How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10?
When you are in the middle of an important video call, and suddenly another person on the call can’t hear you, this might be due to your faulty microphone. The microphone not working on Windows 10 can occur due to hardware or software problems.
Therefore, you need to run multiple mics not working on Windows 10 troubleshoots to fix the actual problem. This post will share the easiest way to fix a microphone on Windows recommended by our experts. So, let’s fix your mic now.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
To fix the mic on your Windows devices, you can try the following methods:
Check your App Permission
If you have recently updated your Windows 10, you might have to give mic access permission to all your apps. When your apps don’t have access permission, the mic not working on Windows 10 problems might occur.
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Select Change and then turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone.
- After giving access to the microphone, select apps from the Microsoft Store and choose which app can access the mic. For non-Microsoft Store apps, ensure to switch on the Allow desktop apps to access your microphone button.
Disable App Exclusive Control
When you speak in your mic, you see green bars rising, but nothing records; you might be using the wrong device. If you have multiple microphones or recording devices attached to your PC, this can cause the mic not working on Windows 10 for you.
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on the Hardware and Sound.
- Click on the Sound, and you can now see the allowed recording devices in the Recording tab.
- Now, right-click in an empty area in the list and check for Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select the microphone from the recording devices list and then click on the Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck options: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Update Audio Driver
Generally, your laptop’s manufacturer must have installed a suitable audio driver on your device. But, if you haven’t updated your audio driver in a long time, this can cause the microphone not working on your device 10.
- Click on the Start button and then open Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and right-click on the High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver.
- Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Choose the High Definition Audio Device and then click on Next.
- Confirm changes and restart your system to check if the microphone works now.
Check Basic Microphone Physical Settings
Sometimes your mic is not working on Windows 10 due to basic physical settings, such as:
- Your microphone or headset isn’t properly connected to your computer.
- The microphone isn’t positioned correctly.
- The headset has been muted.
- The volume of the microphone is low.
Check Hardware Compatibility with the Mic
If your microphone isn’t suitable for your system’s hardware, a microphone not working on Windows 10 will occur. Therefore, you should test your microphone with your system.
- Ensure your microphone is connected to your device.
- Click on Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- In Sound settings, open Input > Test your microphone. If the blue bar rises and falls when you speak into your microphone, it means your mic is compatible with your system.
Manually Connect Bluetooth Headset
The Bluetooth microphone automatically connects to your device, but sometimes they don’t. This mic not working on Windows 10 issue can be easily fixed by the manually connected mic.
- First, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and then right-click on the recording devices tab.
- Now, Disconnects your current microphone connection and again right-click and select Connect. This will fix all glitches in the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure Microphone Is Enabled in BIOS Settings
If you have a laptop with an integrated microphone, some laptop manufacturers let you disable this microphone in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI settings. This option isn’t present on all laptops, but it can disable your webcam.
You have to head over to your computer’s BIOS settings and re-enable the microphone. Simply enabling the microphone can fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 for you.
Uninstall your Microphone
Some microphones appear in the Devices and Printers list in your control panel. In that case, you can remove the device, unplug it and reconnect it, and your mic not working on Windows 10 will be resolved.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Next, type the Control Panel in the Run Window.
- Click on the View Devices and Printers to see your devices’ list.
- Right-click on your microphone dongle and click on the Remove device and confirm it.
- Now, you can disconnect your device and reconnect to see if it works.
Uninstall VOIP Apps
VOIP means Voice Over IP which basically is an audio or video chat. Sometimes when you prevent control of certain apps like Skype, Zoom, or WhatsApp, your microphone settings will automatically prevent it from working.
Simply review your VOIP apps and uninstall the problem-causing apps.
Update your Windows 10
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 lately, it might create numerous system glitches. Therefore, if you are facing multiple other problems, including the microphone not working on Windows 10, you should update your operating software.
In Windows 10, a built-in troubleshooter is available that can automatically fix audio-related problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Then, choose the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter, click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your microphone should be working after using all these solutions. But, if the microphone is not working on Windows 10 still, you can contact the Microsoft customer support team, or you might need to call your laptop repair company. Moreover, you can comment below, and our engineers will definitely try to help you.
Introduction: Cryptocurrencies have exploded in popularity in recent years. Driving mainstream adoption are crypto exchanges – online platforms that allow investors to easily buy, sell, and trade digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Crypto exchanges provide the critical infrastructure that allows individuals and institutions seamless entry into the crypto ecosystem. But how exactly do these […]
Introduction: The “Preparing automatic repair” loop is a common issue that affects Windows 10 and 11 users when the operating system fails to boot properly. This automatic repair process tries to diagnose and fix boot issues but often gets stuck repeatedly restarting and checking for problems, creating an endless loop. There are several potential causes […]
Table Of Contents: Introduction What is Disk Partitioning Why is disk partitioning needed? How to do disk partitioning? Best Disk Partition Software for Windows 11/10/8/7 in 2024 EaseUS Partition Master MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro Paragon Partition Manager AOMEI Partition Assistant Active@ Partition Manager Tenorshare Partition Manager GParted Cute Partition Manager Macrorit Partition Expert IM-Magic Partition […]
Introduction: Using a Mac password manager app is one of the best ways to stay secure online. A good password management app generates strong, unique passwords for all your accounts, remembers them for you, and helps you log in quickly and easily. When choosing a password manager for your Mac, you’ll want one that is […]
Introduction: Managing passwords is a major challenge in the digital era. With the proliferation of online accounts, we’re expected to create and remember many complex, unique passwords. This poses a significant burden on our memory. Fortunately, Android password managers offer a convenient solution. These applications store passwords securely, generate strong random passwords, and auto-fill login […]
Introduction: Having strong and unique passwords for all your online accounts is essential for good digital security and privacy. Reusing the same passwords on multiple sites is a risky practice as a breach on one site puts all your accounts at risk. This is where a dedicated password manager comes in very handy. These apps […]
Introduction: In today’s digital age, we have loads of accounts – like email, social media, online banking, and shopping sites. That means we’ve got tons of passwords to remember. It’s risky to use the same password for everything, but keeping track of unique ones for each account can be tough. A password manager proves invaluable […]
Introduction: A clean and optimized Android device performs better, lasts longer, and runs faster. With time, caches, residual files, and unneeded data can clutter up your Android smartphone or tablet and slow it down. That’s why having a quality cleaner app is essential. The Google Play Store has hundreds of Android cleaner and optimization apps […]
The mobile gaming industry has experienced exponential growth, with an increasing number of users turning to their Android devices for immersive gaming experiences. With this surge in mobile gaming, the demand for efficient and effective apps to boost Android gaming has also risen. Game optimizer apps are designed to optimize the performance of Android devices, […]