How to Create a New User on your Mac Easily
Whether you wish to share your Macintosh with your kids, friends, or colleagues, it’s better to create a new user account to maintain your privacy. With separate Mac accounts, every person can have their own settings like application preferences, iCloud account details, and password-protect their personal data.
Most importantly, the process of adding users to Mac is not at all difficult. Just follow this post and quickly learn how to create a new user on Mac devices.
First know different types of Mac User Accounts
Before we head over to add a new user on Mac, let’s first check out different user accounts that you can set up on macOS:
- Administrator account is the first account that every new Mac user has to set up. This is the main account that you are required to add other accounts on your Mac, install apps, change settings and perform all other functions. Though, you can add multiple administrator accounts on your Mac.
- Administrator accounts create standard Mac user accounts. These account holders can install apps and change system settings, but they can’t add a new user or change other users’ settings. You can create this kind of account for your employees.
- Managed with a parental controls account is exactly what its name tells. It is a perfect account for kids who can only access content approved by their parents/administrator on the Mac. You can restrict website access, time limits to use a computer,, and so much more in this account.
- Sharing only accounts are useful if you have a remote working team. These accounts let users access shared files remotely, but they can’t log in to your computer or change any settings. If you have to share files back and forth with your remote team, this option is a lot easier than purchasing cloud-sharing software membership.
- Group accounts offer the same privileges to multiple users. For instance, if you want your entire department to access client files stored on your Mac, you can create a group account and allow all your employees to receive the same permission to access your Mac. For large teams, it is a great sharing account option.
Once you know what type of user account you wish to create on your Mac computer, the next step is to understand how to add new users. Keep on scrolling down.
How to Create a New User on your Mac
- Start your Mac computer, click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen, and open System Preferences.
- Then, click open the Users & Groups to view a list of all the current users to the left.
- Press the lock icon to make changes and then enter the administrator name and password.
- Next, select the ‘+’ button located below the list of users.
- Here you have to select the type of account you would like to create (mentioned above).
- Next, you have to enter the user’s Full Name in the same window, which will be the default name for the user automatically. Next, enter a password, verify it and add a password hint.
- Tap on the Create User button.
- That’s it! Your new user’s name is added.
Before customizing the new user account, log out of your admin account and allow the new users to log in. From there, they can customize their apps, background, browsers, or anything else.
How to Create a New User on Mac Using Terminal Mac OS X Screen Sharing
Adding a new user through the built-in graphical interface is indeed the easiest option. But if you prefer to use a Terminal window, perhaps because you are troubleshooting a computer over a Sharing screen, the Terminal is the best option. To add a new user with Terminal, follow this method:
- Open a Terminal window, click on the ‘Go’ from the dropdown menu, and select Utilities.
- Next, double-click to open the ‘Terminal’ icon.
- Type “sudo dscl . -create /Users/username” and hit Enter. Replace the username with the name of a new user.
- Next, enter your administrator account’s password and press Enter.
- In the next line prompt, type “sudo dscl . -create /Users/username UserShell /bin/bash” and click “Enter.”
- Next, type “sudo dscl . -create /Users/username RealName “TechCommuters”” and hit Enter. You can replace the real name with any other name as per your wish.
- Up next, use “sudo dscl . -create /Users/username UniqueID 1001” command line and again press Enter. Remember one thing, the number after “UniqueID” has to be something that you haven’t assigned to another user.
- Next, type sudo dscl . -create /Users/username PrimaryGroupID 1000″ and press Enter.
- Now, you have to create a home folder for the new user with this command “sudo dscl . -create /Users/username NFSHomeDirectory /Local/Users/username”.
- To allow a new user to access Mac with a password, type “sudo dscl . -passwd /Users/username password”. Then, replace ‘password’ with the desired password that you want a new user to type to log in to the Mac.
- Finally, type “sudo dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership username” to provide privileges to the new user.
How to Delete a User Account on Mac
If a person no longer works with you or simply doesn’t want to share your system with a certain user, you can delete a user account on Mac. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Launch your Mac, click on the Apple icon > System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Click on the lock from the lower-left corner to make changes.
- Enter your administrator password and then, on the Unlock.
- Just click on the Remove user account button, and the user account will be deleted from your Mac system.
Here you go, peeps! Now, you know how to add users to your Mac with a graphic and terminal interface, along with an extra tip on how to delete a user account. So, you are all set to create a new Mac user account, but let us know in the comments if you require any further information.
And don’t forget to like and share this post with your friends.
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]
Due to recent events, the way people meet and greet has totally changed. Now, you no longer find dates or make friends in social gatherings or via mutual friends. Today, everything is virtual — from work to making new friends. Therefore, virtual dating and chat apps are getting highly popular these days. Among all the […]
Do you have a genuine reason to hack someone’s Instagram password? For instance, you want to keep an eye on your teen’s Instagram activities; your friend has forgotten his or her IG password or something else. Here if you have a legitimate reason to hack Instagram password, there are numerous legal Instagram password cracker tools […]
If you are wondering that augmented reality-based applications are still very far in the future, you are wrong. Today, AR-oriented websites and mobile applications are being developed rapidly; just look at the Apple 12 or EaseUS MobiMover websites to check mind-blowing AR effects. Additionally, users are nowadays looking for more realistic and personalized experiences from […]
Whether you want to follow the latest trends or wish to engage with your Instagram followers, IG Reels can help you with everything. But what if Instagram Reels are not working for you? Sounds scary! But it is possible. Despite Instagram being one of the most popular photos sharing platforms, it still faces numerous technical […]
Wireless earbuds are hot items these days, especially after Apple’s AirPods popularity. Now, to stimulate the wireless connectivity industry, xFyro has also introduced new ANC earbuds. The company claims to develop fully waterproof, 8-hour long battery life and superior HD sound quality powered with AI-technology earbuds. The product seems amazing from the company’s briefing, but […]
We’d like to welcome you to The Elder Scrolls Online’s Nightblade leveling guide! The build is intended to assist anyone who is upgrading a Nightblade in order to become a Magicka damage dealer. This isn’t a typical “leveling procedure,” but rather a structure that shows some of the most common constructions for this role. This […]
Apple TV is one of the finest streaming devices available, supporting SD, HD, and 4K resolutions. But why should you get it? Let’s find out! Apple just upgraded the Apple TV 4K, which means you can now view models from 2017 and 2021. But what is the difference and is it worthwhile to upgrade from […]
If one thing associated with Covid-19 outbreak that made life easier for people is evolution in video & digital platforms. Working and studying from home has seen a surge in demand for more quality videos. Recorded lectures, presentations, and other forms of video content are easily available now in HD quality, thanks to video editing […]
Subtitles have established a track record as significant parts of videos. In addition to several benefits, they keep viewers comprehensively immersed in videos. While subtitles pilot viewers who can grasp the audio of a video, captions are regrettably different. Regardless, subtitles dictate an all-around video experience for all audio-visual audiences. But how can you perform […]
Are you bad at managing finances? Do you often overspend your monthly budget? Then, no need to worry! As you can appoint a personal financial advisor to help you out. No, you don’t need to spend thousands on hiring a financial advisor. Simply open your smartphone and download the best personal finance apps on it. […]
Many Mac users encounter the problem of disk space shortage sooner or later. But, how exactly does space run low on Mac devices? Take a look at the visual representation of disk storage space on your Mac. You’ll see a bar with several differently colored sections notifying you what portion of memory is occupied by […]
Do you want to get more likes, comments, and reshares on your social media posts? Then, simply create memes! That’s because everyone loves to laugh and have a bit of fun on social media. Plus, people remember sarcastic and realistic posts better than promotional or serious posts. Additionally, you don’t need to hire a professional […]
Digital marketing, or the modern version of marketing, is much different from the traditional methods. Unlike the latter, the former saves both time and money. And in conjunction with modern tools such as VPNs, it transcends geographical boundaries and expectations to deliver the best results. For instance, you can reach out to your audience in […]