How to Reinstall Windows 10 for a Fresh Start
When your Windows 10 won’t stop troubling you, it’s time to wipe out the hard drive and have a fresh start. You can quickly reinstall Windows 10 to eliminate apps, startup, shut down, and performance issues.
Additionally, if you are getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive, it’s good to have a clean start. Plus, the fresh install can improve battery life and eliminate all types of malware from your device.
In short, if you have tried everything to fix your computer and nothing worked, reinstalling Windows OS is your last resort. But, it isn’t an easy process.
However, in this guide, we will show you how to reinstall Windows 10 without losing your data in the way. Let’s start fresh.
Pre-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Before getting to the main how to reinstall Windows 10 process, you have to prepare your computer for it. For a smooth reinstall Windows 10, first do follow things:
Creating a backup of your entire system is very important before you reinstall Windows 10. That’s because the process can delete everything on your hard drive. Plus, anything could go wrong during the reinstallation process, and you need backup to restore your system when things go down the hill. You can backup the entire system in multiple ways, such as:
System Image Backup Tool — MiniTool ShadowMaker
The easiest way to create an entire system’s backup is to use the legacy System Image Backup tools. For this guide, we are using MiniTool ShadowMake. It is complete data protection and disaster recovery solution that lets you create bootable media to restore your system. This free backup software can help you as:
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker and select Local Backup to start.
- Under the Backup tab, system partitions are already chosen as the backup source. You just have to select the hard drive of the non-working PC as the destination storage path.
- Now, click on Backup Now, and within a few minutes, your entire system will be backed up.
Other Backup Mediums
You can also back up your files on numerous other mediums like external storage, cloud storage, etc.
Windows 10 Activation
Once Windows 10 OS is activated, you don’t have to use the product key on the same device. The system automatically reactivates the product key once connected to the internet. However, if you are setting up Windows 10 on a new device, you need the product key. Thus, we recommend you note down your product key before starting to reinstall Windows 10. To do so, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Update Vital Drivers
Windows 10 can automatically detect and install your device drivers. However, you should update essential drivers before the process on the safe side, such as network adapter, graphics card, etc.
Confirm Windows 10 Requirements
If you are already on Windows 10, reinstallation will automatically meet all the hardware requirements. But, if you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1, you have to ensure that the device meets the minimum requirements.
Even if you have already backed up all your apps, there are still a few things you should consider before reinstalling:
- Deregister any app that needs reactivation after you install Windows 10.
- Save progress in your games, so you don’t have to start fresh.
- Save web bookmarks, etc.
Main-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have created a backup, recorded product key, and updated essential drivers, you can reinstall Windows 10 in the following ways:
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Reset Option
Windows 10 has a feature called Reset This PC. Using this feature, you can keep your personal files or remove them to reinstall Windows 10. It is the simplest method that doesn’t require any additional downloads. The process is as:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Under Reset This PC section, click on the Get Started.
- Now, you have two options to select from — Keep my files and Remove everything.
- If you select the Keep my files option, you can reinstall Windows 10 without losing data. Once the process is prepared, click on the Next to go on.
- In Ready to reset this PC, click the Reset button and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool
Microsoft offers a Media Creation Tool that can upgrade Windows 10 by creating an installation media or using the ISO file. This process works like this:
- From Microsoft Store, download the Media Creation Tool.
- Open the tool and select the Create installation media for another PC. If your PC is already running on Windows 10, use the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Select the language, architecture, and editing.
- Check the ISO file option to create an installation ISO.
- If you need to install Windows 10 from the ISO file without a USB driver. You have to mount the ISO file:
- Locate the ISO file, right-click and select the Properties.
- Under the General tab, click on the Change > Windows Explorer to open this file > OK.
- Right-click this file and select Mount.
- Double-click the ISO file to view the included files, then click on the setup.exe to start Windows 10 setup.
- Once the setup is ready, you have to decide whether to download and install updates or not. Here, we suggest selecting the first option to install important fixes and drivers.
- It will take a few minutes to check all available updates for your system.
- Click on the Accept button.
- Once all is done, the Ready to install screen will appear on your screen, where you can click on the link Change what to keep.
- Now, you have three options to select from — Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings, Keep personal files only, and Nothing.
- Select your option, click Next, and the reinstallation process will start on your Windows 10. Just follow the on-screen instructions to customize your settings.
If you want to reinstall Windows 10 using a USB cable, follow this process:
- Connect a USB device (minimum 8 GB) or DVD to a working PC.
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create installation media for another PC and USB flash drive. You can directly burn the ISO files to the USB.
- Insert the USB to a non-working PC and change the boot order.
- Start a clean install by following the wizards.
Post-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have reinstalled Windows 10, you have a brand new system in your hands. To customize your computer, you have to reinstall apps, restore backed data and apply preferences. The post steps after reinstalling Windows 10 includes:
You have to log into your Microsoft account to restore your system settings and apps. First of all, you have to verify your account on the new device. Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Your account and click on the Verify link.
After restoring settings, you have to restore apps installed on your PC. Open Windows Store, click on your user photo, and click on the Library to access all the previously installed apps. Now, click on the download next to each app and restore all your favorite apps. Once done, click on your user photo again, click on the Downloads to update all the built-in apps.
Finally, you have to restore your files using File History. Attach your backup device to your PC, navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup. Click on the Add a drive to select your backup device, next click on More Options and Restore files from a current backup. Just click on the Settings cog and select Restore to recover your data and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
After reading this guide, you are fully ready to reinstall Windows 10 and have a fresh start. You can select any method to reinstall Windows 10 at your convenience. But, never forget to take a backup before reinstalling your system.
Further, if you have any questions related to ‘how to reinstall Windows 10’, you can reach us. Our team is always ready to help you!
Are you a hardcore reader? Then, you definitely want to use every minute of the day to unveil a new story. With audiobook apps, you can get that opportunity. Whether you are driving, walking, or working out in a gym, your audiobook app can supply unlimited stories to you. For our busy readers, the TC […]
Digital marketing utilizes the internet, cell phones, web-based media, web indexes, and various channels to reach out to their customers. Some advertising experts consider digital marketing to be a completely new venture that requires a different method of moving customers and better ways to see how customers move forward with traditional promotions. Relativity with Digital […]
Instagram marketing is how different brands mainly use Instagram to connect with their target audiences and market their products. This method has mainly gained popularity as an exciting method for brands to showcase their culture, engage with their customers, and show off their products in a new light. Steps to be used in creating the […]
Digital marketing, online marketing, internet advertising, whatever you call it, marketing your agency online is a big deal these days. Digital Marketing This is a very vast term. Marketing done using technology and digitization is digital marketing. This is a form of direct marketing that establishes a link between sellers and customers. This is done through different […]
Marketing can be defined as actively promoting the services and products a business has to offer to its customers. This is done by keeping in mind market supply and customer demand. Marketing is now not looked at as just a door to door to sales. It is much more than that. Marketing is now an […]
Nowadays, with so many activities to perform on the internet like streaming movies, downloading files, and working from home, having an internet plan with unlimited data has become crucial for almost every household. However, finding an internet provider that offers the best internet service along with unlimited data is not an easy task. Therefore, to […]
The train journey is a wholesome experience. Getting to know different places, meeting new people, lazy talks, speed rush, and so much more. Now, imagine what if you get all the train experience while sitting at your home? Cool, right? By playing train games on your iOS gadgets, you can ride, drive or perform stunts […]
The simulation gaming genre is hard to ignore in 2021. A game that can lift the barrier between real life and virtual life. These games can stimulate your senses and let you live your gaming fantasies. Simulator games are a perfect combination of fun and technology that you can’t afford to miss out on. Today, […]
Are you finally ready to optimize your website? Ready to create a user-friendly website that can dramatically increase your sales? Then, you must have already gone through all the amazing A/B testing tools available in the market. You know the UX A/B testing software market wasn’t that crowded a few years back. There were only […]
Are you running an online store? Then, dispatching items, tracking deliveries, taking returns, and managing stock must give you a terrible migraine. But, not anymore! With the best warehouse management software in 2021, you can efficiently manage all warehouse operations with ease. WMS software will reduce manual labor and improve customer services in no time. […]
Are you an architect, interior designer, or just a hobbyist? You need 3D architecture software to conceptualize your building or home design ideas. Plus, do you know how quick and accurate models you can create with 3D printing? If not, let us help you find the best architecture design software in 2021. With the right […]
Billing and invoicing is a hard business. Creating invoices, sending them, and following up on unpaid bills can take up a lot of time. On the top, recurring bills and invoices can definitely lose you money without even realizing it. Billing and invoicing software are the perfect alternatives to your old accounting system. Using billing […]
Accounting is a very broad spectrum revolving around numerous financial operations. Accounts payable management is one of the crucial accounting operations to maintain a proper cash flow system. AP teams processes, records, and ensure to pay vendors on time. The accounts payable software can fully automate manual data entry work. Additionally, AP software helps with […]
Whether you are a solopreneur or a corporate leader, undoubtedly, you need the best payroll management software to smoothly run your business. HR payroll software helps in saving time, efforts and keeping your staff happy. Plus, payroll software ensures that you meet all the tax compliance. If you haven’t yet selected the suitable payroll software […]
Health is Wealth — we all know that! Unfortunately, not many people still pay attention to their medication and take their prescribed pills on time. Often work schedules and home chores take all your attention that you don’t remember to take your medicines on time. If that always happens with you, technology has invented a […]