In the world where a day starts with a controversial tweet and ends with an inappropriate WhatsApp message, it is very difficult to keep young children and teenagers away from social media. Social media is a slow poison that slowly lures youngsters’ minds and makes them vulnerable and weak.
But, today, social media apps are so much integrated into youngsters’ lifestyle that it’s hard for parents to pull their kids out of the grip of these dangerous apps. However, thanks to parental control apps which is assisting parents to monitor and regulate the online activities of their children.
6 Unsafe Apps You Should be Aware Of
WhatsApp is a revolutionary instant messaging app that has totally replaced traditional SMS. This app lets you send text messages, images, and videos in individual and group chat format. WhatsApp users can share live locations, status and so much more. But, it can be a little weapon in the hands of teenagers and children as –
- Group chats can be used to spread rumors and bully people
- It can make children lose their focus
- WhatsApp messages are encrypted so can’t be reported. Thus, it become important to monitor WhatsApp messages.
- Inappropriate content can be easily shared as no one is watching over the content
This yellow monster app gives the facility to send photos, short videos or text messages to your friends. Media shared as snaps usually disappear after 24 hours, but it can be saved in the form of a screenshot. So, it is a dangerous app if not used carefully as –
- If you are not using ghost mode, then your location is at a full public display
- Screenshot of images can be taken
- Anyone can send you request for sexual content
- Bullying on Snapchat is very common
Kik is a kicking free instant messaging app with the option to send text and multimedia messages to a group or individual just like WhatsApp. However, the feature of talking to chatbots and Meet New People that let you start the conversation with random people is dangerous for young minds as –
- Your children can be contacted by strangers
- Inappropriate content can be sent without any filtering
It is a Chinese video app that enables users to create and share short videos with millions of special effects. In the first quarter of 2018, TikTok made a record with an estimated 45.8 million downloads. This app is highly popular among children below 16 and that’s dangerous stuff because it is found in an investigation – TikTok fails to remove online predators who are sending inappropriate content and causing lots of trouble –
- This app is an open call to bullies
- Sexual comments and crude videos are freely shared
- Users age isn’t verified before using TikTok
The virtual dating trend has been established by tinder where users can create a short description and upload their pictures before start looking for other people in their area whom they want to meet and date. This app is incredibly popular among curios teenagers between the ages group of 13 to 17. Due to short descriptions and local connection search features – it becomes a popular app. But, popularity doesn’t mean that Tinder is safe for teens and tweens. It is categorized as one of the most dangerous apps as –
- Bullies and predators use this app to target innocent teen
- Tinder reveals the exact location of the people
- Fake profiles are a common problem on the app
- The app encourages personal meetings which could be highly dangerous
- It is a hookup app so sexual content flows freely here
- It encourages superficial behavior as people judge you based on your photographs
It is a video and photo-sharing app where users can post stories and comment on strangers’ content. You can follow famous personalities, your friends, family, and various companies on Instagram. It is a Facebook powered app so allow live streaming as well. The open environment of Instagram is very dangerous for teenagers as –
- Anyone can leave crude and sexual comments on your posts
- Strangers can follow and message you
- It is very common to see inappropriate content on Instagram
- Bullying is an unavoidable part of the app
Parents need to identify hidden threats lurking around the popular social media apps so that they can protect their kids. But, it is very difficult for parents to keep their children away from the engaging apps, thus parents need to use parental control apps to keep a tab on their children’s online activities. Today, protecting children from social media is a vital part of parenting.