How are Search Engines a Risk to Privacy
Can you imagine your life without the internet? Well, it’s quite difficult to manage our daily life without the internet, since it has become an important aspect in our daily lives. When it comes to the web, it’s safe to say that search engines play a very important role. Almost all of us use search engines every other day. Through various search engines such as Google, Bing, and many others, we get information we want. Now, people are even educating themselves about pretty much everything through these services. But, do you know that there’s a privacy threat when you use these services?
3 ways that your Privacy Could be at Risk when using Search Engines
Search Engines are the doorways to the vast internet, since most of us come to know about many websites through them. But, you got to be careful while using them.
- Exposure to Malware-embedded websites: Usually, many people blindly trust the websites they find through these search services. But, there are several websites out there that are infected with malware, virus, and other types of harmful elements. When we carelessly browse through such websites, there is a high probability of your device getting infected. These harmful components may steal your data and sometimes use it against you. Ransomware attacks are perfect examples for this phenomenon.
- Data Leaks: Many people are not really careful while submitting their information to search services or any other websites. Sometimes, you data may fall into the wrong hands and you can’t really do much when it happens. Data theft is a major cyber security issue. Your sensitive and confidential information could be posted on the online black markets as well.
- Redirection to phishing sites: One of the most-used hacking attack techniques is none other than the Phishing. Usually, hackers redirect you from a normal website to phishing websites through cloaking. If you’re not careful enough, you can easily get hacked. Then, your online account, including your private information will be accessible for the hackers.
How to use Search Engines Safely?
It’s not some rocket science to learn how to search safely and responsibly. Here are a few tips for you:
- Use Reputed Search Engines: There are many malicious websites out there, disguising themselves as a genuine search website. Avoid them at any cost. Only use well-known services such as Google, Bing, and similar others.
- Make use of Encryption: Many search engines now offer encrypted search modules. Since, encryption is a more secure way to operate online, try to go with the website that offers encrypted services.
- Remove Cookies periodically: Cookies track all of your activity with that particular website. So, in some cases, it could pose a serious threat to your privacy. It’s better to delete these temporary files regularly. You can do it either manually or by using any reputed cleaner software.
- Use a VPN: Virtual Private Network masks your IP address and protects your identity. By doing so, they also lets you hide your important information such as your location. So, get a reliable VPN and start using it while accessing internet.
- Be Cautious with your searches: Never use search terms that include your confidential details such as card details, ID number, or any other similar stuff. If such information falls into the wrong hands, it could lead to a disastrous end.
- Stop using Public Networks: When you search for something while using a public WiFi network, it’s usually much easier for someone to track your usage. Many malware attacks are conducted via public networks.
These are very simple yet effective steps that you could take to protect your privacy while using search engines. By now, you may have gotten a clear understanding on how search websites could be a risk to your privacy and how to handle the situation effectively. It’s now time for you to take these precautionary measures and secure your privacy. Feel free to comment below, if you’ve got anything to say about this topic.
How to Protect Your Electronics From Power Outages
Introduction: Our heavy reliance on electronics has become increasingly profound. From smartphones and laptops to home entertainment systems and valuable appliances, these devices play an indispensable role in our daily lives. However, the vulnerability of these electronics to unexpected power outages can lead to costly damages and data loss. Whether you live in an area […]
10 Best Screen Sharing Apps for iOS and Android
Introduction: Screen sharing has become crucial for seamless interaction in today’s interconnected world. With remote work, project collaborations, and staying connected being our everyday essentials, screen-sharing apps have evolved to meet our on-the-go needs, aligning perfectly with our constant companions. Well, you guessed it right, our smartphones and tablets. In this blog post, we have […]
How to Format an External Storage Device in macOS
Introduction: Are you ready to supercharge your Mac’s capabilities by connecting an external hard drive? Well, before you can embark on this storage adventure, there’s an important task at hand: formatting your external hard drive to work seamlessly with your Mac. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you […]
How to Install and Use PuTTY for Mac
Introduction: In the realm of remote server management and secure network communication, PuTTY has earned a reputation as a reliable and versatile tool. Originally designed for Windows, PuTTY has expanded its reach to include other operating systems, including macOS, to cater to the needs of a wider user base. Hence, if you’re a Mac user […]
How to Fix Black Screen at Boot on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Whether as an individual or a professional, we are all strictly reliant on technology in some or the other way. And amidst this, encountering frustrating issues like a black screen at boot hits us like a roadblock. The black screen boot issue can affect both laptops and desktop computers running various versions of Windows. […]
How to Fix the “Network Discovery is Turned Off” Error on Windows 11/10
Introduction: Among many common Windows errors, the “network discovery is turned off” error is an annoying obstacle that disrupts your workflow. Whether you’re trying to share files, stream media, or access shared printers, encountering this error can be perplexing and disruptive. The good news is that understanding the causes and solutions for this error can […]
How to Use the New Bing With ChatGPT
Introduction: Gone are the days of sifting through endless search results. With Bing, powered with ChatGPT, you can now ask questions in plain language and receive instant, personalized answers tailored to your needs. It’s like having a conversation with a knowledgeable search assistant right at your fingertips. So, agree or not, you are definitely in […]
How to Use Split Screen on a Mac
Introduction: In today’s fast-paced digital world, maximizing productivity is the key. Period. And being able to juggle multiple tasks seamlessly is a skill worth mastering. If you’re a Mac user looking to boost your multitasking abilities, you’re in luck. Apple’s macOS offers a powerful feature known as Split Screen, which allows you to effortlessly divide […]
How to Disable the Lock Screen on Windows 11
Introduction: In the world of productivity, every single second counts. The last thing anyone wants is to be hindered by unnecessary obstacles while using their computer. One such obstacle is the lock screen that appears every time you wake up your Windows device. Though it may appear as a minor inconvenience, those valuable seconds spent […]
How to Find Your iPhone From an Android Device?
Introduction Mobile phones are the necessary daily gadget that functions the maximum amount of work for the user and help to communicate with people. It will be a disaster if you lose your iPhone anywhere on the street or office and have no idea how to recover it. Mostly you will panic and return to […]