Productive & Protected: Cybersecurity For Workplace Chat Apps
There is a strong demand for workplace chat applications such as Microsoft Teams and Slack. These convenient applications allow employees to quickly communicate and collaborate in ways that are more dynamic and fluid than traditional email. With the security options presented today, you can avoid workplace chat apps being used as unsecured “Shadow IT” and instead implement them as a part of your organization’s secured toolkit.
In this article, we will be largely focusing on two applications – Microsoft Teams and Slack. Many of the features mentioned today are only available in enterprise-level tiers of these applications, with many of the Microsoft Teams features made available through Office 365 subscriptions.
Cybersecurity Risks of Workplace Chat Apps
Leading workplace chat applications are primarily cloud-based, which comes with its own unique suite of risks and mitigation strategies. These chat apps also open a potential vector for sensitive information to be transmitted from an organization’s secured servers to a third-party platform with potential vulnerabilities.
Cloud-based applications have the risk of:
- Third Party Control
- When an organization uses the applications or services of another company there is an added vector for risk as the cybersecurity practices of third parties are out of their control. If the third party is breached or is intentionally hiding malware in its software it can be a potential vulnerability to connected systems.
- Increased potential for data breaches
- A data breach is said to occur when information is accessed by an unauthorized party. If a third party application is granted access to an organization’s network there is an increased potential for sensitive data to be wrongfully accessed.
- Insecure APIs
- A software’s Application Program Interface (API) defines the set of tools, protocols, and routines for building the software. Third party applications with insecure APIs become a potential vulnerability should those insecurities be exploited.
- Account hijacking
- One of the advantages of cloud-based applications is the ability for them to be accessed remotely. This advantage can also prove to be a potential vulnerability as the login credentials of an authorized party can be stolen and used to gain remote access to sensitive information.
- Insider threats
- Employees, contractors, and associates can intentionally or unknowingly cause damage to internal systems or leak sensitive information through their actions. As with account hijacking, the ability to access resources off-site through cloud applications gives an added opportunity for sensitive information to be accessed .
How to Mitigate the Risks
The productivity, collaboration, and communication improvements when using workplace chat applications make them a worthwhile consideration for use as a tool within an organization. To maximize the potential of these applications while reducing the risks, there are key steps an organization can take to protect themselves.
Security Through Policy
To mitigate cybersecurity risks, an organization’s workforce must be equipped with the right knowledge and policies. Regular cybersecurity training for employees reduces the potential for accidental insider threats by providing employees with the knowledge needed to operate safely.
Organizations that wish to use workplace chat applications as a resource for their business need to ensure they have a robust cybersecurity plan that includes policies for acceptable device and network use, password hygiene practices, privilege-based access to sensitive data and systems, as well as other cybersecurity best practices.
A suitable workplace chat application must include advanced identity management options beyond a simple username/password login to ensures that employee user accounts are difficult to access by unauthorized parties.
Identity Management Features:
- Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Single Sign-On features allow an organization to log in to multiple services using a trusted third-party application.
- Slack offers Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) as their SSO option, allowing organizations to use an identity provider of their choice such as Microsoft Azure, GSuite, LastPass, and OneLogin.
- Microsoft Teams uses Azure Active Directory as the identity and access management platform, which also uses the SAML protocol.
- Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
- Multi-factor authentication provides an additional layer of identity verification by requiring the use of additional authenticators such as an authentication app (Microsoft Authenticator, Authy, Google Authenticator) or an SMS.
- Slack offers 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) via an authentication app or SMS.
- Microsoft Teams offers 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) via an authentication app or SMS
If workplace chat applications are used to communicate between project teams, the potential for sensitive or otherwise confidential data to be shared on these platforms is a risk that needs to be mitigated. To prevent breaches of an organization’s data, a suitable workplace chat application needs to have robust data security measures in place.
Data Security Features & Solutions:
- Data encryption at rest and in transit
- in-transit data is data that is moving from one system to another, and at rest data is data that is being stored.
- Privileged Access Management (PAM)
- PAM-based solutions isolate accounts with greater privileges (admins) into a secure repository, reducing the possibility of damages through unauthorized access to these accounts.
- Microsoft Teams uses Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) to prevent malware from contaminating an organization’s systems
- Slack has integrations for added security & compliance software
- Enterprise Key Management (EKM)
- With EKM features, organizations can manage their own encryption keys with a trusted EKM provider.
- Slack offers EKM features with Amazon’s Key Management Service (AWS KMS) to encrypt messages and files.
- Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB)
- CASBs such as MVISION Cloud, Bitglass, and Microsoft Cloud App Security are software tools or services that act as a gatekeeper between an organization’s existing internal infrastructure and the infrastructure of a third-party cloud service provider, allowing for greater security and control when using third party cloud resources
- CASBs typically offer network and application firewalls, authentication, and data loss prevention tools that prevent transmission of sensitive data outside of authorized channels
- With the increased prevalence of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies, organizations should consider the use of an agentless CASB to have access to the security features of the CASB without the need for installing agents on individual devices. The use of an agentless CASB also mitigates privacy concerns for employees using personal devices for work as it can leverage needed security features without monitoring their personal traffic.
Slack Security Overview
Slack’s enterprise grid comes with a variety of security and compliance features to help organizations integrate the application while reducing cybersecurity risks. For a detailed overview of Slack’s security features, see their whitepaper on security within Slack, their enterprise security features page and their general security page.
Microsoft Teams Security Overview
Microsoft Teams meet Microsoft’s standards for “Tier D” compliance, their strictest internal compliance framework standard. For a detailed overview of Microsoft Teams’ security features, see their pricing & features page and their Microsoft Teams security compliance overview.
About the Author:
Dale Strickland works at CurrentWare Inc, a global provider of employee productivity, compliance and data loss prevention software headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
Losing your Instagram pics due to accidental deletion or careless usage of the app can be very frustrating. Especially if it happens to be your favorite photo with the most likes and comments. But you don’t have to worry because there are many ways through which you can recover deleted Instagram photos with ease. In […]
Stop Searching on Google what to eat, watch or drink. Start searching with Friendspire. Everyone loves foods, drinks, movies, TV shows, but are you, everyone? You’re not! You don’t just love these things you want to watch, eat, drink, read and listen to the best, right? So, what do you do to accomplish this? Like […]
Most email tracking software only tells you whether an email is opened or not. Whereas they should tell you why a person opened your email and how ready he or she is to become your customer. In the marketing funnel, emails play a king-size role. Therefore, you need an email tracker that answers — when […]
Video games are only for boys! Do you also think that? Well, no, digital games are for everyone — whether you want to kill monsters or dress up a Barbie. Today, girls can have all the gaming fun; they can cook, dress up, do makeup, and so much more. If you want to relive your […]
What do you eat? How do you eat? When do you eat? — directly reflects on how you feel or look. Today, planning your diet isn’t a cosmetic luxury; it is a way to lead a healthy life. But, it is easier to say than to do. When you have your favorite sugar-loaded dessert calling […]
Mobile Learning combined with the internet is becoming increasingly popular nowadays because it is one of the most successful programs developed by technical inventors in the times of COVID-19. People are more attracted to multimedia platforms than they were to the traditional learning system. In addition to this, e-learning offers much more advanced learning than […]
The long-awaited, iOS 14.5 is officially released for all users and this update comes with a vast list of features. The most prominent among them are: Apple Watch iPhone unlock. AirTags App Tracking Over 200 new emoji New Siri Voices and more. Here’s what you need to do to download and install iOS 14.5 and […]
Are you a hardcore reader? Then, you definitely want to use every minute of the day to unveil a new story. With audiobook apps, you can get that opportunity. Whether you are driving, walking, or working out in a gym, your audiobook app can supply unlimited stories to you. For our busy readers, the TC […]
Digital marketing utilizes the internet, cell phones, web-based media, web indexes, and various channels to reach out to their customers. Some advertising experts consider digital marketing to be a completely new venture that requires a different method of moving customers and better ways to see how customers move forward with traditional promotions. Relativity with Digital […]
Instagram marketing is how different brands mainly use Instagram to connect with their target audiences and market their products. This method has mainly gained popularity as an exciting method for brands to showcase their culture, engage with their customers, and show off their products in a new light. Steps to be used in creating the […]
Digital marketing, online marketing, internet advertising, whatever you call it, marketing your agency online is a big deal these days. Digital Marketing This is a very vast term. Marketing done using technology and digitization is digital marketing. This is a form of direct marketing that establishes a link between sellers and customers. This is done through different […]
Marketing can be defined as actively promoting the services and products a business has to offer to its customers. This is done by keeping in mind market supply and customer demand. Marketing is now not looked at as just a door to door to sales. It is much more than that. Marketing is now an […]
Nowadays, with so many activities to perform on the internet like streaming movies, downloading files, and working from home, having an internet plan with unlimited data has become crucial for almost every household. However, finding an internet provider that offers the best internet service along with unlimited data is not an easy task. Therefore, to […]
The train journey is a wholesome experience. Getting to know different places, meeting new people, lazy talks, speed rush, and so much more. Now, imagine what if you get all the train experience while sitting at your home? Cool, right? By playing train games on your iOS gadgets, you can ride, drive or perform stunts […]
The simulation gaming genre is hard to ignore in 2021. A game that can lift the barrier between real life and virtual life. These games can stimulate your senses and let you live your gaming fantasies. Simulator games are a perfect combination of fun and technology that you can’t afford to miss out on. Today, […]