How to Check and Free Up iCloud Storage Space on Your Apple Devices
Apple introduced the iCloud facility back in 2011 and, since then, has been offering a 5 GB free iCloud storage space with every Apple ID. In a device where you want to store your work files, family photos, music tracks, and other digital content — 5 GB is a peanut space.
However, you can move to iCloud subscription storage space and get additional storage space, such as:
- 50 GB per month for $1
- 200 GB per month for $3
- 2 TB per month for $10
The iCloud subscription plans are cheap, but if you aren’t interested in getting paid storage, you can easily free up iCloud storage space on your devices. So, let’s figure out how to easily check and free up iCloud storage space.
How to Check Up iCloud Storage Space?
You can quickly check how much iCloud storage you have used and how much is unused. There are plenty of different ways to check iCloud storage metrics on your devices, including:
Check your iCloud Storage Space on iCloud.com
- Go to iCloud.com, open Account Settings, and navigate to the Storage section.
- Hover the pointer over a segment of the bar graph until numerical storage size appears.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- On iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, open the Settings icon and iCloud. The bar graph showing your storage usage will appear.
- Tap on Manage Storage to see a list of apps with the space used by them on iCloud.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on Mac
- Select Apple Menu and then System Preferences.
- On macOS 10.15 or higher, click on Apple ID and next iCloud. On macOS 10.14 or older, just click on iCloud. And a bar graph representing the entire storage usage will appear.
- You can view the apps’ list on the left panel, including features and how much iCloud storage they use.
Check your iCloud Storage Space on Windows
- Open the iCloud app for Windows on your PC. The storage usage bar graph will be there.
- You can click on the Storage for more details.
How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?
If you run out of iCloud storage, your data won’t backup to iCloud, and your photos and messages won’t stay up to date. And, you can’t send or receive emails on your iCloud account.
To avoid all these troubles, you have to free up iCloud storage space by removing unwanted content using:
Modifying iCloud Backup Settings
By default, your Apple device will automatically backup the most data over iCloud, including photos, videos, documents, and even apps. You can free up iCloud storage space by customizing backup settings based on the importance of the content.
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Tap on Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
- Click on the Name of your device.
- Under the Choose Data to Backup tab, turn off apps that you don’t want to backup.
- Confirm Turn Off & Delete an app, which will delete all the app data from iCloud.
- Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Backup.
- Select the unwanted app, click on Delete.
On Windows PC
- Open iCloud app > click on Storage.
- Select the Backup items and turn off backup and remove all backed-up items from iCloud.
Reduce iCloud Photos Content
iCloud Photos transfer your photos and videos using iCloud storage. So, if you delete duplicate or unwanted content from the Photos, you can free up chunks of iCloud space.
On iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac
- Open the Photos app, click on Photos at the bottom of your screen.
- You can select one or multiple photos and videos that you want to delete.
- Just tap on Delete (trash bin icon) and confirm it.
- From your web browser, sign in to your iCloud account.
- Open the Photos app.
- Select photos and videos and tap on the Delete.
Reduce Camera Roll Gallery Size
If you aren’t using iCloud Photos, your Camera Roll will be part of your iCloud backup. First, you should check how much space the Camera Roll uses on iCloud and then delete unnecessary photos and videos to realize some space.
Remove Old Files or Folders from iCloud Drive
When too many old files or folders are clogging your iCloud Drive, it will automatically consume a large space on iCloud. So, you should run the cleaning process on your iCloud Drive and free up space to store new files.
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Tap on the Files app and next on Browse.
- Under Locations, click on iCloud Drive and Select.
- Choose all the folders and files that you want to delete and click on the Delete.
- Move to Locations > Recently Deleted > Select.
- Choose files and tap on the Delete.
- Follow Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Turn on iCloud Drive.
- Open Finder and go to the iCloud Drive folder.
- You can move items to the trash or shift to a different location on your Mac.
- Go to Trash and right-click on the files that you want to delete, and click on Delete.
On Windows PC
- Open iCloud for Windows and sign in using your Apple ID.
- Go to the iCloud Drive folder.
- Select the folder that you want to delete and click on the Delete.
Delete Text Messages, Emails, and Voice Memos
When you use messages, email, and voice memos in iCloud, all your texts, emails, and voice notes will automatically backup on iCloud. And, you can easily free up a huge space on iCloud by getting rid of messages and attachments.
You can open a message, voice memo, or email app on your device and delete all the unnecessary messages and attachments.
iCloud storage is a very useful Apple feature that lets you securely create a backup of your vital content. Therefore, ensure to upload only the important information to iCloud so you can gain maximum value from free 5 GB space.
If you have any more questions regarding iCloud, you can write to us, and our experts will immediately assist you.
The use of computerized innovation in the medical services area has changed significantly all through the world. Consolidating software with healthcare services is so useful to the clinical area that it resembles joining two of the most impressive energies into one. As displayed during this frightful pandemic, ongoing enhancements in healthcare software can assist with […]
If you have just upgraded your macOS Monterey 12 to find your Mac is also lagging, getting stuck, or running slow, you have come to the right place. Here we will discuss quick troubleshooting tips to get your Mac back on track. Before we get into details, let us try to understand the root of […]
Data is essential for all; be it a home user or professional, all want to keep their data safe. However, due to unforeseen situations, primarily due to human error, we lose important data. This is when data recovery tools come to play. Using them, you can get deleted or missing files back. But with so […]
Is Bluetooth on Windows 11 giving issues? You have come to the right place. In this post, we will discuss how to fix Windows 11 Bluetooth not working. Generally, the Bluetooth problems are caused due to some software issues, but they can also be related to hardware malfunctioning. Therefore, before we get into details, let […]
Are you facing connectivity issues? Follow these instructions to reset network settings on your Windows 11 and fix the connectivity problems. The network settings on the PC manages internet connectivity. However, in some cases, due to outdated network adapters and incompatible configuration issues like slow connection and dropped connection, no wireless connectivity occurs. If you […]
As the cybersecurity needs of users are growing, Bitdefender has come up with comprehensive Internet security software that is designed to keep you safe 24/7. Bitdefender Internet Security is a one-stop solution for all your security needs. We’ve got a chance to test this powerful tool and to check its compatibility with other security solutions […]
Is Microsoft’s digital assistant bothering you? Do you want to uninstall it? You’ve come to the right place; here, we will explain removing Cortana on Windows 11. Although Microsoft doesn’t give a straightforward way to uninstall it, there are still ways. Why Uninstall Cortana? It is not like Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant; Cortana takes too […]
Technology is advancing at an alarming rate, with most people jumping onto the new trend without fully understanding what these advancements entail or the consequences. It is also a widely known fact that many people do not read the terms and conditions of the new apps. So, the following seven apps will help you keep […]
Most students find it hard to write a comprehensive academic essay within the given timeframe. It becomes quite challenging and equally stressful to complete the assigned task, especially when the deadline is near. However, there are certainapps for writing essaysthat will help you deliver top-quality assignments. Best Essay Writing Apps to Improve Writing Skills There […]
Today’s security professionals have become familiar with the idea that every organization has an attack surface that describes its global exposure to threats against internal and cloud applications, devices, users, and data. The attack surface grows as greater connectivity, cloud applications and myriad new types of device are adopted as an organization expands its digital […]
Worldwide, more and more people are doing what they can to protect themselves and their data. Considering we live in a world that is so connected, with everything from work to our social lives and entertainment happening online, protection is a must. Staying safe online isn’t as difficult as you think either; it just requires […]
Finally, iOS 15 is now available to download, and it has brought many surprises along. The biggest iOS 15 surprise is that now Apple users can FaceTime with non-Apple users. Yep, you no longer need to use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to make video calls. Instead, Apple has allowed people to join a FaceTime call […]
We all want to secure our remote access for daily needs & projects. But how to get it done is a big question. Using a VPN this problem can be easily solved as it creates an encrypted tunnel to secure network connection. Acronym for Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides IP addresses allowing users to navigate […]
Are you looking for the best lead generation software? Then don’t look for the tool that can boost your sales or customer base. In fact, search for the tool that can integrate your CRM software for better KPIs and analytics. Lead capture software can do a lot more than improving your sales or traffic. It […]
Be it product branding or marketing; labels play a significant role in selling a product. In fact, the label helps to distinguish your products from others. Therefore, the designing and printing of your product label need to be perfect. And for this, we will talk about the best 5 label designing and printing software in […]