How to Update macOS Software
Apple releases Mac OS updates periodically. These updates help you keep your Mac more stable, secure, and it brings better performance. These updates not only help you update operating system, but it also includes updates for apps that are part of macOS such as Safari, iTunes, and more.
Once you receive notification for software update, you can pick the time to install the updates or simply select to be reminded the next day. You can also update Mac OS manually in the Software Update pane of System Preferences.
You can visit the App Store to find updates to software you’ve downloaded from the App Store.
Note: Before you click update button, you should free up disk storage on your Mac. To do this, you can use advanced Mac cleaner tool like Cleaner One Pro. This smart solution is designed to help you find & clean unnecessary files & applications to recover valuable disk space required for OS upgrade. The best part is Cleaner One Pro is all-in-one Mac disk cleaning software that helps you visualize, manage, and clean disk space in just one-click.
How to get updates for macOS Mojave or later
If you have already upgraded to macOS Mojave or later, you need to follow below mentioned steps to keep the OS up to date.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Software Update. Alternatively, select Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Software Update.
- Now to install all available updates, click the Update Now button. If you want to check details of each available update, you can click More info option. Here, you can choose specific updates to install.
- Once it completes updating software, you will find a message your Mac is up to date. It means the installed version of macOS and apps that are part of macOS are updated. These apps include iTunes, Safari, Messages, Books, Calendar, Mail, Photos, and FaceTime.
- To update software downloaded from the App Store such as iMovie, Pages, Keynote, Garageband, and other apps, you need to open App Store from Apple menu and select Updates tab.
Set Mac check for software updates automatically
You can set your Mac to install macOS updates automatically. Here, it will also update apps downloaded from the App Store separately. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences and select Software Update.
- Now choose Automatically keep my Mac up to date.
- Click Advanced button to set advanced update options. Here, you can select any of these options:
- Select Check for updates to let Mac automatically check for updates.
- Select Download new updates when available to let the Mac install updates without asking.
- Select Install macOS updates to allow Mac install all available macOS updates automatically.
- Select Install app updates from the App Store to allow Mac to download app updates from the App Store automatically.
- Select Install system data files and security updates to allow Mac automatically install system files and security updates.
- Click OK.
To get alal the available updates automatically, you should choose Check for updates, Install system data files and security updates, and Download new updates when available.
Note: If you have MacBook Air, MacBook, or MacBook Pro, then you should keep power adapter plugged in to download all available updates automatically.
How to get updates for earlier macOS versions
If you are using macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or earlier macOS versions, then follow below mentioned steps to get updates.
- Open the App Store.
- From App Store toolbar click Updates tab.
- Now you will find all available updates listed here. To download any of these updates, click Update button next to it.
- Now that App Store says no more updates are available, the installed version of macOS and all apps that are part of it are up to date. It includes iTunes, Safari, Mail, Messages, Calendar, FaceTime, and Photos. You can find later versions by upgrading your macOS.
If you want to download updates automatically in future, the select Apple menu > System Preferences and select App Store > Download newly available updates in the background. You will be notified when updates are ready to install.
So this was a quick discussion on how to update Mac OS in few easy steps. Follow these steps to update software on Mac for better security and performance. You can also expect more stable performance once you have updated Mac software. Do share your experience in the comments below.
What is internet security? Internet security and network security refer to the same thing. However, internet security is slightly different from cybersecurity. In truth, it won’t be wrong to say that internet security is just but a segment of cybersecurity. It is prudent that you clearly understand the distinction between the two. By definition, […]
There are times when you’re listening to your favorite song. And when you hear the verse or chorus that you love the most, you wish you could set it as a ringtone for your iPhone. There are also times when you’re at a public place, and a phone starts to ring that sounds just similar […]
The expectations and excitement we see around artificial intelligence (AI) today are amazingly overwhelming. We’ll be talking to our computers soon. Is this so and how real is all this? As an industry student of technology, I can say that we are going through a rather interesting stage, when, on the one hand, the hype […]
Dr.Fone is a complete utility software hub. It has Data Recovery, System Repair, Screen Unlock, Phone Manager, and many other tools for iOS users. However, today, the TC team would like to share Dr.Fone – System Repair (iOS) tool review with our readers and disclose many new things about the program. So, let’s check out […]
The use of computerized innovation in the medical services area has changed significantly all through the world. Consolidating software with healthcare services is so useful to the clinical area that it resembles joining two of the most impressive energies into one. As displayed during this frightful pandemic, ongoing enhancements in healthcare software can assist with […]
If you have just upgraded your macOS Monterey 12 to find your Mac is also lagging, getting stuck, or running slow, you have come to the right place. Here we will discuss quick troubleshooting tips to get your Mac back on track. Before we get into details, let us try to understand the root of […]
Data is essential for all; be it a home user or professional, all want to keep their data safe. However, due to unforeseen situations, primarily due to human error, we lose important data. This is when data recovery tools come to play. Using them, you can get deleted or missing files back. But with so […]
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]