What Is A Data Pipeline?
Data pipeline works by a series of actions or steps of processing data. The process involves the ingestion of data from different sources then moving them to a destination in step by step manner. In each step, the output is formulated and goes on until completed.
How does it work? As its name suggests, it works like how a pipeline runs. It carries data from sources then delivers it to a destination. It allows disparate data to be automatically processed, then delivered and centralized into a data system.
The key elements of a data pipeline can be categorized into three: an origin or a source, a step-by-step procedure or flow of data, and a destination.
Components of Data Pipeline
- Origin or Source. It is the point of origin of the data that will be processed. Data pipeline gets data from disparate sources, including SaaS applications data, API applications, a webhook, social media, IoT devices, and storage systems such as data warehouses of companies reports and analytics.
- Dataflow. It involves data movement from sources to the destination. It includes the various changes that happened along the process and the storages of data it went through. ETL (extract, transform, load) is one of the ways to a data flow. It is a specific data pipeline type.
Extract- is the process of ingestion of data from the sources.
Transform- refers to the preparation of data for analysis such as sorting, verification validation, and so on.
Load- refers to the final output loading to the destination.
- Destination. It is the final place where the data will be stored, such as a data warehouse, data lake, and the like.
- Processing. This involves taking actions and steps while the data pipeline is being done, from the ingestion of data until delivered to the destination.
- Workflow. It is defined by the order of actions and their dependencies in the process.
- Monitoring. Ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the process is relevant to data pipeline ad network congestion, and failure may occur.
Organizations rely a lot on data; there as time goes on, their data keeps on filing and increasing the demand of efficiency requirements. Hence, data transfer and transactions happen from time to time. So, in order to keep up with the volume of data, data pipeline tools are needed.
What is a Big Data Pipeline?
The increase of data regularly increases, therefore as a countermeasure, big data adaptation was developed. As its name suggests, big data is a data pipeline that works on a massive volume of information. It functions the same as the smaller ones but on a bigger scale. Extracting, transforming, and loading (ETL) of data can be done on a large scale of information in this pipeline, which can be used on real-time reporting, alerting, and predictive analysis.
The same with lots of data architecture components, in order to process huge data scale innovation of data pipeline, these are necessary. Production of data with the help of a big data pipeline becomes much more flexible than the small ones. Hence, to accommodate a tremendous amount of data is how it came to life. It can process streams, a batch of data, and many more. Varying formats of data can be operated like structured one, unstructured and semi-structured information unlike the regular. But scalability of a data pipeline based on an organization’s necessity is very significant to be an efficient big data pipeline. The absence of a scalable property of a pipeline could affect the variable of time for the system to complete the process.
There are industries or organizations that require big data pipelines more than the others. Some of those are the following;
- Finance and banking institutions analyze big data for the improvement of services
- Healthcare organizations that work on a variety of data related to health
- Educational Institutions which work on many student information
- Government organizations employ big data pipeline on a large scale as they cover data analysis of various data that concern government affairs
- Manufacturing companies use pipelines on a huge scale to streamline their transactions
- Communication, media, and entertainment organizations apply big data in real-time updates, improvement of connection and video streaming quality, and many more
- Huge corporate businesses that evaluate and analyze a large amount of information. They use a big data pipeline to streamline company transactions, processes, and productions
Considerations in Data Pipeline Architecture
Architectures of data pipelines require a lot of consideration before building one. Some of these can be answered by the following questions:
- What are the pipelines for? What is the purpose of it? Why would you need to create one? What accomplishment do you want to achieve with it?
- What amount of data do you wish? What data will you work on? Is it streaming, structured or not?
- How will the pipeline function? What will be the scope of the data that will be processed? Will it be used for gathering reports, demographic files, general education information, and so forth.
What is Data Pipeline Architecture?
It is the strategy of designing a data pipeline that ingests, processes, and delivers data to a destination system for a specific result.
Data Pipeline Architecture examples
Batch-Based Data Pipeline
In this example, it involves processing a batch of data that has been stored, such as company revenues for a month or a year. This process does not need real-time analytics as it processes volumes of data stored. Use of point-of-sale (POS) system, an application source generating huge data points to be carried or transferred to a database or data warehouse.
Streaming Data Pipeline
This example, unlike the first one, involves real-time analytics operations. Data coming from the point-of-sale system is being processed while being prompted. Besides carrying outputs back to the POS system, streams processing machine delivers products from the pipeline to marketing apps, data storage, CRM’s, and the likes.
This data pipeline is a combination of batch-based and streaming data pipelines. Lambda Architecture can do both stored or real-time data analysis. Big data entities often use this example.
The Internet plays a great role in our lives and it is as important as any other necessity in our lives like we cannot imagine living without food and water. In 2021, we cannot imagine a world without the internet as we are getting a lot of benefit from it. When we talk about business, […]
If your iPhone’s memory is full or you wish to create a backup of your cherished photos, you should import all your iPhone photos to your PC. There are several quick solutions to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. In this post, the TC team went ahead and drafted a complete guide on how […]
Among all the amazing Windows 10 applications, personalizing desktop appearance is simply fabulous. Windows 10 offers a group of elements that can help you customize the aesthetics of your screen in no time. As of now, we are going to focus on how to change the taskbar color in Windows 10. Within a few clicks, […]
Introduction Nowadays, one of the most trending social media apps is TikTok. Several users interact with each other by making videos and posting them. The reason behind its fame overnight is the exceptional features it comes with. There are a number of effects and filters using which you can make cool videos. A famous option […]
Online food delivery apps are booming today! One tap food ordering from your favorite restaurant business model is spreading like wildfire globally. Currently, many companies are making millions by creating food delivery apps. But there’s a catch for restaurants here — you have to provide delivery services under the company’s guidelines. If you don’t want […]
When your Windows 10 won’t stop troubling you, it’s time to wipe out the hard drive and have a fresh start. You can quickly reinstall Windows 10 to eliminate apps, startup, shut down, and performance issues. Additionally, if you are getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive, it’s good to have a clean […]
Drivers on Mac! Many computer users have rarely ever heard the two terms together. That’s because drivers are mostly associated with Windows PCs, not Mac. To be honest, macOS doesn’t actually require driver software to support hardware functions. Mac gadgets have built-in solutions to integrate with hardware, so no need to install third-party driver software. […]
Yoga has incredible physical and mental health benefits. That you already know! So, let’s not talk about that and discuss how you can do yoga anytime and anywhere? With the best yoga apps, you can perform relaxing yoga asanas whenever you have free time. You can simply open a yoga app on your phone or […]
VPNs mask your internet protocol (IP) address so your online actions are virtually untraceable. – Norton It creates an encrypted tunnel for your data, protects your online identity by hiding your IP address. – NordVPN VPN is an online multi-purpose privacy service that allows you to establish a secure and private connection to another network without […]
Can’t download the latest iOS or iPadOS update on your device? Do you always get a Full Storage message whenever you try to install a new app or click a picture on your device? Then, ladies and gentlemen, it is a clear indication that you have to clear cache and free up storage space on […]
Losing your Instagram pics due to accidental deletion or careless usage of the app can be very frustrating. Especially if it happens to be your favorite photo with the most likes and comments. But you don’t have to worry because there are many ways through which you can recover deleted Instagram photos with ease. In […]
Stop Searching on Google what to eat, watch or drink. Start searching with Friendspire. Everyone loves foods, drinks, movies, TV shows, but are you, everyone? You’re not! You don’t just love these things you want to watch, eat, drink, read and listen to the best, right? So, what do you do to accomplish this? Like […]
Most email tracking software only tells you whether an email is opened or not. Whereas they should tell you why a person opened your email and how ready he or she is to become your customer. In the marketing funnel, emails play a king-size role. Therefore, you need an email tracker that answers — when […]
Video games are only for boys! Do you also think that? Well, no, digital games are for everyone — whether you want to kill monsters or dress up a Barbie. Today, girls can have all the gaming fun; they can cook, dress up, do makeup, and so much more. If you want to relive your […]
What do you eat? How do you eat? When do you eat? — directly reflects on how you feel or look. Today, planning your diet isn’t a cosmetic luxury; it is a way to lead a healthy life. But, it is easier to say than to do. When you have your favorite sugar-loaded dessert calling […]