What Is A Data Pipeline?
Data pipeline works by a series of actions or steps of processing data. The process involves the ingestion of data from different sources then moving them to a destination in step by step manner. In each step, the output is formulated and goes on until completed.
How does it work? As its name suggests, it works like how a pipeline runs. It carries data from sources then delivers it to a destination. It allows disparate data to be automatically processed, then delivered and centralized into a data system.
The key elements of a data pipeline can be categorized into three: an origin or a source, a step-by-step procedure or flow of data, and a destination.
Components of Data Pipeline
- Origin or Source. It is the point of origin of the data that will be processed. Data pipeline gets data from disparate sources, including SaaS applications data, API applications, a webhook, social media, IoT devices, and storage systems such as data warehouses of companies reports and analytics.
- Dataflow. It involves data movement from sources to the destination. It includes the various changes that happened along the process and the storages of data it went through. ETL (extract, transform, load) is one of the ways to a data flow. It is a specific data pipeline type.
Extract- is the process of ingestion of data from the sources.
Transform- refers to the preparation of data for analysis such as sorting, verification validation, and so on.
Load- refers to the final output loading to the destination.
- Destination. It is the final place where the data will be stored, such as a data warehouse, data lake, and the like.
- Processing. This involves taking actions and steps while the data pipeline is being done, from the ingestion of data until delivered to the destination.
- Workflow. It is defined by the order of actions and their dependencies in the process.
- Monitoring. Ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the process is relevant to data pipeline ad network congestion, and failure may occur.
Organizations rely a lot on data; there as time goes on, their data keeps on filing and increasing the demand of efficiency requirements. Hence, data transfer and transactions happen from time to time. So, in order to keep up with the volume of data, data pipeline tools are needed.
What is a Big Data Pipeline?
The increase of data regularly increases, therefore as a countermeasure, big data adaptation was developed. As its name suggests, big data is a data pipeline that works on a massive volume of information. It functions the same as the smaller ones but on a bigger scale. Extracting, transforming, and loading (ETL) of data can be done on a large scale of information in this pipeline, which can be used on real-time reporting, alerting, and predictive analysis.
The same with lots of data architecture components, in order to process huge data scale innovation of data pipeline, these are necessary. Production of data with the help of a big data pipeline becomes much more flexible than the small ones. Hence, to accommodate a tremendous amount of data is how it came to life. It can process streams, a batch of data, and many more. Varying formats of data can be operated like structured one, unstructured and semi-structured information unlike the regular. But scalability of a data pipeline based on an organization’s necessity is very significant to be an efficient big data pipeline. The absence of a scalable property of a pipeline could affect the variable of time for the system to complete the process.
There are industries or organizations that require big data pipelines more than the others. Some of those are the following;
- Finance and banking institutions analyze big data for the improvement of services
- Healthcare organizations that work on a variety of data related to health
- Educational Institutions which work on many student information
- Government organizations employ big data pipeline on a large scale as they cover data analysis of various data that concern government affairs
- Manufacturing companies use pipelines on a huge scale to streamline their transactions
- Communication, media, and entertainment organizations apply big data in real-time updates, improvement of connection and video streaming quality, and many more
- Huge corporate businesses that evaluate and analyze a large amount of information. They use a big data pipeline to streamline company transactions, processes, and productions
Considerations in Data Pipeline Architecture
Architectures of data pipelines require a lot of consideration before building one. Some of these can be answered by the following questions:
- What are the pipelines for? What is the purpose of it? Why would you need to create one? What accomplishment do you want to achieve with it?
- What amount of data do you wish? What data will you work on? Is it streaming, structured or not?
- How will the pipeline function? What will be the scope of the data that will be processed? Will it be used for gathering reports, demographic files, general education information, and so forth.
What is Data Pipeline Architecture?
It is the strategy of designing a data pipeline that ingests, processes, and delivers data to a destination system for a specific result.
Data Pipeline Architecture examples
Batch-Based Data Pipeline
In this example, it involves processing a batch of data that has been stored, such as company revenues for a month or a year. This process does not need real-time analytics as it processes volumes of data stored. Use of point-of-sale (POS) system, an application source generating huge data points to be carried or transferred to a database or data warehouse.
Streaming Data Pipeline
This example, unlike the first one, involves real-time analytics operations. Data coming from the point-of-sale system is being processed while being prompted. Besides carrying outputs back to the POS system, streams processing machine delivers products from the pipeline to marketing apps, data storage, CRM’s, and the likes.
This data pipeline is a combination of batch-based and streaming data pipelines. Lambda Architecture can do both stored or real-time data analysis. Big data entities often use this example.
While scrolling through Netflix, do you feel you’ve seen it all? Well, if that’s the case let us add some spice to it and shed new light on streaming services, gaming, Blu-rays, etc. Wondering how that would be possible? Well, using Light Mi Neo the best and pocket-friendly alternative to Philips’s sync box you can […]
We are living in an era where many platforms give you a space to create different kinds of content and there are different ways through which you can showcase your skills and talent and can earn a pretty good amount of money. You won’t be just earning money but you will also learn a lot […]
Due to recent events, the way people meet and greet has totally changed. Now, you no longer find dates or make friends in social gatherings or via mutual friends. Today, everything is virtual — from work to making new friends. Therefore, virtual dating and chat apps are getting highly popular these days. Among all the […]
Do you have a genuine reason to hack someone’s Instagram password? For instance, you want to keep an eye on your teen’s Instagram activities; your friend has forgotten his or her IG password or something else. Here if you have a legitimate reason to hack Instagram password, there are numerous legal Instagram password cracker tools […]
If you are wondering that augmented reality-based applications are still very far in the future, you are wrong. Today, AR-oriented websites and mobile applications are being developed rapidly; just look at the Apple 12 or EaseUS MobiMover websites to check mind-blowing AR effects. Additionally, users are nowadays looking for more realistic and personalized experiences from […]
Whether you want to follow the latest trends or wish to engage with your Instagram followers, IG Reels can help you with everything. But what if Instagram Reels are not working for you? Sounds scary! But it is possible. Despite Instagram being one of the most popular photos sharing platforms, it still faces numerous technical […]
Wireless earbuds are hot items these days, especially after Apple’s AirPods popularity. Now, to stimulate the wireless connectivity industry, xFyro has also introduced new ANC earbuds. The company claims to develop fully waterproof, 8-hour long battery life and superior HD sound quality powered with AI-technology earbuds. The product seems amazing from the company’s briefing, but […]
We’d like to welcome you to The Elder Scrolls Online’s Nightblade leveling guide! The build is intended to assist anyone who is upgrading a Nightblade in order to become a Magicka damage dealer. This isn’t a typical “leveling procedure,” but rather a structure that shows some of the most common constructions for this role. This […]
Apple TV is one of the finest streaming devices available, supporting SD, HD, and 4K resolutions. But why should you get it? Let’s find out! Apple just upgraded the Apple TV 4K, which means you can now view models from 2017 and 2021. But what is the difference and is it worthwhile to upgrade from […]
If one thing associated with Covid-19 outbreak that made life easier for people is evolution in video & digital platforms. Working and studying from home has seen a surge in demand for more quality videos. Recorded lectures, presentations, and other forms of video content are easily available now in HD quality, thanks to video editing […]
Subtitles have established a track record as significant parts of videos. In addition to several benefits, they keep viewers comprehensively immersed in videos. While subtitles pilot viewers who can grasp the audio of a video, captions are regrettably different. Regardless, subtitles dictate an all-around video experience for all audio-visual audiences. But how can you perform […]
Are you bad at managing finances? Do you often overspend your monthly budget? Then, no need to worry! As you can appoint a personal financial advisor to help you out. No, you don’t need to spend thousands on hiring a financial advisor. Simply open your smartphone and download the best personal finance apps on it. […]
Many Mac users encounter the problem of disk space shortage sooner or later. But, how exactly does space run low on Mac devices? Take a look at the visual representation of disk storage space on your Mac. You’ll see a bar with several differently colored sections notifying you what portion of memory is occupied by […]
Do you want to get more likes, comments, and reshares on your social media posts? Then, simply create memes! That’s because everyone loves to laugh and have a bit of fun on social media. Plus, people remember sarcastic and realistic posts better than promotional or serious posts. Additionally, you don’t need to hire a professional […]
Digital marketing, or the modern version of marketing, is much different from the traditional methods. Unlike the latter, the former saves both time and money. And in conjunction with modern tools such as VPNs, it transcends geographical boundaries and expectations to deliver the best results. For instance, you can reach out to your audience in […]