How to Check and Free Up iCloud Storage Space on Your Apple Devices
Apple introduced the iCloud facility back in 2011 and, since then, has been offering a 5 GB free iCloud storage space with every Apple ID. In a device where you want to store your work files, family photos, music tracks, and other digital content — 5 GB is a peanut space.
However, you can move to iCloud subscription storage space and get additional storage space, such as:
- 50 GB per month for $1
- 200 GB per month for $3
- 2 TB per month for $10
The iCloud subscription plans are cheap, but if you aren’t interested in getting paid storage, you can easily free up iCloud storage space on your devices. So, let’s figure out how to easily check and free up iCloud storage space.
How to Check Up iCloud Storage Space?
You can quickly check how much iCloud storage you have used and how much is unused. There are plenty of different ways to check iCloud storage metrics on your devices, including:
Check your iCloud Storage Space on iCloud.com
- Go to iCloud.com, open Account Settings, and navigate to the Storage section.
- Hover the pointer over a segment of the bar graph until numerical storage size appears.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- On iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, open the Settings icon and iCloud. The bar graph showing your storage usage will appear.
- Tap on Manage Storage to see a list of apps with the space used by them on iCloud.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on Mac
- Select Apple Menu and then System Preferences.
- On macOS 10.15 or higher, click on Apple ID and next iCloud. On macOS 10.14 or older, just click on iCloud. And a bar graph representing the entire storage usage will appear.
- You can view the apps’ list on the left panel, including features and how much iCloud storage they use.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on Windows
- Open the iCloud app for Windows on your PC. The storage usage bar graph will be there.
- You can click on the Storage for more details.
How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?
If you run out of iCloud storage, your data won’t backup to iCloud, and your photos and messages won’t stay up to date. And, you can’t send or receive emails on your iCloud account.
To avoid all these troubles, you have to free up iCloud storage space by removing unwanted content using:
Modifying iCloud Backup Settings
By default, your Apple device will automatically backup the most data over iCloud, including photos, videos, documents, and even apps. You can free up iCloud storage space by customizing backup settings based on the importance of the content.
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Tap on Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
- Click on the Name of your device.
- Under the Choose Data to Backup tab, turn off apps that you don’t want to backup.
- Confirm Turn Off & Delete an app, which will delete all the app data from iCloud.
- Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Backup.
- Select the unwanted app, click on Delete.
On Windows PC
- Open iCloud app > click on Storage.
- Select the Backup items and turn off backup and remove all backed-up items from iCloud.
Reduce iCloud Photos Content
iCloud Photos transfer your photos and videos using iCloud storage. So, if you delete duplicate or unwanted content from the Photos, you can free up chunks of iCloud space.
On iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac
- Open the Photos app, click on Photos at the bottom of your screen.
- You can select one or multiple photos and videos that you want to delete.
- Just tap on Delete (trash bin icon) and confirm it.
- From your web browser, sign in to your iCloud account.
- Open the Photos app.
- Select photos and videos and tap on the Delete.
Reduce Camera Roll Gallery Size
If you aren’t using iCloud Photos, your Camera Roll will be part of your iCloud backup. First, you should check how much space the Camera Roll uses on iCloud and then delete unnecessary photos and videos to realize some space.
Remove Old Files or Folders from iCloud Drive
When too many old files or folders are clogging your iCloud Drive, it will automatically consume a large space on iCloud. So, you should run the cleaning process on your iCloud Drive and free up space to store new files.
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Tap on the Files app and next on Browse.
- Under Locations, click on iCloud Drive and Select.
- Choose all the folders and files that you want to delete and click on the Delete.
- Move to Locations > Recently Deleted > Select.
- Choose files and tap on the Delete.
- Follow Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Turn on iCloud Drive.
- Open Finder and go to the iCloud Drive folder.
- You can move items to the trash or shift to a different location on your Mac.
- Go to Trash and right-click on the files that you want to delete, and click on Delete.
On Windows PC
- Open iCloud for Windows and sign in using your Apple ID.
- Go to the iCloud Drive folder.
- Select the folder that you want to delete and click on the Delete.
Delete Text Messages, Emails, and Voice Memos
When you use messages, email, and voice memos in iCloud, all your texts, emails, and voice notes will automatically backup on iCloud. And, you can easily free up a huge space on iCloud by getting rid of messages and attachments.
You can open a message, voice memo, or email app on your device and delete all the unnecessary messages and attachments.
iCloud storage is a very useful Apple feature that lets you securely create a backup of your vital content. Therefore, ensure to upload only the important information to iCloud so you can gain maximum value from free 5 GB space.
If you have any more questions regarding iCloud, you can write to us, and our experts will immediately assist you.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]