What is Ransomware? How It Works and How to Remove It?
Ever since the computer is introduced to us, the way everything around us operates has been completely changed. For most of the part, it has been extremely good, but it also has brought some unwanted and unpleasant scenarios as well. While computers are being used for pretty much every purpose, we now have millions of computers all around the world. Well, there’s a darker side to this phenomenon, which is the aspect of cyber attacks. Even though digital threats are nothing new to us, but recently they’ve been growing stronger with exponential pace. The latest threat that shook the digital world is ransomware, especially popularized by the ‘wannacry’ attack. Thousands of people have become victim to this ransomware attack. To know what is ransomware and other related information, keep on reading.
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of malicious software, which is also shortly known as malware. It attacks vulnerable computers and gets access to all the files in the devices. After achieving access, it then encrypts those files and demands money as ransom from the device owner. Unless the person pays the ransom amount, the computer will stay in locked mode, making it impossible to access your data. Let’s have a look at some of the popular ransomware types:
- Scareware: Well, you don’t really have to be scared just because it has the term ‘scare’ in its name. Basically, it’s a fake program that claims itself to be a genuine security program. It then offers you assistance in fixing various types of system issues. If you accept the offer you’ll be asked to pay subscription fee. If you still proceed with that, you will just lose money and nothing gets fixed. To be precise, it’s just a scamming method. This type of ransomware is deployed through pop-up, which if you ignore, you’ll be just fine.
- Doxware: Now, we move to the next level of ransomware threats, which is Doxware, alternatively known as leakware. If your device is infected with this type of malicious software, you’re almost doomed. As we all store confidential and personal files on our devices, doxware, after attacking your computer, threatens to leak your information unless you pay ransom money.
- Encrypting Ransomware: This is the most lethal form you can get from ransomware. Many famous cyber attacks come under this category, as they’ve bamboozled a lot of people around the world. Basically, hackers use this attack method to get hold of a device and then to encrypt it completely. Unless you pay the demanded amount of money as ransom, you can’t get access to your device and files in it. It is as dangerous as it gets if you’ve fallen victim to this category.
How does Ransomware work?
As discussed above, a ransomware program attacks your computer and then encrypts the data in it. You can get access to your files only if you pay the ransom money. So, to understand the process of how it works in a better way, let’s have a look at some of the key steps involved in the attack:
- Generally, it all starts with the deployment of the malware into your device, either through an e-mail, pop-up, or any other source.
- When the user clicks on the source, which is disguised as an important item, a redirection to a new landing page takes place.
- Once the website redirection happens, the server hosting the ransomware begins communicating with your device.
- As soon as a vulnerability is found in the victims’ computer, the malware file download begins.
- The final step involves the encryption of the victim’s files and information, after which a message appears with payment details.
How to remove Ransomware from your device?
Ransomware not only attacks corporate computers, but also targets commoners like you and me. Once attacked, it’s very difficult to get rid of it. As they say, prevention is better than cure. If you want to be safe and secure, you must follow several precautionary measures. Here are a few things that you should do:
- Never click on random links and suspicious emails.
- Try to download any type of files from only official websites.
- Don’t use pirated websites and services to download files.
If you’ve been attacked by ransomware, you should install anti-ransomware software to get rid of the malicious program. But, there’s no 100% guarantee that a security program will help you in such instances. It’s better to use a security software beforehand, so that it will prevent any type of attacks taking place.
Now, you must be aware of what is ransomware and how it works. As you’ve also learnt how to prevent and remove it, now it’s time for you to take precautionary measure to stay safe. Download and start using a reputed anti-ransomware software to avoid any type of future attacks.
Are you finally ready to optimize your website? Ready to create a user-friendly website that can dramatically increase your sales? Then, you must have already gone through all the amazing A/B testing tools available in the market. You know the UX A/B testing software market wasn’t that crowded a few years back. There were only […]
Are you running an online store? Then, dispatching items, tracking deliveries, taking returns, and managing stock must give you a terrible migraine. But, not anymore! With the best warehouse management software in 2021, you can efficiently manage all warehouse operations with ease. WMS software will reduce manual labor and improve customer services in no time. […]
Are you an architect, interior designer, or just a hobbyist? You need 3D architecture software to conceptualize your building or home design ideas. Plus, do you know how quick and accurate models you can create with 3D printing? If not, let us help you find the best architecture design software in 2021. With the right […]
Billing and invoicing is a hard business. Creating invoices, sending them, and following up on unpaid bills can take up a lot of time. On the top, recurring bills and invoices can definitely lose you money without even realizing it. Billing and invoicing software are the perfect alternatives to your old accounting system. Using billing […]
Accounting is a very broad spectrum revolving around numerous financial operations. Accounts payable management is one of the crucial accounting operations to maintain a proper cash flow system. AP teams processes, records, and ensure to pay vendors on time. The accounts payable software can fully automate manual data entry work. Additionally, AP software helps with […]
Whether you are a solopreneur or a corporate leader, undoubtedly, you need the best payroll management software to smoothly run your business. HR payroll software helps in saving time, efforts and keeping your staff happy. Plus, payroll software ensures that you meet all the tax compliance. If you haven’t yet selected the suitable payroll software […]
Health is Wealth — we all know that! Unfortunately, not many people still pay attention to their medication and take their prescribed pills on time. Often work schedules and home chores take all your attention that you don’t remember to take your medicines on time. If that always happens with you, technology has invented a […]
Now that your iPhone storage is almost full and the easiest way to free up some space is to move your large files from iPhone to your Mac. Videos occupy fair share of total storage space and it is wise to move these large files to your Mac so that you give your iOS device […]
Today, you can open Spotify or iTunes apps anytime on your phone and listen to unlimited music. But, if you want a full listing experience, your good old radio is the best option. For some witty talks, meaningful entertainment, and lighthearted programs, online radio stations are the right place. It doesn’t matter where you are […]
The tech industry has taken pole position in the latest the MBA Career Services & Employer Alliance survey, with the industry seeing the largest increase in full-time job postings in business schools in the autumn of 2020. During a difficult time for both job hunters and entrepreneurs, says MBA Atch, tech ‘is the silver lining’, with various […]