Best Text Editors for Programmers
The best solutions are advanced text editors for programmers. They can use these to open the source code of files, remove formatting/font styles, or make code changes. Additionally, you can download and use Minitool ShadowMaker to sync or backup the open files/data for later editing work.
Text Editors for Programmers for Free
There are multiple software types available for Mac and Windows users that they can use for programming intensive and basic-level codes easily. We looked through multiple free text editors that are available in the market, testing their functionality, features, and usability. Here are the top 10 options that we found.
1. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is one of the available best text editors for programmers that is suitable for cross-platform code editing. It supports Python and C++ programming languages and allows the integration of different plugin extensions.
The application includes multiple types of standard and high-level editing tools for optimized text editing. The interface is simple to use and easily navigable. The syntax highlights properly for easier viewing during the editing processes. Plus, the text auto-completes for standard-level texts while making code changes, assuring faster performance.
Compatibility: Windows, Linux, Mac
- Both dark and light modes are available
- Advanced editing features like syntax highlighting/formatting
- Availability of more than 23 pre-set visual themes
- Wide range of screen modes for multi-panel editing
- Best for cross-platform coding
- Breakdown the screen into one window or multiple windows
- Auto-complete feature for faster editing
- The premium version with more advanced features is not available for free
- The free version shows some errors
Among the different types of best text editors for programmers, Bluefish is a notable mention. This robust text editor is suitable for web developers and programmers who work on various scripts, websites, and software code development. The tool is compatible with a wide group of programming/markup languages.
This multi-platform app works suitably well on diverse types of desktop OS options. Users can also run documents in different file formats and sizes on this platform for editing. Features like syntax formatting, code error detection, and spell checker make it a high-grade option for software experts.
Compatibility: Mac, FreeBSD, Windows, Solaris, OpenBSD, Linux
- Integration possible of external programs like link, make, weblink, javac, etc., for advanced code processing
- Unlimited number of redo/undo actions
- In-build spell checker that works inline
- Strong search/replace functions
- Clean and lightweight GUI editor
- Edit in full screen
- Auto-recovery of unsaved edits on files after sudden shutdown/crashes
- Slightly outdated interface
- Opening files can take some time
Notepad++ is one of the top free text editors for software development experts to edit source codes efficiently. This software is a more advanced and robust version of Notepad, with various editing/formatting features. Programmers can write code text in different types of coding languages on this text editor.
Besides the multi-language compatibility, Notepad++ supports multiple file formats, making it easier for users to handle multiple projects on one platform. It works with STL and Win32 API, which provides a high execution speed for the workflow.
- Auto-completion feature
- Add characters into files via the ASCII-based insertion panel
- Easy to add or remove comments
- Find/replace text in the file with some clicks
- A dark theme is available
- Focuses on CO2 emission reduction with their lightweight less-CPU-power-consuming system
- Real-time syntax checking is unavailable
- Auto-indention is not automatic after the colon input
Atom is one of the top free text editors available with diverse levels of features and specifications. You can access the integrated file manager to find and view whole projects, single files, or multiple projects simultaneously.
The multi-pane function allows users to break their projects into multiple windows on one platform. This makes it easier to compare the side-by-side codes and make the right changes. Additionally, it is very simple to search, preview, and even replace texts across multiple projects or in one file with one step. Multiple open-source packages are available with various features- use them to optimize your files/projects.
- Install pre-set packages or customize new ones on Atom
- Cross-platform editing possible
- Complete coding faster with the intuitive auto-completion feature
- Split the workflow table into several panes for better coding experience/comparison
- Easy customization features
- Pre-set UI themes are available
- Not available in multiple OS types
- Upgrades are still ongoing
Brackets is one of the best text editors for programmers due to its open-source nature. This is a modern and robust tool with multiple features that makes it simpler for front-end development and web design-related coding. Multiple extensions are compatible with this software that the users can easily integrate into their projects.
There is preprocessor support and miscellaneous visual tools available under Brackets. Using the latter, it is possible to blend these tools and handle creative web design programming suitably.
Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Real-time view of code files in the live preview
- Create inline editing fields and add codes
- Supports diverse preprocessors for better workflow
- Includes plugin extensions like Indent guides, Autoprefixer, File Icons, etc.
- It is an open-source software
- Best for front-end developers and web designers
- It is very lightweight and simple to use
- Sometimes difficult to manage multiple projects
- The startup period can take some time
6. Light Table
Light Table is another of the best text editors for programmers. They can use the diverse tools available under the software for customized code building and editing. Through the in-built community, programmers can easily find the necessary tools/frameworks due to the open-source structure of the software.
Plus, there is an integrated plugin manager, which is easily accessible. So, it is simple to find the necessary plugins and add them to the file. Additionally, users can embed diverse graphics, debug files, and manage files easily through Light Table.
Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Next-generation analytics feature for code value tracking
- Open-source with extensive community support
- Check codes and get inline results
- Clean and lightweight editor with powerful formatting tools
- Lightweight well-designed layout
- Quickly generate new codes and ideas
- Easy to find files and plugins through the in-built manager
- Not the easiest for new users to understand easily
- Complex layout
ConTEXT is one of the best text editors for programmers that is available in the market currently. The freeware solution guarantees smooth performance and fast coding work for the users with its small size. Due to its multi-lingual support, software developers in global regions can easily download and utilize this application.
- The small size of 1.57 MB assures fast performance
- Build-in library for easy file storage and search
- Pre-set help file for better documentation
- Robust syntax highlighting function
- Simple user interface
- Multiple languages are supported
- Fast performance
- Only available for Windows users
- Not open-source
VIM is a usable text editor available for free that the software development experts can use to make coding changes. It supports various programming languages, making it simpler for users to view and edit multiple source code versions.
This is one of the free text editors that are very easily configurable, and users can run different coding structures in this. The editor works stably and integrates suitably with diverse tools. You can use the software without difficulty for Apple OS X and several UNIX system types.
Compatibility: Mac, Linux/GNU
- Persistent undo tree available in multiple levels
- Powerful features for searching and code replacement
- Compatible with diverse file formats and programming languages
- Stable interface structure available
- Compatible with multiple tools
- Smooth performance
- Widescale plugin system available
- Not suitable for extreme beginners
- Relatively outdated interface
This is one of the free text editors with rich functionalities like autocomplete, syntax highlighting, and code refactoring, making it a top option in the market. The Komode IDE software supports Subversion, Mercurial, Perforce, Git, Bazaar, and CVS versions.
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
- Easier programming management with split windows
- Highlight variables and sort/group files easily
- Cold blocks and code folding is possible
- Conditional snippets are available for users
- The live preview feature is available
- Track the edits easily
- Code refactoring and key bindings are possible
- Does not operate well in the macOS Big Sur version
- Have to buy the paid version for bigger teams
Visual Studio Code is one of the best tools for text editing currently available. The open-source software supports a stable community that provides a host of feature-rich extensions. Users can add them to the file or text code during editing. The available plugin library is simple to access and browse through during the text editing process.
It is relatively new among the available options but includes many modern and intuitive features. For example, it supports blank operations, extra blank removal, EOL editing, and Trim trailing space removal.
Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Smart features like autocomplete, advanced upgrades, and syntax highlighting
- Integrated terminal available
- Add repetitive code patterns in snippets
- Debug the code directly from the editor
- Standard editing functions are available like multi-select, find/replace text, auto-save, etc.
- Use the TASK option to integrate external tools
- Refactoring options available like variable extraction method
- Debugging can be slow
- The interface for settings is not easily manageable
All these text editor options provide the key functions that are necessary for quick and efficient code writing and formatting. Out of the options available for the best free text editors, ConTEXT is useful for the availability of advanced features like syntax highlighting, and Sublime Text has a high-quality user interface.
Please go through all options carefully before choosing one that best covers all your requirements. Let us know your thoughts.
Introduction In Mac and even Windows computers, the Docker Desktop is a native app from Docker for various purposes, like launching, debugging, building, and testing containerized apps. A wide range of features are available within this app, made to simplify the setup and monitoring processes of the isolated environments where the projects are available. The […]
Introduction Game developers, over time, have made advancements in the digital video game software types they release. Yet, despite the improvements, bugs or glitches are imminent in any software after upgrades or game patches. This is primarily in the case of video games that utilize high RAM and graphics. For gaming experts, the glitches and […]
Introduction Cursors are necessary to perform different operations while using a desktop system. Hence, these are useful in performing different functions on your system. With so much to offer, do you know that it is possible to change the mouse cursor settings on Windows? So today, let us help you understand how to change the […]
Apple TV has now been around for over a decade, with each new generation building on the successes of the previous one. It’s become a popular choice for anyone looking for additional hardware for their TV that gives them unlimited access to their favourite content. Over time, more and more players have adapted to function […]
Introduction The different devices that sync with a network all have unique ID numbers assigned to them. So, the mobile devices, computers, tablets, and other tools people access and use, have an embedded Media Access Control or MAC address assigned to their physical network adapter (Bluetooth/WiFi/Ethernet). The benefit of this 12-digit hexadecimal number is simple- […]
Introduction signNow brings the power of cloud technology to the electronic signature. Launched in 2011, it is now a part of the airSlate Business Cloud software suite. We’ve conducted a detailed research and used signNow to bring an honest review of this effective tool. With the increase in business operations, the workload of documents management […]
Introduction Have you ever thought that which is the popular and universally-accepted document format used in day-to-day business interactions? Many will answer- Portable Document Format (PDF). Created in 1993 by Adobe, it facilitates electronic document exchange. Thanks to its graphic integrity, security, and convenience, a majority of professional communications are dominated by PDF. While PDF […]
Introduction While trying to access Windows 11, some issues can affect the System’s proper functioning. For example, the inability to activate Windows 11 without a key, like a valid digital license or activated key, is common in this context. The issue can be frustrating to handle, but it is possible to fix it. The error […]
Introduction For activating any advanced function on Android smartphones and tablets, handling USB debugging is an important procedure. This is a necessary process that allows the Android device to access and communicate with an Android SDK via USB. Multiple complex actions like rooting the device or flashing Factory image on Nexus devices are done in […]
Installing new programs on the Windows 10/11 system are easy when you have an ISO file. It is the disc image of all the installation files required for a single program. Windows operating system 8.1 and higher allows mounting this file and quickly installing the software. So, are you looking for the detailed steps to mount […]