How to Fix a Camera or Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 and Mac?
With the rise in remote work culture, video meetings and online presentations are ingrained in our lives. If your webcam is not working, you can’t properly communicate with your colleagues or family members.
The problem of “Window 10 camera not working” or “Mac camera not working” is still pretty common even after decades of camera technology invention. There are several reasons that can malfunction webcams, like incorrect OS settings, viruses, or disabled webcam options.
Luckily, fixing a webcam not working on both Windows 10 and Mac computers is simple. You can easily fix your webcams without technical assistance by following this guide. So, let’s fix your computer’s camera now!
5 Ways Fix Windows 10 Camera Not Working
When Windows 10 camera not working on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can fix it as:
1. Check Camera Button on your Device
A physical camera button is available on some laptops and portable devices to switch on and off the webcam. If the camera button is turned off, your device won’t recognize the camera, and you can’t use it. You need to make sure that the button is on before using the camera.
2. Update your Camera Driver
The webcam not working problem arises when your camera drivers are outdated. The simple way to fix this problem is to update your camera driver:
- Use the Start menu to open the Device Manager.
- Navigate to the Imaging Devices and look for your camera.
- Right-click on the camera and click on the Update Driver Software.
- Or, you can open your manufacturer’s website and automatically update the camera driver by following the installation instructions.
3. Provide a Permission to the App
Suppose your webcam was perfectly working with Skype until you switch to WhatsApp. This Windows 10 camera is not working issue may be due to camera access permission to the specific app. So, you should check camera access settings to clear your doubt.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Camera.
- Under the Allow access to the camera device on this device select Change, turn on Camera access for this device, and Allow apps to access your computer.
- To grant access to WhatsApp or other apps, scroll down to Choose which Microsoft Store app can access your camera and turn on the video conferencing app.
4. Analyze your Incompatible Camera Driver
If you are using an older camera that is not designed for Windows 10, your webcam will not work for you. To check incompatible camera driver, do follow these steps:
- Go to the Device Manager, navigate for your Camera or Imaging Devices tab.
- Right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab, select the Driver Details button and look for a file name. If your camera was designed before Windows 7, you have to replace your camera.
5. Uninstall your Camera Driver
When nothing fixes Windows 10 camera not working for you, on the last resort, you can uninstall your camera driver, and scan for hardware changes before that do take backup for your camera driver settings.
- Open the Device Manager, right-click on your camera and select the Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab and then Uninstall Device. Select the check box for Delete the driver software for this device, then select OK.
- Next, click on the Action menu from the Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes.
- You have to wait for the scan to complete and reinstall updated drivers on your PC.
5 Ways to Fix Mac Camera Not Working
On your powerful Mac devices, webcam not working is possible and can be fixed easily with:
1. Close Other Camera Apps
If you are using multiple camera apps on your Mac, switching from one app to another can cause the Mac camera not working issues. For instance, if you open the Zoom app without closing the FaceTime camera, your Zoom camera will not work. Therefore, close all other camera apps before using your camera.
- Press hold ⌘ Cmd + on the keyboard.
- Type Activity and select the Activity Monitor.
- Double click on all other apps using the camera and select Quit on the window that pops up.
2. Reset your System Management Controller
If you are facing a webcam not working issue along with some other issues on your Mac, resetting SMC is a good idea. The resetting method depends on your Mac type. The SMC on MacBook containing Apple T2 Security Chip is:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold the following keys for seven seconds — ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- While holding these keys, hold the power button for another seven seconds. If your Mac has turned on, it will turn off now.
- After a few minutes, turn on your Mac.
To reset SMC on all the Macs released in 2010 or later:
- Power off your Mac.
- Hold together ⌘ Cmd + ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift.
- Also, hold the power button for ten seconds.
- Power on your Mac.
3. Stop the VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant Processes
The VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant are two processes that perform webcam duties in the background on your Mac. If these processes stop working correctly, it can cause the Mac camera not working issue.
Mostly, when a process crashes, the system automatically restarts. Sometimes, the automatic restart won’t work, and you have to manually kill processes with a terminal command, either searching for it in Spotlight or going to Applications > Utilities. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
sudo killall VDCAssistant;sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
You need to enter your admin password and then try to use the webcam again. If you aren’t comfortable with terminal commands, you can also restart your Mac.
4. Check Screen Time Permissions
Screen Time is a core macOS feature that monitors your Mac’s usage. It is a macOS parental control handler, which includes restricting access to the webcam. If you have restricted webcam access, your Mac camera will not work.
To confirm the Screen Time restriction problem, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences > Screen Time > Content and Privacy and click on Camera.
- If the Camera is disabled under the Apps tab, you can authenticate or change the settings.
5. Evaluate the Camera Indicator Light
When your Mac camera is not working after all your attempts, you should closely observe the camera indicator light. If the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, you should immediately contact Apple support to get help.
5 Quick Tips to Fix Webcam Not Working on Windows 10 & Mac
Apart from the above-mentioned solutions, you can try common webcam not working on Windows 10 and Mac tips:
- Reinstall the camera app or try another software to use the camera feature.
- Update your operating systems from the settings on your Windows 10 and Mac devices.
- Look for any covering or physical damage to your webcam.
- Run an antivirus scan in your system because many viruses affect the webcams.
- As a last resort, you can reinstall your system settings if you are facing more than just camera troubles.
The Mac camera not working or Windows 10 camera not working is a common issue that you can easily fix using vivid methods. Our team already lays down the top fifteen webcam not working reasons, so quickly fix your webcam and start video calling smoothly.
The use of computerized innovation in the medical services area has changed significantly all through the world. Consolidating software with healthcare services is so useful to the clinical area that it resembles joining two of the most impressive energies into one. As displayed during this frightful pandemic, ongoing enhancements in healthcare software can assist with […]
If you have just upgraded your macOS Monterey 12 to find your Mac is also lagging, getting stuck, or running slow, you have come to the right place. Here we will discuss quick troubleshooting tips to get your Mac back on track. Before we get into details, let us try to understand the root of […]
Data is essential for all; be it a home user or professional, all want to keep their data safe. However, due to unforeseen situations, primarily due to human error, we lose important data. This is when data recovery tools come to play. Using them, you can get deleted or missing files back. But with so […]
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]
Finally, iOS 15 is now available to download, and it has brought many surprises along. The biggest iOS 15 surprise is that now Apple users can FaceTime with non-Apple users. Yep, you no longer need to use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to make video calls. Instead, Apple has allowed people to join a FaceTime call […]
We all want to secure our remote access for daily needs & projects. But how to get it done is a big question. Using a VPN this problem can be easily solved as it creates an encrypted tunnel to secure network connection. Acronym for Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides IP addresses allowing users to navigate […]
Are you looking for the best lead generation software? Then don’t look for the tool that can boost your sales or customer base. In fact, search for the tool that can integrate your CRM software for better KPIs and analytics. Lead capture software can do a lot more than improving your sales or traffic. It […]
Be it product branding or marketing; labels play a significant role in selling a product. In fact, the label helps to distinguish your products from others. Therefore, the designing and printing of your product label need to be perfect. And for this, we will talk about the best 5 label designing and printing software in […]