How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10?
When you are in the middle of an important video call, and suddenly another person on the call can’t hear you, this might be due to your faulty microphone. The microphone not working on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware or software problems.
Therefore, you need to run multiple mics not working on Windows 10 troubleshoots to fix the actual problem. This post will share the easiest way to fix a microphone on Windows recommended by our experts. So, let’s fix your mic now.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
To fix the mic on your Windows devices, you can try the following methods:
Check your App Permission
If you have recently updated your Windows 10, you might have to give mic access permission to all your apps. When your apps don’t have access permission, the mic not working on Windows 10 problems might occur.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Select Change and then turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone.
- After giving access to the microphone, select apps from the Microsoft Store and choose which app can access the mic. For non-Microsoft Store apps, ensure to switch on the Allow desktop apps to access your microphone button.
Disable App Exclusive Control
When you speak in your mic, you see green bars rising, but nothing records; you might be using the wrong device. If you have multiple microphones or recording devices attached to your PC, this can cause the mic not working on Windows 10 for you.
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on the Hardware and Sound.
- Click on the Sound, and you can now see the allowed recording devices in the Recording tab.
- Now, right-click in an empty area in the list and check for Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select the microphone from the recording devices list and then click on the Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck options: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Update Audio Driver
Generally, your laptop’s manufacturer must have installed a suitable audio driver on your device. But, if you haven’t updated your audio driver in a long time, this can cause the microphone not working on your device 10.
- Click on the Start button and then open Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and right-click on the High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver.
- Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Choose the High Definition Audio Device and then click on Next.
- Confirm changes and restart your system to check if the microphone works now.
Check Basic Microphone Physical Settings
Sometimes your mic is not working on Windows 10 due to basic physical settings, such as:
- Your microphone or headset isn’t properly connected to your computer.
- The microphone isn’t positioned correctly.
- The headset has been muted.
- The volume of the microphone is low.
Check Hardware Compatibility with the Mic
If your microphone isn’t suitable for your system’s hardware, a microphone not working on Windows 10 will occur. Therefore, you should test your microphone with your system.
- Ensure your microphone is connected to your device.
- Click on Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- In Sound settings, open Input > Test your microphone. If the blue bar rises and falls when you speak into your microphone, it means your mic is compatible with your system.
Manually Connect Bluetooth Headset
The Bluetooth microphone automatically connects to your device, but sometimes they don’t. This mic not working on Windows 10 issue can be easily fixed by the manually connected mic.
- First, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and then right-click on the recording devices tab.
- Now, Disconnects your current microphone connection and again right-click and select Connect. This will fix all glitches in the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure Microphone Is Enabled in BIOS Settings
If you have a laptop with an integrated microphone, some laptop manufacturers let you disable this microphone in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI settings. This option isn’t present on all laptops, but it can disable your webcam.
You have to head over to your computer’s BIOS settings and re-enable the microphone. Simply enabling the microphone can fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 for you.
Uninstall your Microphone
Some microphones appear in the Devices and Printers list in your control panel. In that case, you can remove the device, unplug it and reconnect it, and your mic not working on Windows 10 will be resolved.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Next, type the Control Panel in the Run Window.
- Click on the View Devices and Printers to see your devices’ list.
- Right-click on your microphone dongle and click on the Remove device and confirm it.
- Now, you can disconnect your device and reconnect to see if it works.
Uninstall VOIP Apps
VOIP means Voice Over IP which basically is an audio or video chat. Sometimes when you prevent control of certain apps like Skype, Zoom, or WhatsApp, your microphone settings will automatically prevent it from working.
Simply review your VOIP apps and uninstall the problem-causing apps.
Update your Windows 10
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 lately, it might create numerous system glitches. Therefore, if you are facing multiple other problems, including the microphone not working on Windows 10, you should update your operating software.
In Windows 10, a built-in troubleshooter is available that can automatically fix audio-related problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Then, choose the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter, click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your microphone should be working after using all these solutions. But, if the microphone is not working on Windows 10 still, you can contact the Microsoft customer support team, or you might need to call your laptop repair company. Moreover, you can comment below, and our engineers will definitely try to help you.
How to Protect Your Electronics From Power Outages
Introduction: Our heavy reliance on electronics has become increasingly profound. From smartphones and laptops to home entertainment systems and valuable appliances, these devices play an indispensable role in our daily lives. However, the vulnerability of these electronics to unexpected power outages can lead to costly damages and data loss. Whether you live in an area […]
10 Best Screen Sharing Apps for iOS and Android
Introduction: Screen sharing has become crucial for seamless interaction in today’s interconnected world. With remote work, project collaborations, and staying connected being our everyday essentials, screen-sharing apps have evolved to meet our on-the-go needs, aligning perfectly with our constant companions. Well, you guessed it right, our smartphones and tablets. In this blog post, we have […]
How to Format an External Storage Device in macOS
Introduction: Are you ready to supercharge your Mac’s capabilities by connecting an external hard drive? Well, before you can embark on this storage adventure, there’s an important task at hand: formatting your external hard drive to work seamlessly with your Mac. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you […]
How to Install and Use PuTTY for Mac
Introduction: In the realm of remote server management and secure network communication, PuTTY has earned a reputation as a reliable and versatile tool. Originally designed for Windows, PuTTY has expanded its reach to include other operating systems, including macOS, to cater to the needs of a wider user base. Hence, if you’re a Mac user […]
How to Fix Black Screen at Boot on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Whether as an individual or a professional, we are all strictly reliant on technology in some or the other way. And amidst this, encountering frustrating issues like a black screen at boot hits us like a roadblock. The black screen boot issue can affect both laptops and desktop computers running various versions of Windows. […]
How to Fix the “Network Discovery is Turned Off” Error on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Among many common Windows errors, the “network discovery is turned off” error is an annoying obstacle that disrupts your workflow. Whether you’re trying to share files, stream media, or access shared printers, encountering this error can be perplexing and disruptive. The good news is that understanding the causes and solutions for this error can […]
How to Use the New Bing With ChatGPT
Introduction: Gone are the days of sifting through endless search results. With Bing, powered with ChatGPT, you can now ask questions in plain language and receive instant, personalized answers tailored to your needs. It’s like having a conversation with a knowledgeable search assistant right at your fingertips. So, agree or not, you are definitely in […]
How to Use Split Screen on a Mac
Introduction: In today’s fast-paced digital world, maximizing productivity is the key. Period. And being able to juggle multiple tasks seamlessly is a skill worth mastering. If you’re a Mac user looking to boost your multitasking abilities, you’re in luck. Apple’s macOS offers a powerful feature known as Split Screen, which allows you to effortlessly divide […]
How to Disable the Lock Screen on Windows 11
Introduction: In the world of productivity, every single second counts. The last thing anyone wants is to be hindered by unnecessary obstacles while using their computer. One such obstacle is the lock screen that appears every time you wake up your Windows device. Though it may appear as a minor inconvenience, those valuable seconds spent […]
How to Find Your iPhone From an Android Device?
Introduction Mobile phones are the necessary daily gadget that functions the maximum amount of work for the user and help to communicate with people. It will be a disaster if you lose your iPhone anywhere on the street or office and have no idea how to recover it. Mostly you will panic and return to […]