How to Restore Mac from Time Machine Backup
Data loss is real-time issue and could occur any time. It is possible that you have lost your data due to accidental deletion or your hard disk or SSD is erased or replaced. Situations like this cause real trouble as you no more have access to your important files and settings. The good news is you can restore Mac from Time Machine backup if you have created one. You can also restore local snapshot on your startup disk.
Follow these steps to transfer and restore all your files from your Time Machine backup to Mac.
How to restore Time Machine backup on Mac?
Now that you have Time Machine backup with you, next is to restore all your files and macOS from this backup. Here, you can select from restore all your files or restore both the macOS and all your files.
Restore all your files
Before you start restore process, you need to ensure that you have Time Machine backup disk connected to your Mac and it is turned on. Once done, turn on your Mac and follow these steps.
- In the Utilities folder of Applications folder, open Migration Assistant.
If your Mac has start up to a setup assistant, then you will find migration assistant included to the setup assistant.
If you wish to restore your operating system you were using when the backup was created or if your Mac doesn’t start up all the way, then you would need to restore both macOS and your files.
2. Now you need to select how you want to transfer your information. You need to select From a Mac, Time Machine Backup, or startup disk option. Once selected, click Continue button.
3. Next is to choose your Time Machine backup. Click Continue
4. It may ask you to select backup from list of backups organized by date and time, then you need to select one of these backups. Click Continue.
5. On the next screen, you need to select all the information that you want to transfer. Once selected, click Continue. You may find different screen on your system.
6. Now it will start transferring your data. It may take long if you a lot of data to transfer. Once transfer is completed, you need to restart your system. Now log in to the migrated account to check all the files from the backup.
Restore both macOS and your files
Before you start, make sure the Time Machine backup disk is connected to your Mac and is turned on. Follow below mentioned steps to restore Mac from Time Machine backup.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command – R keys to start up from macOS Recovery. As Apple logo or spinning globe is visible, release the keys.
- Once the macOS Utilities window is visible, select Restore from Time Machine Backup option.
3. Click Continue multiple times until you see an option Select a restore source. Here, you need to choose your Time Machine backup disk. Alternatively, you can select Macintosh HD (your startup disk), that might have a local snapshot to restore data.
4. Click Continue. You may need to enter the administrator password of Time Machine backup if your disk is encrypted. Click Continue again.
5. Select a backup, if available, and then click Continue.
6. Next is to choose a destination disk. Destination disk is storage device where contents of your backup will be stored. In case you have selected Local Snapshot, then you will not be asked to select a destination.
7. Click Restore or Continue
Note: It may ask you to enter the administrator password to unlock the disk if your Mac has FileVault enabled.
8. Once completed, restart your Mac.
So this was a detailed discussion on how to restore Time Machine backup. Do try these steps and share your experience in the comments below. You can also try to backup data on your Mac using best backup software or cloud-based services. The best backup software for Mac offers easiest & safest solution to backup your data on Mac.
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]
Correctly, get back deleted or lost pictures from the hard drive or SD card. To relive happy moments spent with family and friends we capture them, and nobody wants to lose these digital memories, right? Yet due to unforeseen situations like accidentally deleting pictures, hard drive failure, natural disaster, corrupt hard disk, and formatting the […]
Since the Internet has grown to be the main source for entertainment, socializing, news, information, and more, we hardly ever think about how it works. It is informative and helpful, however just like a physical playground, there’s scope for harm within the online world, particularly for children who may not be absolutely aware of the […]
Whether you wish to share your Macintosh with your kids, friends, or colleagues, it’s better to create a new user account to maintain your privacy. With separate Mac accounts, every person can have their own settings like application preferences, iCloud account details, and password-protect their personal data. Most importantly, the process of adding users to […]
The PDF formats have extremely important uses nowadays. One of the main reasons that pdf format is used is because it cannot be modified by others. They are easy to transfer and are commonly used in business, education, and health. We can convert a whole book and lengthy reports into pdfs. Sometimes the size of […]
Are you preparing for an IT certification course? If yes, you need to install Visual Certification Exam software in your system right away. Why? That’s because online IT course materials and certifications are available in VCE file format. So, if you have an exam coming up soon, you need a VCE suit to open the […]
Restore lost or deleted files from any storage media using Tenorshare 4DDiG. Losing important files, images, videos, or for that matter any data is no fun. It leaves us all anxious, frustrated, and stressed. What’s worse, when we don’t have a backup and the same file is urgently required. This creates panic and makes you […]