How to Reinstall Windows 10 for a Fresh Start
When your Windows 10 won’t stop troubling you, it’s time to wipe out the hard drive and have a fresh start. You can quickly reinstall Windows 10 to eliminate apps, startup, shut down, and performance issues.
Additionally, if you are getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive, it’s good to have a clean start. Plus, the fresh install can improve battery life and eliminate all types of malware from your device.
In short, if you have tried everything to fix your computer and nothing worked, reinstalling Windows OS is your last resort. But, it isn’t an easy process.
However, in this guide, we will show you how to reinstall Windows 10 without losing your data in the way. Let’s start fresh.
Pre-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Before getting to the main how to reinstall Windows 10 process, you have to prepare your computer for it. For a smooth reinstall Windows 10, first do follow things:
Creating a backup of your entire system is very important before you reinstall Windows 10. That’s because the process can delete everything on your hard drive. Plus, anything could go wrong during the reinstallation process, and you need backup to restore your system when things go down the hill. You can backup the entire system in multiple ways, such as:
System Image Backup Tool — MiniTool ShadowMaker
The easiest way to create an entire system’s backup is to use the legacy System Image Backup tools. For this guide, we are using MiniTool ShadowMake. It is complete data protection and disaster recovery solution that lets you create bootable media to restore your system. This free backup software can help you as:
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker and select Local Backup to start.
- Under the Backup tab, system partitions are already chosen as the backup source. You just have to select the hard drive of the non-working PC as the destination storage path.
- Now, click on Backup Now, and within a few minutes, your entire system will be backed up.
Other Backup Mediums
You can also back up your files on numerous other mediums like external storage, cloud storage, etc.
Windows 10 Activation
Once Windows 10 OS is activated, you don’t have to use the product key on the same device. The system automatically reactivates the product key once connected to the internet. However, if you are setting up Windows 10 on a new device, you need the product key. Thus, we recommend you note down your product key before starting to reinstall Windows 10. To do so, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Update Vital Drivers
Windows 10 can automatically detect and install your device drivers. However, you should update essential drivers before the process on the safe side, such as network adapter, graphics card, etc.
Confirm Windows 10 Requirements
If you are already on Windows 10, reinstallation will automatically meet all the hardware requirements. But, if you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1, you have to ensure that the device meets the minimum requirements.
Even if you have already backed up all your apps, there are still a few things you should consider before reinstalling:
- Deregister any app that needs reactivation after you install Windows 10.
- Save progress in your games, so you don’t have to start fresh.
- Save web bookmarks, etc.
Main-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have created a backup, recorded product key, and updated essential drivers, you can reinstall Windows 10 in the following ways:
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Reset Option
Windows 10 has a feature called Reset This PC. Using this feature, you can keep your personal files or remove them to reinstall Windows 10. It is the simplest method that doesn’t require any additional downloads. The process is as:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Under Reset This PC section, click on the Get Started.
- Now, you have two options to select from — Keep my files and Remove everything.
- If you select the Keep my files option, you can reinstall Windows 10 without losing data. Once the process is prepared, click on the Next to go on.
- In Ready to reset this PC, click the Reset button and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
Reinstall Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool
Microsoft offers a Media Creation Tool that can upgrade Windows 10 by creating an installation media or using the ISO file. This process works like this:
- From Microsoft Store, download the Media Creation Tool.
- Open the tool and select the Create installation media for another PC. If your PC is already running on Windows 10, use the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Select the language, architecture, and editing.
- Check the ISO file option to create an installation ISO.
- If you need to install Windows 10 from the ISO file without a USB driver. You have to mount the ISO file:
- Locate the ISO file, right-click and select the Properties.
- Under the General tab, click on the Change > Windows Explorer to open this file > OK.
- Right-click this file and select Mount.
- Double-click the ISO file to view the included files, then click on the setup.exe to start Windows 10 setup.
- Once the setup is ready, you have to decide whether to download and install updates or not. Here, we suggest selecting the first option to install important fixes and drivers.
- It will take a few minutes to check all available updates for your system.
- Click on the Accept button.
- Once all is done, the Ready to install screen will appear on your screen, where you can click on the link Change what to keep.
- Now, you have three options to select from — Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings, Keep personal files only, and Nothing.
- Select your option, click Next, and the reinstallation process will start on your Windows 10. Just follow the on-screen instructions to customize your settings.
If you want to reinstall Windows 10 using a USB cable, follow this process:
- Connect a USB device (minimum 8 GB) or DVD to a working PC.
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create installation media for another PC and USB flash drive. You can directly burn the ISO files to the USB.
- Insert the USB to a non-working PC and change the boot order.
- Start a clean install by following the wizards.
Post-process: How to Reinstall Windows 10
Once you have reinstalled Windows 10, you have a brand new system in your hands. To customize your computer, you have to reinstall apps, restore backed data and apply preferences. The post steps after reinstalling Windows 10 includes:
You have to log into your Microsoft account to restore your system settings and apps. First of all, you have to verify your account on the new device. Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Your account and click on the Verify link.
After restoring settings, you have to restore apps installed on your PC. Open Windows Store, click on your user photo, and click on the Library to access all the previously installed apps. Now, click on the download next to each app and restore all your favorite apps. Once done, click on your user photo again, click on the Downloads to update all the built-in apps.
Finally, you have to restore your files using File History. Attach your backup device to your PC, navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup. Click on the Add a drive to select your backup device, next click on More Options and Restore files from a current backup. Just click on the Settings cog and select Restore to recover your data and wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
After reading this guide, you are fully ready to reinstall Windows 10 and have a fresh start. You can select any method to reinstall Windows 10 at your convenience. But, never forget to take a backup before reinstalling your system.
Further, if you have any questions related to ‘how to reinstall Windows 10’, you can reach us. Our team is always ready to help you!
The Internet plays a great role in our lives and it is as important as any other necessity in our lives like we cannot imagine living without food and water. In 2021, we cannot imagine a world without the internet as we are getting a lot of benefit from it. When we talk about business, […]
If your iPhone’s memory is full or you wish to create a backup of your cherished photos, you should import all your iPhone photos to your PC. There are several quick solutions to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. In this post, the TC team went ahead and drafted a complete guide on how […]
Among all the amazing Windows 10 applications, personalizing desktop appearance is simply fabulous. Windows 10 offers a group of elements that can help you customize the aesthetics of your screen in no time. As of now, we are going to focus on how to change the taskbar color in Windows 10. Within a few clicks, […]
Introduction Nowadays, one of the most trending social media apps is TikTok. Several users interact with each other by making videos and posting them. The reason behind its fame overnight is the exceptional features it comes with. There are a number of effects and filters using which you can make cool videos. A famous option […]
Online food delivery apps are booming today! One tap food ordering from your favorite restaurant business model is spreading like wildfire globally. Currently, many companies are making millions by creating food delivery apps. But there’s a catch for restaurants here — you have to provide delivery services under the company’s guidelines. If you don’t want […]
When your Windows 10 won’t stop troubling you, it’s time to wipe out the hard drive and have a fresh start. You can quickly reinstall Windows 10 to eliminate apps, startup, shut down, and performance issues. Additionally, if you are getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive, it’s good to have a clean […]
Drivers on Mac! Many computer users have rarely ever heard the two terms together. That’s because drivers are mostly associated with Windows PCs, not Mac. To be honest, macOS doesn’t actually require driver software to support hardware functions. Mac gadgets have built-in solutions to integrate with hardware, so no need to install third-party driver software. […]
Yoga has incredible physical and mental health benefits. That you already know! So, let’s not talk about that and discuss how you can do yoga anytime and anywhere? With the best yoga apps, you can perform relaxing yoga asanas whenever you have free time. You can simply open a yoga app on your phone or […]
VPNs mask your internet protocol (IP) address so your online actions are virtually untraceable. – Norton It creates an encrypted tunnel for your data, protects your online identity by hiding your IP address. – NordVPN VPN is an online multi-purpose privacy service that allows you to establish a secure and private connection to another network without […]
Can’t download the latest iOS or iPadOS update on your device? Do you always get a Full Storage message whenever you try to install a new app or click a picture on your device? Then, ladies and gentlemen, it is a clear indication that you have to clear cache and free up storage space on […]
Losing your Instagram pics due to accidental deletion or careless usage of the app can be very frustrating. Especially if it happens to be your favorite photo with the most likes and comments. But you don’t have to worry because there are many ways through which you can recover deleted Instagram photos with ease. In […]
Stop Searching on Google what to eat, watch or drink. Start searching with Friendspire. Everyone loves foods, drinks, movies, TV shows, but are you, everyone? You’re not! You don’t just love these things you want to watch, eat, drink, read and listen to the best, right? So, what do you do to accomplish this? Like […]
Most email tracking software only tells you whether an email is opened or not. Whereas they should tell you why a person opened your email and how ready he or she is to become your customer. In the marketing funnel, emails play a king-size role. Therefore, you need an email tracker that answers — when […]
Video games are only for boys! Do you also think that? Well, no, digital games are for everyone — whether you want to kill monsters or dress up a Barbie. Today, girls can have all the gaming fun; they can cook, dress up, do makeup, and so much more. If you want to relive your […]
What do you eat? How do you eat? When do you eat? — directly reflects on how you feel or look. Today, planning your diet isn’t a cosmetic luxury; it is a way to lead a healthy life. But, it is easier to say than to do. When you have your favorite sugar-loaded dessert calling […]