How are Search Engines a Risk to Privacy
Can you imagine your life without the internet? Well, it’s quite difficult to manage our daily life without the internet, since it has become an important aspect in our daily lives. When it comes to the web, it’s safe to say that search engines play a very important role. Almost all of us use search engines every other day. Through various search engines such as Google, Bing, and many others, we get information we want. Now, people are even educating themselves about pretty much everything through these services. But, do you know that there’s a privacy threat when you use these services?
3 ways that your Privacy Could be at Risk when using Search Engines
Search Engines are the doorways to the vast internet, since most of us come to know about many websites through them. But, you got to be careful while using them.
- Exposure to Malware-embedded websites: Usually, many people blindly trust the websites they find through these search services. But, there are several websites out there that are infected with malware, virus, and other types of harmful elements. When we carelessly browse through such websites, there is a high probability of your device getting infected. These harmful components may steal your data and sometimes use it against you. Ransomware attacks are perfect examples for this phenomenon.
Read Also: Best Android Security Features
- Data Leaks: Many people are not really careful while submitting their information to search services or any other websites. Sometimes, you data may fall into the wrong hands and you can’t really do much when it happens. Data theft is a major cyber security issue. Your sensitive and confidential information could be posted on the online black markets as well.
- Redirection to phishing sites: One of the most-used hacking attack techniques is none other than the Phishing. Usually, hackers redirect you from a normal website to phishing websites through cloaking. If you’re not careful enough, you can easily get hacked. Then, your online account, including your private information will be accessible for the hackers.
How to use Search Engines Safely?
It’s not some rocket science to learn how to search safely and responsibly. Here are a few tips for you:
- Use Reputed Search Engines: There are many malicious websites out there, disguising themselves as a genuine search website. Avoid them at any cost. Only use well-known services such as Google, Bing, and similar others.
- Make use of Encryption: Many search engines now offer encrypted search modules. Since, encryption is a more secure way to operate online, try to go with the website that offers encrypted services.
- Remove Cookies periodically: Cookies track all of your activity with that particular website. So, in some cases, it could pose a serious threat to your privacy. It’s better to delete these temporary files regularly. You can do it either manually or by using any reputed cleaner software.
- Use a VPN: Virtual Private Network masks your IP address and protects your identity. By doing so, they also lets you hide your important information such as your location. So, get a reliable VPN and start using it while accessing internet.
- Be Cautious with your searches: Never use search terms that include your confidential details such as card details, ID number, or any other similar stuff. If such information falls into the wrong hands, it could lead to a disastrous end.
- Stop using Public Networks: When you search for something while using a public WiFi network, it’s usually much easier for someone to track your usage. Many malware attacks are conducted via public networks.
These are very simple yet effective steps that you could take to protect your privacy while using search engines. By now, you may have gotten a clear understanding on how search websites could be a risk to your privacy and how to handle the situation effectively. It’s now time for you to take these precautionary measures and secure your privacy. Feel free to comment below, if you’ve got anything to say about this topic.
Learning management system, aka LMS, is the new way of learning. LMS is developed to help individual’s to create, manage and provide online courses. It allows students and teachers to learn and demonstrate their skills anytime and anywhere. Today, there are so many different LMS software available in the market with vivid features and functions, […]
As a new MacBook owner, you might be surprised by how much the computer has to offer. Apple engineers push for new macOS updates that come with the latest features and improve the overall user experience. If you are still new to the macOS environment, it is possible that you have not discovered quite a […]
The emergence of remote workers has been on the rise for the last few years. This is with a good reason as well. The e-learning solutions provided are not only for employees. Organizations are also implementing them in their day-to-day activities. Working remotely means that you have flexible schedules. You can be able to plan […]
If you are a Mac user, you probably already have a bittersweet relationship with Mac Finder. It is an indeed powerful file manager and graphical user interface tool for Macintosh. But, despite being the default Apple program, it lacks many features. Plus, Apple hasn’t made any efforts to update Finder in a long time. However, […]
It’s common knowledge that compressed zip files are easy to share and help to free space on your disk. However, if you want to extract data from your zipped files, you need a zip file extractor. A tool that can decompress your data quickly and make it easily accessible for you. Usually, a zip tool […]
Does a little permanent black or colored spot on your LCD, OLED, or TFT screen annoy you? If yes, then before calling a repair guy or ordering a new screen, wait for a second and try to understand the stuck pixel concept. Once you get the hang of pixels, you can save your warranty for […]
In the current scenario of an online environment, Porn is all over the Internet. Online Pornography has become a bad habit of digital life. Children are growing up in the digital world. Every kid has access to smartphones. Using smartphones, any kid can easily access the Internet. Thus, it has increased the kid’s risk of […]
Is your brand new laptop bloated with unwanted programs? Unfortunately, then, you are not the only one who is struggling with bloatware. That’s because Microsoft is no longer stronger on bloatware. However, the good thing is that you can remove bloatware in Windows 10 easily. Today, a new Microsoft device is swamped with a series […]
Are you worried about your kids wandering off to the dark side of the internet? Do you want to ensure the safety of your kids online? If yes, you have probably considered using parental controls to keep your children away from risky internet behavior. Here is our review for the latest parental control solution in […]
Correctly, get back deleted or lost pictures from the hard drive or SD card. To relive happy moments spent with family and friends we capture them, and nobody wants to lose these digital memories, right? Yet due to unforeseen situations like accidentally deleting pictures, hard drive failure, natural disaster, corrupt hard disk, and formatting the […]
Since the Internet has grown to be the main source for entertainment, socializing, news, information, and more, we hardly ever think about how it works. It is informative and helpful, however just like a physical playground, there’s scope for harm within the online world, particularly for children who may not be absolutely aware of the […]
Whether you wish to share your Macintosh with your kids, friends, or colleagues, it’s better to create a new user account to maintain your privacy. With separate Mac accounts, every person can have their own settings like application preferences, iCloud account details, and password-protect their personal data. Most importantly, the process of adding users to […]
The PDF formats have extremely important uses nowadays. One of the main reasons that pdf format is used is because it cannot be modified by others. They are easy to transfer and are commonly used in business, education, and health. We can convert a whole book and lengthy reports into pdfs. Sometimes the size of […]
Are you preparing for an IT certification course? If yes, you need to install Visual Certification Exam software in your system right away. Why? That’s because online IT course materials and certifications are available in VCE file format. So, if you have an exam coming up soon, you need a VCE suit to open the […]
Restore lost or deleted files from any storage media using Tenorshare 4DDiG. Losing important files, images, videos, or for that matter any data is no fun. It leaves us all anxious, frustrated, and stressed. What’s worse, when we don’t have a backup and the same file is urgently required. This creates panic and makes you […]