How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10?
When you are in the middle of an important video call, and suddenly another person on the call can’t hear you, this might be due to your faulty microphone. The microphone not working on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware or software problems.
Therefore, you need to run multiple mics not working on Windows 10 troubleshoots to fix the actual problem. This post will share the easiest way to fix a microphone on Windows recommended by our experts. So, let’s fix your mic now.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
To fix the mic on your Windows devices, you can try the following methods:
Check your App Permission
If you have recently updated your Windows 10, you might have to give mic access permission to all your apps. When your apps don’t have access permission, the mic not working on Windows 10 problems might occur.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Select Change and then turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone.
- After giving access to the microphone, select apps from the Microsoft Store and choose which app can access the mic. For non-Microsoft Store apps, ensure to switch on the Allow desktop apps to access your microphone button.
Disable App Exclusive Control
When you speak in your mic, you see green bars rising, but nothing records; you might be using the wrong device. If you have multiple microphones or recording devices attached to your PC, this can cause the mic not working on Windows 10 for you.
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on the Hardware and Sound.
- Click on the Sound, and you can now see the allowed recording devices in the Recording tab.
- Now, right-click in an empty area in the list and check for Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select the microphone from the recording devices list and then click on the Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck options: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Update Audio Driver
Generally, your laptop’s manufacturer must have installed a suitable audio driver on your device. But, if you haven’t updated your audio driver in a long time, this can cause the microphone not working on your device 10.
- Click on the Start button and then open Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and right-click on the High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver.
- Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Choose the High Definition Audio Device and then click on Next.
- Confirm changes and restart your system to check if the microphone works now.
Check Basic Microphone Physical Settings
Sometimes your mic is not working on Windows 10 due to basic physical settings, such as:
- Your microphone or headset isn’t properly connected to your computer.
- The microphone isn’t positioned correctly.
- The headset has been muted.
- The volume of the microphone is low.
Check Hardware Compatibility with the Mic
If your microphone isn’t suitable for your system’s hardware, a microphone not working on Windows 10 will occur. Therefore, you should test your microphone with your system.
- Ensure your microphone is connected to your device.
- Click on Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- In Sound settings, open Input > Test your microphone. If the blue bar rises and falls when you speak into your microphone, it means your mic is compatible with your system.
Manually Connect Bluetooth Headset
The Bluetooth microphone automatically connects to your device, but sometimes they don’t. This mic not working on Windows 10 issue can be easily fixed by the manually connected mic.
- First, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and then right-click on the recording devices tab.
- Now, Disconnects your current microphone connection and again right-click and select Connect. This will fix all glitches in the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure Microphone Is Enabled in BIOS Settings
If you have a laptop with an integrated microphone, some laptop manufacturers let you disable this microphone in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI settings. This option isn’t present on all laptops, but it can disable your webcam.
You have to head over to your computer’s BIOS settings and re-enable the microphone. Simply enabling the microphone can fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 for you.
Uninstall your Microphone
Some microphones appear in the Devices and Printers list in your control panel. In that case, you can remove the device, unplug it and reconnect it, and your mic not working on Windows 10 will be resolved.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Next, type the Control Panel in the Run Window.
- Click on the View Devices and Printers to see your devices’ list.
- Right-click on your microphone dongle and click on the Remove device and confirm it.
- Now, you can disconnect your device and reconnect to see if it works.
Uninstall VOIP Apps
VOIP means Voice Over IP which basically is an audio or video chat. Sometimes when you prevent control of certain apps like Skype, Zoom, or WhatsApp, your microphone settings will automatically prevent it from working.
Simply review your VOIP apps and uninstall the problem-causing apps.
Update your Windows 10
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 lately, it might create numerous system glitches. Therefore, if you are facing multiple other problems, including the microphone not working on Windows 10, you should update your operating software.
In Windows 10, a built-in troubleshooter is available that can automatically fix audio-related problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Then, choose the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter, click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your microphone should be working after using all these solutions. But, if the microphone is not working on Windows 10 still, you can contact the Microsoft customer support team, or you might need to call your laptop repair company. Moreover, you can comment below, and our engineers will definitely try to help you.
The simulation gaming genre is hard to ignore in 2021. A game that can lift the barrier between real life and virtual life. These games can stimulate your senses and let you live your gaming fantasies. Simulator games are a perfect combination of fun and technology that you can’t afford to miss out on. Today, […]
Are you finally ready to optimize your website? Ready to create a user-friendly website that can dramatically increase your sales? Then, you must have already gone through all the amazing A/B testing tools available in the market. You know the UX A/B testing software market wasn’t that crowded a few years back. There were only […]
Are you running an online store? Then, dispatching items, tracking deliveries, taking returns, and managing stock must give you a terrible migraine. But, not anymore! With the best warehouse management software in 2021, you can efficiently manage all warehouse operations with ease. WMS software will reduce manual labor and improve customer services in no time. […]
Are you an architect, interior designer, or just a hobbyist? You need 3D architecture software to conceptualize your building or home design ideas. Plus, do you know how quick and accurate models you can create with 3D printing? If not, let us help you find the best architecture design software in 2021. With the right […]
Billing and invoicing is a hard business. Creating invoices, sending them, and following up on unpaid bills can take up a lot of time. On the top, recurring bills and invoices can definitely lose you money without even realizing it. Billing and invoicing software are the perfect alternatives to your old accounting system. Using billing […]
Accounting is a very broad spectrum revolving around numerous financial operations. Accounts payable management is one of the crucial accounting operations to maintain a proper cash flow system. AP teams processes, records, and ensure to pay vendors on time. The accounts payable software can fully automate manual data entry work. Additionally, AP software helps with […]
Whether you are a solopreneur or a corporate leader, undoubtedly, you need the best payroll management software to smoothly run your business. HR payroll software helps in saving time, efforts and keeping your staff happy. Plus, payroll software ensures that you meet all the tax compliance. If you haven’t yet selected the suitable payroll software […]
Health is Wealth — we all know that! Unfortunately, not many people still pay attention to their medication and take their prescribed pills on time. Often work schedules and home chores take all your attention that you don’t remember to take your medicines on time. If that always happens with you, technology has invented a […]
Now that your iPhone storage is almost full and the easiest way to free up some space is to move your large files from iPhone to your Mac. Videos occupy fair share of total storage space and it is wise to move these large files to your Mac so that you give your iOS device […]
Today, you can open Spotify or iTunes apps anytime on your phone and listen to unlimited music. But, if you want a full listing experience, your good old radio is the best option. For some witty talks, meaningful entertainment, and lighthearted programs, online radio stations are the right place. It doesn’t matter where you are […]