What Is A Data Pipeline?
Data pipeline works by a series of actions or steps of processing data. The process involves the ingestion of data from different sources then moving them to a destination in step by step manner. In each step, the output is formulated and goes on until completed.
How does it work? As its name suggests, it works like how a pipeline runs. It carries data from sources then delivers it to a destination. It allows disparate data to be automatically processed, then delivered and centralized into a data system.
The key elements of a data pipeline can be categorized into three: an origin or a source, a step-by-step procedure or flow of data, and a destination.
Components of Data Pipeline
- Origin or Source. It is the point of origin of the data that will be processed. Data pipeline gets data from disparate sources, including SaaS applications data, API applications, a webhook, social media, IoT devices, and storage systems such as data warehouses of companies reports and analytics.
- Dataflow. It involves data movement from sources to the destination. It includes the various changes that happened along the process and the storages of data it went through. ETL (extract, transform, load) is one of the ways to a data flow. It is a specific data pipeline type.
Extract- is the process of ingestion of data from the sources.
Transform- refers to the preparation of data for analysis such as sorting, verification validation, and so on.
Load- refers to the final output loading to the destination.
- Destination. It is the final place where the data will be stored, such as a data warehouse, data lake, and the like.
- Processing. This involves taking actions and steps while the data pipeline is being done, from the ingestion of data until delivered to the destination.
- Workflow. It is defined by the order of actions and their dependencies in the process.
- Monitoring. Ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the process is relevant to data pipeline ad network congestion, and failure may occur.
Organizations rely a lot on data; there as time goes on, their data keeps on filing and increasing the demand of efficiency requirements. Hence, data transfer and transactions happen from time to time. So, in order to keep up with the volume of data, data pipeline tools are needed.
What is a Big Data Pipeline?
The increase of data regularly increases, therefore as a countermeasure, big data adaptation was developed. As its name suggests, big data is a data pipeline that works on a massive volume of information. It functions the same as the smaller ones but on a bigger scale. Extracting, transforming, and loading (ETL) of data can be done on a large scale of information in this pipeline, which can be used on real-time reporting, alerting, and predictive analysis.
The same with lots of data architecture components, in order to process huge data scale innovation of data pipeline, these are necessary. Production of data with the help of a big data pipeline becomes much more flexible than the small ones. Hence, to accommodate a tremendous amount of data is how it came to life. It can process streams, a batch of data, and many more. Varying formats of data can be operated like structured one, unstructured and semi-structured information unlike the regular. But scalability of a data pipeline based on an organization’s necessity is very significant to be an efficient big data pipeline. The absence of a scalable property of a pipeline could affect the variable of time for the system to complete the process.
There are industries or organizations that require big data pipelines more than the others. Some of those are the following;
- Finance and banking institutions analyze big data for the improvement of services
- Healthcare organizations that work on a variety of data related to health
- Educational Institutions which work on many student information
- Government organizations employ big data pipeline on a large scale as they cover data analysis of various data that concern government affairs
- Manufacturing companies use pipelines on a huge scale to streamline their transactions
- Communication, media, and entertainment organizations apply big data in real-time updates, improvement of connection and video streaming quality, and many more
- Huge corporate businesses that evaluate and analyze a large amount of information. They use a big data pipeline to streamline company transactions, processes, and productions
Considerations in Data Pipeline Architecture
Architectures of data pipelines require a lot of consideration before building one. Some of these can be answered by the following questions:
- What are the pipelines for? What is the purpose of it? Why would you need to create one? What accomplishment do you want to achieve with it?
- What amount of data do you wish? What data will you work on? Is it streaming, structured or not?
- How will the pipeline function? What will be the scope of the data that will be processed? Will it be used for gathering reports, demographic files, general education information, and so forth.
What is Data Pipeline Architecture?
It is the strategy of designing a data pipeline that ingests, processes, and delivers data to a destination system for a specific result.
Data Pipeline Architecture examples
Batch-Based Data Pipeline
In this example, it involves processing a batch of data that has been stored, such as company revenues for a month or a year. This process does not need real-time analytics as it processes volumes of data stored. Use of point-of-sale (POS) system, an application source generating huge data points to be carried or transferred to a database or data warehouse.
Streaming Data Pipeline
This example, unlike the first one, involves real-time analytics operations. Data coming from the point-of-sale system is being processed while being prompted. Besides carrying outputs back to the POS system, streams processing machine delivers products from the pipeline to marketing apps, data storage, CRM’s, and the likes.
This data pipeline is a combination of batch-based and streaming data pipelines. Lambda Architecture can do both stored or real-time data analysis. Big data entities often use this example.
The Healthcare landscape has turned 360 degrees in the last few months. Physical doctor visits have turned into video calls, and medication orders are now being placed online. It won’t be wrong to say that pandemic has given a much-needed new push to healthcare digitization. In 2020, the global digital health market was valued at […]
iTunes is one of the most critical parts of the Apple family. It lets you download media files from the internet to your Mac and other Apple devices. Apple releases iTunes updates frequently so that users can build their personal playlists and movie libraries hassle-freely. To update iTunes on your Mac, you simply have to […]
Do you want to sell a product or services online? But don’t want to deal with the eCommerce shop setting up hassles? Then, better learn how to sell on Instagram in 2021. You see people, Instagram has over 1 billion active users globally, out of which 110 million users are only from the United States. […]
In simple words, data security is paramount because it wins the customer’s trust when they have to share their information with a business. Regardless of the company size, data is important for all kinds of firms out there. To avoid any unforeseen event from taking place, businesses have to invest in several data privacy principles […]
We are sure that finding this article is itself a sense of relief as your deleted photos have a great sentimental value and they must be recovered back using a good photo recovery software. Whether your photos have been deleted from a computer, memory card, hard drive, SD card or a digital camera, you can […]
What are these incredible apps? It has been known for some time that the human body can heal itself and rebalance the hundreds of energy systems it uses to maintain wellbeing through stimulation coming from the outside world. Many new forms of technology are able to measure this balance and the changes that can happen […]
The competition in the world of business is more demanding than ever before. Startups, for example, encounter some trouble establishing their presence in the industry of their choice. Also, it is challenging to please customers these days. When running a business, your ultimate goal is to make noise in the market, increase online visibility, and […]
In the previous years, the majority of the consumers and businesses used unsustainable materials as if there will be no tomorrow. They just think for the present day without realizing that these unsustainable materials will not have a bad effect to the environment. But nowadays, there’s now the so-called “environmental awareness” which many people documented […]
There are a lot of unique features usually related to successful business people, including passion, confidence, and commitment. However, in today’s frenetic digital time, even the best person needs some help running a company. And with lots of helpful, reliable, and efficient data-driven tools and solutions for business at your disposal, why would you shoulder […]
Data pipeline works by a series of actions or steps of processing data. The process involves the ingestion of data from different sources then moving them to a destination in step by step manner. In each step, the output is formulated and goes on until completed. How does it work? As its name suggests, it […]
Installing a good quality security system for your home will provide you with several safety benefits.Modern smart security systems come with advanced technological features to enhance the safety and security of your home. Here are some of the benefits of installing a smart security system in your home. Deters Criminals Criminals search for loopholes in […]
Bulky files are a great hindrance when you have to transfer or move them. Plus, they unnecessarily take up more room on your hard disk and slow down its performance. But you can easily tackle large files by knowing how to compress files on your Mac. The compressed file bearing .zip extension lets you store […]
Outsourcing software project is very common among multinational companies across the world. How can outsourcing project work provide advantages to a multinational company? The above question is very common among newbies interested in internet marketing. Let’s see here are some of the main features and benefits of outsourcing software projects. Improving the accuracy of project […]
If you have a Windows 10 computer with an internet connection, you need to invest in the best antimalware for PC — no questions asked. You need antivirus software to safeguard your system and data from infinite cyber threats such as malware, ransomware, and more. Thankfully, most of the new PCs come with pre-installed antimalware […]
Parenting in the social media era isn’t easy. You have to find a way to protect your kids from numerous online vulnerabilities. Especially if your kid is on Instagram, you have to shield him or her from cyberbullies, fake accounts, adult content, and more threats. Unfortunately, setting up Instagram parental controls isn’t easy because Instagram […]