How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10?
When you are in the middle of an important video call, and suddenly another person on the call can’t hear you, this might be due to your faulty microphone. The microphone not working on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware or software problems.
Therefore, you need to run multiple mics not working on Windows 10 troubleshoots to fix the actual problem. This post will share the easiest way to fix a microphone on Windows recommended by our experts. So, let’s fix your mic now.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
To fix the mic on your Windows devices, you can try the following methods:
Check your App Permission
If you have recently updated your Windows 10, you might have to give mic access permission to all your apps. When your apps don’t have access permission, the mic not working on Windows 10 problems might occur.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Select Change and then turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone.
- After giving access to the microphone, select apps from the Microsoft Store and choose which app can access the mic. For non-Microsoft Store apps, ensure to switch on the Allow desktop apps to access your microphone button.
Disable App Exclusive Control
When you speak in your mic, you see green bars rising, but nothing records; you might be using the wrong device. If you have multiple microphones or recording devices attached to your PC, this can cause the mic not working on Windows 10 for you.
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on the Hardware and Sound.
- Click on the Sound, and you can now see the allowed recording devices in the Recording tab.
- Now, right-click in an empty area in the list and check for Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select the microphone from the recording devices list and then click on the Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck options: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Update Audio Driver
Generally, your laptop’s manufacturer must have installed a suitable audio driver on your device. But, if you haven’t updated your audio driver in a long time, this can cause the microphone not working on your device 10.
- Click on the Start button and then open Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and right-click on the High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver.
- Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Choose the High Definition Audio Device and then click on Next.
- Confirm changes and restart your system to check if the microphone works now.
Check Basic Microphone Physical Settings
Sometimes your mic is not working on Windows 10 due to basic physical settings, such as:
- Your microphone or headset isn’t properly connected to your computer.
- The microphone isn’t positioned correctly.
- The headset has been muted.
- The volume of the microphone is low.
Check Hardware Compatibility with the Mic
If your microphone isn’t suitable for your system’s hardware, a microphone not working on Windows 10 will occur. Therefore, you should test your microphone with your system.
- Ensure your microphone is connected to your device.
- Click on Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- In Sound settings, open Input > Test your microphone. If the blue bar rises and falls when you speak into your microphone, it means your mic is compatible with your system.
Manually Connect Bluetooth Headset
The Bluetooth microphone automatically connects to your device, but sometimes they don’t. This mic not working on Windows 10 issue can be easily fixed by the manually connected mic.
- First, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and then right-click on the recording devices tab.
- Now, Disconnects your current microphone connection and again right-click and select Connect. This will fix all glitches in the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure Microphone Is Enabled in BIOS Settings
If you have a laptop with an integrated microphone, some laptop manufacturers let you disable this microphone in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI settings. This option isn’t present on all laptops, but it can disable your webcam.
You have to head over to your computer’s BIOS settings and re-enable the microphone. Simply enabling the microphone can fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 for you.
Uninstall your Microphone
Some microphones appear in the Devices and Printers list in your control panel. In that case, you can remove the device, unplug it and reconnect it, and your mic not working on Windows 10 will be resolved.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Next, type the Control Panel in the Run Window.
- Click on the View Devices and Printers to see your devices’ list.
- Right-click on your microphone dongle and click on the Remove device and confirm it.
- Now, you can disconnect your device and reconnect to see if it works.
Uninstall VOIP Apps
VOIP means Voice Over IP which basically is an audio or video chat. Sometimes when you prevent control of certain apps like Skype, Zoom, or WhatsApp, your microphone settings will automatically prevent it from working.
Simply review your VOIP apps and uninstall the problem-causing apps.
Update your Windows 10
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 lately, it might create numerous system glitches. Therefore, if you are facing multiple other problems, including the microphone not working on Windows 10, you should update your operating software.
In Windows 10, a built-in troubleshooter is available that can automatically fix audio-related problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Then, choose the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter, click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your microphone should be working after using all these solutions. But, if the microphone is not working on Windows 10 still, you can contact the Microsoft customer support team, or you might need to call your laptop repair company. Moreover, you can comment below, and our engineers will definitely try to help you.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]