What is Ransomware? How It Works and How to Remove It?
Ever since the computer is introduced to us, the way everything around us operates has been completely changed. For most of the part, it has been extremely good, but it also has brought some unwanted and unpleasant scenarios as well. While computers are being used for pretty much every purpose, we now have millions of computers all around the world. Well, there’s a darker side to this phenomenon, which is the aspect of cyber attacks. Even though digital threats are nothing new to us, but recently they’ve been growing stronger with exponential pace. The latest threat that shook the digital world is ransomware, especially popularized by the ‘wannacry’ attack. Thousands of people have become victim to this ransomware attack. To know what is ransomware and other related information, keep on reading.
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of malicious software, which is also shortly known as malware. It attacks vulnerable computers and gets access to all the files in the devices. After achieving access, it then encrypts those files and demands money as ransom from the device owner. Unless the person pays the ransom amount, the computer will stay in locked mode, making it impossible to access your data. Let’s have a look at some of the popular ransomware types:
- Scareware: Well, you don’t really have to be scared just because it has the term ‘scare’ in its name. Basically, it’s a fake program that claims itself to be a genuine security program. It then offers you assistance in fixing various types of system issues. If you accept the offer you’ll be asked to pay subscription fee. If you still proceed with that, you will just lose money and nothing gets fixed. To be precise, it’s just a scamming method. This type of ransomware is deployed through pop-up, which if you ignore, you’ll be just fine.
- Doxware: Now, we move to the next level of ransomware threats, which is Doxware, alternatively known as leakware. If your device is infected with this type of malicious software, you’re almost doomed. As we all store confidential and personal files on our devices, doxware, after attacking your computer, threatens to leak your information unless you pay ransom money.
- Encrypting Ransomware: This is the most lethal form you can get from ransomware. Many famous cyber attacks come under this category, as they’ve bamboozled a lot of people around the world. Basically, hackers use this attack method to get hold of a device and then to encrypt it completely. Unless you pay the demanded amount of money as ransom, you can’t get access to your device and files in it. It is as dangerous as it gets if you’ve fallen victim to this category.
How does Ransomware work?
As discussed above, a ransomware program attacks your computer and then encrypts the data in it. You can get access to your files only if you pay the ransom money. So, to understand the process of how it works in a better way, let’s have a look at some of the key steps involved in the attack:
- Generally, it all starts with the deployment of the malware into your device, either through an e-mail, pop-up, or any other source.
- When the user clicks on the source, which is disguised as an important item, a redirection to a new landing page takes place.
- Once the website redirection happens, the server hosting the ransomware begins communicating with your device.
- As soon as a vulnerability is found in the victims’ computer, the malware file download begins.
- The final step involves the encryption of the victim’s files and information, after which a message appears with payment details.
How to remove Ransomware from your device?
Ransomware not only attacks corporate computers, but also targets commoners like you and me. Once attacked, it’s very difficult to get rid of it. As they say, prevention is better than cure. If you want to be safe and secure, you must follow several precautionary measures. Here are a few things that you should do:
- Never click on random links and suspicious emails.
- Try to download any type of files from only official websites.
- Don’t use pirated websites and services to download files.
If you’ve been attacked by ransomware, you should install anti-ransomware software to get rid of the malicious program. But, there’s no 100% guarantee that a security program will help you in such instances. It’s better to use a security software beforehand, so that it will prevent any type of attacks taking place.
Now, you must be aware of what is ransomware and how it works. As you’ve also learnt how to prevent and remove it, now it’s time for you to take precautionary measure to stay safe. Download and start using a reputed anti-ransomware software to avoid any type of future attacks.
Want to access geo-restricted sites, but don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of technicalities? You are in luck. ClearVPN is just the right VPN for you. Unlike other VPNs in the market, ClearVPN lets you choose the activity you wish to perform, not the server. This makes using both a VPN and staying secure […]
Of course, you’ve spent a lot of money for your new Mac, and we understand how it can be frustrating when you see it starts working slow or any other unusual things happen, like an unexpected crash of apps. What happened with the expensive device and how to stop and prevent this problem? In our […]
Human nature is defined as the constant struggle of man and woman to fulfill their immediate needs, wants, and desires. Once that list is achieved, we want more and in a consumer-dominated world, there is nothing better than that. You may be a fan of fast internet speeds, however, you would also need other perks […]
Identity theft – what is it and how to protect yourself? At a time when there is an unlimited amount of information available to the individual via the Internet, and the development of technology and the increasingly complex operation of the public and social life require the exchange of large quantities of data, the right […]
Blockchain technology has advanced significantly since the launch of cryptocurrency in 2008. Today, entrepreneurs in various industries have embraced its value and technological advantage, trying to appropriate it for advancing their competitive edge on the market. Besides, blockchain may open up new doors due to its dispersed and flexible nature, helping companies through transparency, privacy, […]
Are you contemplating software expansion? The complexity of programming necessitates the need for an expert programmer. While anyone can pass out as a developer, it will help if you research the leading destinations to outsource software development specialists. This article factors in everything you need to know when looking for a software developer. Factors to […]
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]