How to Restore Mac from Time Machine Backup
Data loss is real-time issue and could occur any time. It is possible that you have lost your data due to accidental deletion or your hard disk or SSD is erased or replaced. Situations like this cause real trouble as you no more have access to your important files and settings. The good news is you can restore Mac from Time Machine backup if you have created one. You can also restore local snapshot on your startup disk.
Follow these steps to transfer and restore all your files from your Time Machine backup to Mac.
How to restore Time Machine backup on Mac?
Now that you have Time Machine backup with you, next is to restore all your files and macOS from this backup. Here, you can select from restore all your files or restore both the macOS and all your files.
Restore all your files
Before you start restore process, you need to ensure that you have Time Machine backup disk connected to your Mac and it is turned on. Once done, turn on your Mac and follow these steps.
- In the Utilities folder of Applications folder, open Migration Assistant.
If your Mac has start up to a setup assistant, then you will find migration assistant included to the setup assistant.
If you wish to restore your operating system you were using when the backup was created or if your Mac doesn’t start up all the way, then you would need to restore both macOS and your files.
2. Now you need to select how you want to transfer your information. You need to select From a Mac, Time Machine Backup, or startup disk option. Once selected, click Continue button.
3. Next is to choose your Time Machine backup. Click Continue
4. It may ask you to select backup from list of backups organized by date and time, then you need to select one of these backups. Click Continue.
5. On the next screen, you need to select all the information that you want to transfer. Once selected, click Continue. You may find different screen on your system.
6. Now it will start transferring your data. It may take long if you a lot of data to transfer. Once transfer is completed, you need to restart your system. Now log in to the migrated account to check all the files from the backup.
Restore both macOS and your files
Before you start, make sure the Time Machine backup disk is connected to your Mac and is turned on. Follow below mentioned steps to restore Mac from Time Machine backup.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command – R keys to start up from macOS Recovery. As Apple logo or spinning globe is visible, release the keys.
- Once the macOS Utilities window is visible, select Restore from Time Machine Backup option.
3. Click Continue multiple times until you see an option Select a restore source. Here, you need to choose your Time Machine backup disk. Alternatively, you can select Macintosh HD (your startup disk), that might have a local snapshot to restore data.
4. Click Continue. You may need to enter the administrator password of Time Machine backup if your disk is encrypted. Click Continue again.
5. Select a backup, if available, and then click Continue.
6. Next is to choose a destination disk. Destination disk is storage device where contents of your backup will be stored. In case you have selected Local Snapshot, then you will not be asked to select a destination.
7. Click Restore or Continue
Note: It may ask you to enter the administrator password to unlock the disk if your Mac has FileVault enabled.
8. Once completed, restart your Mac.
So this was a detailed discussion on how to restore Time Machine backup. Do try these steps and share your experience in the comments below. You can also try to backup data on your Mac using best backup software or cloud-based services. The best backup software for Mac offers easiest & safest solution to backup your data on Mac.
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]
Finally, iOS 15 is now available to download, and it has brought many surprises along. The biggest iOS 15 surprise is that now Apple users can FaceTime with non-Apple users. Yep, you no longer need to use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to make video calls. Instead, Apple has allowed people to join a FaceTime call […]
We all want to secure our remote access for daily needs & projects. But how to get it done is a big question. Using a VPN this problem can be easily solved as it creates an encrypted tunnel to secure network connection. Acronym for Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides IP addresses allowing users to navigate […]
Are you looking for the best lead generation software? Then don’t look for the tool that can boost your sales or customer base. In fact, search for the tool that can integrate your CRM software for better KPIs and analytics. Lead capture software can do a lot more than improving your sales or traffic. It […]
Be it product branding or marketing; labels play a significant role in selling a product. In fact, the label helps to distinguish your products from others. Therefore, the designing and printing of your product label need to be perfect. And for this, we will talk about the best 5 label designing and printing software in […]
The following apps are tops. They have become popular with Android, so if you’re on the lookout for good and useful applications, it may be that you have a few of these apps already. There are many amazing apps for Android in the market but a few outshine the rest. Just about everyone finds these […]
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]