How to Reinstall Windows 10 for a Fresh Start
When your Windows 10 won’t stop troubling you, it’s time to wipe out the hard drive and have a fresh start. You can quickly reinstall Windows 10 to eliminate apps, startup, shut down, and performance issues.
Additionally, if you are getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive, it’s good to have a clean start. Plus, the fresh install can improve battery life and eliminate all types of malware from your device.
In short, if you have tried everything to fix your computer and nothing worked, reinstalling Windows OS is your last resort. But, it isn’t an easy process.
However, in this guide, we will show you how to reinstall Windows 10 without losing your data in the way. Let’s start fresh.
Pre-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Before getting to the main how to reinstall Windows 10 process, you have to prepare your computer for it. For a smooth reinstall Windows 10, first do follow things:
Creating a backup of your entire system is very important before you reinstall Windows 10. That’s because the process can delete everything on your hard drive. Plus, anything could go wrong during the reinstallation process, and you need backup to restore your system when things go down the hill. You can backup the entire system in multiple ways, such as:
System Image Backup Tool — MiniTool ShadowMaker
The easiest way to create an entire system’s backup is to use the legacy System Image Backup tools. For this guide, we are using MiniTool ShadowMake. It is complete data protection and disaster recovery solution that lets you create bootable media to restore your system. This free backup software can help you as:
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker and select Local Backup to start.
- Under the Backup tab, system partitions are already chosen as the backup source. You just have to select the hard drive of the non-working PC as the destination storage path.
- Now, click on Backup Now, and within a few minutes, your entire system will be backed up.
Other Backup Mediums
You can also back up your files on numerous other mediums like external storage, cloud storage, etc.
Windows 10 Activation
Once Windows 10 OS is activated, you don’t have to use the product key on the same device. The system automatically reactivates the product key once connected to the internet. However, if you are setting up Windows 10 on a new device, you need the product key. Thus, we recommend you note down your product key before starting to reinstall Windows 10. To do so, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Update Vital Drivers
Windows 10 can automatically detect and install your device drivers. However, you should update essential drivers before the process on the safe side, such as network adapter, graphics card, etc.
Confirm Windows 10 Requirements
If you are already on Windows 10, reinstallation will automatically meet all the hardware requirements. But, if you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1, you have to ensure that the device meets the minimum requirements.
Even if you have already backed up all your apps, there are still a few things you should consider before reinstalling:
- Deregister any app that needs reactivation after you install Windows 10.
- Save progress in your games, so you don’t have to start fresh.
- Save web bookmarks, etc.
Main-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have created a backup, recorded product key, and updated essential drivers, you can reinstall Windows 10 in the following ways:
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Reset Option
Windows 10 has a feature called Reset This PC. Using this feature, you can keep your personal files or remove them to reinstall Windows 10. It is the simplest method that doesn’t require any additional downloads. The process is as:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Under Reset This PC section, click on the Get Started.
- Now, you have two options to select from — Keep my files and Remove everything.
- If you select the Keep my files option, you can reinstall Windows 10 without losing data. Once the process is prepared, click on the Next to go on.
- In Ready to reset this PC, click the Reset button and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool
Microsoft offers a Media Creation Tool that can upgrade Windows 10 by creating an installation media or using the ISO file. This process works like this:
- From Microsoft Store, download the Media Creation Tool.
- Open the tool and select the Create installation media for another PC. If your PC is already running on Windows 10, use the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Select the language, architecture, and editing.
- Check the ISO file option to create an installation ISO.
- If you need to install Windows 10 from the ISO file without a USB driver. You have to mount the ISO file:
- Locate the ISO file, right-click and select the Properties.
- Under the General tab, click on the Change > Windows Explorer to open this file > OK.
- Right-click this file and select Mount.
- Double-click the ISO file to view the included files, then click on the setup.exe to start Windows 10 setup.
- Once the setup is ready, you have to decide whether to download and install updates or not. Here, we suggest selecting the first option to install important fixes and drivers.
- It will take a few minutes to check all available updates for your system.
- Click on the Accept button.
- Once all is done, the Ready to install screen will appear on your screen, where you can click on the link Change what to keep.
- Now, you have three options to select from — Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings, Keep personal files only, and Nothing.
- Select your option, click Next, and the reinstallation process will start on your Windows 10. Just follow the on-screen instructions to customize your settings.
If you want to reinstall Windows 10 using a USB cable, follow this process:
- Connect a USB device (minimum 8 GB) or DVD to a working PC.
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create installation media for another PC and USB flash drive. You can directly burn the ISO files to the USB.
- Insert the USB to a non-working PC and change the boot order.
- Start a clean install by following the wizards.
Post-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have reinstalled Windows 10, you have a brand new system in your hands. To customize your computer, you have to reinstall apps, restore backed data and apply preferences. The post steps after reinstalling Windows 10 includes:
You have to log into your Microsoft account to restore your system settings and apps. First of all, you have to verify your account on the new device. Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Your account and click on the Verify link.
After restoring settings, you have to restore apps installed on your PC. Open Windows Store, click on your user photo, and click on the Library to access all the previously installed apps. Now, click on the download next to each app and restore all your favorite apps. Once done, click on your user photo again, click on the Downloads to update all the built-in apps.
Finally, you have to restore your files using File History. Attach your backup device to your PC, navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup. Click on the Add a drive to select your backup device, next click on More Options and Restore files from a current backup. Just click on the Settings cog and select Restore to recover your data and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
After reading this guide, you are fully ready to reinstall Windows 10 and have a fresh start. You can select any method to reinstall Windows 10 at your convenience. But, never forget to take a backup before reinstalling your system.
Further, if you have any questions related to ‘how to reinstall Windows 10’, you can reach us. Our team is always ready to help you!
The Healthcare landscape has turned 360 degrees in the last few months. Physical doctor visits have turned into video calls, and medication orders are now being placed online. It won’t be wrong to say that pandemic has given a much-needed new push to healthcare digitization. In 2020, the global digital health market was valued at […]
iTunes is one of the most critical parts of the Apple family. It lets you download media files from the internet to your Mac and other Apple devices. Apple releases iTunes updates frequently so that users can build their personal playlists and movie libraries hassle-freely. To update iTunes on your Mac, you simply have to […]
Do you want to sell a product or services online? But don’t want to deal with the eCommerce shop setting up hassles? Then, better learn how to sell on Instagram in 2021. You see people, Instagram has over 1 billion active users globally, out of which 110 million users are only from the United States. […]
In simple words, data security is paramount because it wins the customer’s trust when they have to share their information with a business. Regardless of the company size, data is important for all kinds of firms out there. To avoid any unforeseen event from taking place, businesses have to invest in several data privacy principles […]
We are sure that finding this article is itself a sense of relief as your deleted photos have a great sentimental value and they must be recovered back using a good photo recovery software. Whether your photos have been deleted from a computer, memory card, hard drive, SD card or a digital camera, you can […]
What are these incredible apps? It has been known for some time that the human body can heal itself and rebalance the hundreds of energy systems it uses to maintain wellbeing through stimulation coming from the outside world. Many new forms of technology are able to measure this balance and the changes that can happen […]
The competition in the world of business is more demanding than ever before. Startups, for example, encounter some trouble establishing their presence in the industry of their choice. Also, it is challenging to please customers these days. When running a business, your ultimate goal is to make noise in the market, increase online visibility, and […]
In the previous years, the majority of the consumers and businesses used unsustainable materials as if there will be no tomorrow. They just think for the present day without realizing that these unsustainable materials will not have a bad effect to the environment. But nowadays, there’s now the so-called “environmental awareness” which many people documented […]
There are a lot of unique features usually related to successful business people, including passion, confidence, and commitment. However, in today’s frenetic digital time, even the best person needs some help running a company. And with lots of helpful, reliable, and efficient data-driven tools and solutions for business at your disposal, why would you shoulder […]
Data pipeline works by a series of actions or steps of processing data. The process involves the ingestion of data from different sources then moving them to a destination in step by step manner. In each step, the output is formulated and goes on until completed. How does it work? As its name suggests, it […]
Installing a good quality security system for your home will provide you with several safety benefits.Modern smart security systems come with advanced technological features to enhance the safety and security of your home. Here are some of the benefits of installing a smart security system in your home. Deters Criminals Criminals search for loopholes in […]
Bulky files are a great hindrance when you have to transfer or move them. Plus, they unnecessarily take up more room on your hard disk and slow down its performance. But you can easily tackle large files by knowing how to compress files on your Mac. The compressed file bearing .zip extension lets you store […]
Outsourcing software project is very common among multinational companies across the world. How can outsourcing project work provide advantages to a multinational company? The above question is very common among newbies interested in internet marketing. Let’s see here are some of the main features and benefits of outsourcing software projects. Improving the accuracy of project […]
If you have a Windows 10 computer with an internet connection, you need to invest in the best antimalware for PC — no questions asked. You need antivirus software to safeguard your system and data from infinite cyber threats such as malware, ransomware, and more. Thankfully, most of the new PCs come with pre-installed antimalware […]
Parenting in the social media era isn’t easy. You have to find a way to protect your kids from numerous online vulnerabilities. Especially if your kid is on Instagram, you have to shield him or her from cyberbullies, fake accounts, adult content, and more threats. Unfortunately, setting up Instagram parental controls isn’t easy because Instagram […]