How to Update macOS Software
Apple releases Mac OS updates periodically. These updates help you keep your Mac more stable, secure, and it brings better performance. These updates not only help you update operating system, but it also includes updates for apps that are part of macOS such as Safari, iTunes, and more.
Once you receive notification for software update, you can pick the time to install the updates or simply select to be reminded the next day. You can also update Mac OS manually in the Software Update pane of System Preferences.
You can visit the App Store to find updates to software you’ve downloaded from the App Store.
Note: Before you click update button, you should free up disk storage on your Mac. To do this, you can use advanced Mac cleaner tool like Cleaner One Pro. This smart solution is designed to help you find & clean unnecessary files & applications to recover valuable disk space required for OS upgrade. The best part is Cleaner One Pro is all-in-one Mac disk cleaning software that helps you visualize, manage, and clean disk space in just one-click.
How to get updates for macOS Mojave or later
If you have already upgraded to macOS Mojave or later, you need to follow below mentioned steps to keep the OS up to date.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Software Update. Alternatively, select Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Software Update.
- Now to install all available updates, click the Update Now button. If you want to check details of each available update, you can click More info option. Here, you can choose specific updates to install.
- Once it completes updating software, you will find a message your Mac is up to date. It means the installed version of macOS and apps that are part of macOS are updated. These apps include iTunes, Safari, Messages, Books, Calendar, Mail, Photos, and FaceTime.
- To update software downloaded from the App Store such as iMovie, Pages, Keynote, Garageband, and other apps, you need to open App Store from Apple menu and select Updates tab.
Set Mac check for software updates automatically
You can set your Mac to install macOS updates automatically. Here, it will also update apps downloaded from the App Store separately. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences and select Software Update.
- Now choose Automatically keep my Mac up to date.
- Click Advanced button to set advanced update options. Here, you can select any of these options:
- Select Check for updates to let Mac automatically check for updates.
- Select Download new updates when available to let the Mac install updates without asking.
- Select Install macOS updates to allow Mac install all available macOS updates automatically.
- Select Install app updates from the App Store to allow Mac to download app updates from the App Store automatically.
- Select Install system data files and security updates to allow Mac automatically install system files and security updates.
- Click OK.
To get alal the available updates automatically, you should choose Check for updates, Install system data files and security updates, and Download new updates when available.
Note: If you have MacBook Air, MacBook, or MacBook Pro, then you should keep power adapter plugged in to download all available updates automatically.
How to get updates for earlier macOS versions
If you are using macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or earlier macOS versions, then follow below mentioned steps to get updates.
- Open the App Store.
- From App Store toolbar click Updates tab.
- Now you will find all available updates listed here. To download any of these updates, click Update button next to it.
- Now that App Store says no more updates are available, the installed version of macOS and all apps that are part of it are up to date. It includes iTunes, Safari, Mail, Messages, Calendar, FaceTime, and Photos. You can find later versions by upgrading your macOS.
If you want to download updates automatically in future, the select Apple menu > System Preferences and select App Store > Download newly available updates in the background. You will be notified when updates are ready to install.
So this was a quick discussion on how to update Mac OS in few easy steps. Follow these steps to update software on Mac for better security and performance. You can also expect more stable performance once you have updated Mac software. Do share your experience in the comments below.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]