your Incompatible Camera Driver
If you are using an older camera that is not designed for Windows 10, your webcam will not work for you. To check incompatible camera driver, do follow these steps:
- Go to the Device Manager, navigate for your Camera or Imaging Devices tab.
- Right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab, select the Driver Details button and look for a file name. If your camera was designed before Windows 7, you have to replace your camera.
5. Uninstall your Camera Driver
When nothing fixes Windows 10 camera not working for you, on the last resort, you can uninstall your camera driver, and scan for hardware changes before that do take backup for your camera driver settings.
- Open the Device Manager, right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab and then Uninstall Device. Select the check box for Delete the driver software for this device, then select OK.
- Next, click on the Action menu from the Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes.
- You have to wait for the scan to complete and reinstall updated drivers on your PC.
5 Ways to Fix Mac Camera Not Working
On your powerful Mac devices, webcam not working is possible and can be fixed easily with:
1. Close Other Camera Apps
If you are using multiple camera apps on your Mac, switching from one app to another can cause the Mac camera not working issues. For instance, if you open the Zoom app without closing the FaceTime camera, your Zoom camera will not work. Therefore, close all other camera apps before using your camera.
- Press hold ⌘ Cmd + on the keyboard.
- Type Activity and select the Activity Monitor.
- Double click on all other apps using the camera and select Quit on the window that pops up.
2. Reset your System Management Controller
If you are facing a webcam not working issue along with some other issues on your Mac, resetting SMC is a good idea. The resetting method depends on your Mac type. The SMC on MacBook containing Apple T2 Security Chip is:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold the following keys for seven seconds — ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- While holding these keys, hold the power button for another seven seconds. If your Mac has turned on, it will turn off now.
- After a few minutes, turn on your Mac.
To reset SMC on all the Macs released in 2010 or later:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold together ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- Also, hold the power button for ten seconds.
- Power on your Mac.
3. Stop the VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant Processes
The VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant are two processes that perform webcam duties in the background on your Mac. If these processes stop working correctly, it can cause the Mac camera not working issue.
Mostly, when a process crashes, the system automatically restarts. Sometimes, the automatic restart won’t work, and you have to manually kill processes with a terminal command, either searching for it in Spotlight or going to Applications > Utilities. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
sudo killall VDCAssistant;sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
You need to enter your admin password and then try to use the webcam again. If you aren’t comfortable with terminal commands, you can also restart your Mac.
4. Check Screen Time Permissions
Screen Time is a core macOS feature that monitors your Mac’s usage. It is a macOS parental control handler, which includes restricting access to the webcam. If you have restricted webcam access, your Mac camera will not work.
To confirm the Screen Time restriction problem, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences > Screen Time > Content and Privacy and click on Camera.
- If the Camera is disabled under the Apps tab, you can authenticate or change the settings.
5. Evaluate the Camera Indicator Light
When your Mac camera is not working after all your attempts, you should closely observe the camera indicator light. If the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, you should immediately contact Apple support to get help.
5 Quick Tips to Fix Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 & Mac
Apart from the above-mentioned solutions, you can try common webcam not working on Windows 10 and Mac tips:
- Reinstall the camera app or try another software to use the camera feature.
- Update your operating systems from the settings on your Windows 10 and Mac devices.
- Look for any covering or physical damage to your webcam.
- Run an antivirus scan in your system because many viruses affect the webcams.
- As a last resort, you can reinstall your system settings if you are facing more than just camera troubles.
The Mac camera not working or Windows 10 camera not working is a common issue that you can easily fix using vivid methods. Our team already lays down the top fifteen webcam not working reasons, so quickly fix your webcam and start video calling smoothly.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]