How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10?
When you are in the middle of an important video call, and suddenly another person on the call can’t hear you, this might be due to your faulty microphone. The microphone not working on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware or software problems.
Therefore, you need to run multiple mics not working on Windows 10 troubleshoots to fix the actual problem. This post will share the easiest way to fix a microphone on Windows recommended by our experts. So, let’s fix your mic now.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
To fix the mic on your Windows devices, you can try the following methods:
Check your App Permission
If you have recently updated your Windows 10, you might have to give mic access permission to all your apps. When your apps don’t have access permission, the mic not working on Windows 10 problems might occur.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Select Change and then turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone.
- After giving access to the microphone, select apps from the Microsoft Store and choose which app can access the mic. For non-Microsoft Store apps, ensure to switch on the Allow desktop apps to access your microphone button.
Disable App Exclusive Control
When you speak in your mic, you see green bars rising, but nothing records; you might be using the wrong device. If you have multiple microphones or recording devices attached to your PC, this can cause the mic not working on Windows 10 for you.
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on the Hardware and Sound.
- Click on the Sound, and you can now see the allowed recording devices in the Recording tab.
- Now, right-click in an empty area in the list and check for Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select the microphone from the recording devices list and then click on the Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck options: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Update Audio Driver
Generally, your laptop’s manufacturer must have installed a suitable audio driver on your device. But, if you haven’t updated your audio driver in a long time, this can cause the microphone not working on your device 10.
- Click on the Start button and then open Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and right-click on the High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver.
- Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Choose the High Definition Audio Device and then click on Next.
- Confirm changes and restart your system to check if the microphone works now.
Check Basic Microphone Physical Settings
Sometimes your mic is not working on Windows 10 due to basic physical settings, such as:
- Your microphone or headset isn’t properly connected to your computer.
- The microphone isn’t positioned correctly.
- The headset has been muted.
- The volume of the microphone is low.
Check Hardware Compatibility with the Mic
If your microphone isn’t suitable for your system’s hardware, a microphone not working on Windows 10 will occur. Therefore, you should test your microphone with your system.
- Ensure your microphone is connected to your device.
- Click on Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- In Sound settings, open Input > Test your microphone. If the blue bar rises and falls when you speak into your microphone, it means your mic is compatible with your system.
Manually Connect Bluetooth Headset
The Bluetooth microphone automatically connects to your device, but sometimes they don’t. This mic not working on Windows 10 issue can be easily fixed by the manually connected mic.
- First, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and then right-click on the recording devices tab.
- Now, Disconnects your current microphone connection and again right-click and select Connect. This will fix all glitches in the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure Microphone Is Enabled in BIOS Settings
If you have a laptop with an integrated microphone, some laptop manufacturers let you disable this microphone in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI settings. This option isn’t present on all laptops, but it can disable your webcam.
You have to head over to your computer’s BIOS settings and re-enable the microphone. Simply enabling the microphone can fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 for you.
Uninstall your Microphone
Some microphones appear in the Devices and Printers list in your control panel. In that case, you can remove the device, unplug it and reconnect it, and your mic not working on Windows 10 will be resolved.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Next, type the Control Panel in the Run Window.
- Click on the View Devices and Printers to see your devices’ list.
- Right-click on your microphone dongle and click on the Remove device and confirm it.
- Now, you can disconnect your device and reconnect to see if it works.
Uninstall VOIP Apps
VOIP means Voice Over IP which basically is an audio or video chat. Sometimes when you prevent control of certain apps like Skype, Zoom, or WhatsApp, your microphone settings will automatically prevent it from working.
Simply review your VOIP apps and uninstall the problem-causing apps.
Update your Windows 10
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 lately, it might create numerous system glitches. Therefore, if you are facing multiple other problems, including the microphone not working on Windows 10, you should update your operating software.
In Windows 10, a built-in troubleshooter is available that can automatically fix audio-related problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Then, choose the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter, click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your microphone should be working after using all these solutions. But, if the microphone is not working on Windows 10 still, you can contact the Microsoft customer support team, or you might need to call your laptop repair company. Moreover, you can comment below, and our engineers will definitely try to help you.
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]
Finally, iOS 15 is now available to download, and it has brought many surprises along. The biggest iOS 15 surprise is that now Apple users can FaceTime with non-Apple users. Yep, you no longer need to use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to make video calls. Instead, Apple has allowed people to join a FaceTime call […]
We all want to secure our remote access for daily needs & projects. But how to get it done is a big question. Using a VPN this problem can be easily solved as it creates an encrypted tunnel to secure network connection. Acronym for Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides IP addresses allowing users to navigate […]
Are you looking for the best lead generation software? Then don’t look for the tool that can boost your sales or customer base. In fact, search for the tool that can integrate your CRM software for better KPIs and analytics. Lead capture software can do a lot more than improving your sales or traffic. It […]
Be it product branding or marketing; labels play a significant role in selling a product. In fact, the label helps to distinguish your products from others. Therefore, the designing and printing of your product label need to be perfect. And for this, we will talk about the best 5 label designing and printing software in […]
The following apps are tops. They have become popular with Android, so if you’re on the lookout for good and useful applications, it may be that you have a few of these apps already. There are many amazing apps for Android in the market but a few outshine the rest. Just about everyone finds these […]
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]